Thread: Kelly Clarkson gives in to American Idol

Default Kelly Clarkson gives in to American Idol

Former "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson, subject to a scolding from Simon Cowell for not letting her songs be used by new contestants on the show, has agreed to do so, a spokesman said Wednesday.

Roger Widynowski, from Clarkson's Sony BMG record label, said Clarkson's management was negotiating with the show over which songs will be used.

A day earlier, he said Clarkson was not allowing any of her songs to be licensed for other purposes. He said on Wednesday that he had not been informed by her management that negotiations were under way, and that Clarkson would allow it on a "case-by-case basis."

That was also a day after "American Idol" judge Cowell sharply criticized her.

"I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

Clarkson has become a major star in the past year, with her hit "Since U Been Gone" earning both massive sales and critical respect, particularly from a rock community that has looked upon "American Idol" contestants warily. Her album "Breakaway" earned a Grammy nomination for best pop vocal album.

"American Idol" must obtain permission from owners of song licenses before the music can be used on the show. While many love the exposure, some artists - the Beatles, for one - like to rigidly control use of their music.

Clarkson, in an interview with The Associated Press last year, said she knows she'll always be identified as an "American Idol," and she has no problems with that.

"That's where I got my start," she said. "They always talk about the big first thing that you did. I think the only thing that I do mind is I don't want people to only focus on that."
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8F7HBFG9.html

SVZ

Default Re: Kelly Clarkson gives in to American Idol

good for her to try to distance herself from american idol. but it's the only reason she's so famous.

but then again she is the only idol that's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    good for her to try to distance herself from american idol. but it's the only reason she's so famous.

but then again she is the only idol that's still around.
    I don't think American Idol is the only reason she's famous. I have never watched that show and don't associate it with her when I hear her on the radio. While she may have gotten her break there, that doesn't mean she might not have been discovered elsewhere. It's talent that will keep her going now.

Also, if she is the only one that lasted beyond the show then it seems to me that American Idol needs to be linked to her name more than she needs to be linked to them.

I like Kelly Clarkson, I have both her cds-I think she has a beautiful voice. When I heard this I was shocked...if it wasn't for AI, she would still be waiting tables wherever she came from.
    She doesn't owe AI everything-her voice and talent are hers-they didn't invent that, but they gave her the opportunity to show the world what she has. I think she should be appreciative and flattered if someone wants to sing one of her songs in hopes of 'making it' like she did. That should be the ultimate form of flattery IMO...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

some artists - the Beatles, for one - like to rigidly control use of their music.
    I thought that evil bastard Michael Jackson still controlled all The Beatles music.

I remember seeing McCartney in an interview saying that around the time "Say Say Say" came out, he'd mentioned to MJ that he was going to purchase the rights to all of The Beatles music. Then, MJ went and outbid McCartney for them and McCartney was furious, especially because MJ gave Nike permission to use "Revolution" in a commercial.

Maybe Jackson has sold them recently.

One more reason MJ is a complete and total piece of shit.

Elite Member

You can't blame her for not wanting to see one of her songs butchered by some caterwauling wannabe on national TV.

But, I think ultimately she didn't have a choice, the management company that produces AI "owns" Kelly (she is under contract to them), but I hope that she is getting paid well for giving them the rights to her songs.

Thread Information