Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pete Wentz admits he has bipolar disorder

Default Pete Wentz admits he has bipolar disorder

In an interview with Q magazine, Fall Out Boy bassist and songwriter Pete Wentz revealed that he has bipolar disorder.

Wentz told the magazine: "I have manic depression. I obsess over everything. When I am depressed, I can't get out of bed. But right now, it's sunny and 65 in my head, so it's OK!"

The 28-year-old musician said he has been on medication since he was 18. "I am on anti-anxiety medicine," said Wentz. "The technical term is Lorazepam. I am supposed to be on antidepressants but I think it's part of my neuroses that I don't take them."

He also revealed that his parents' breakup on his sixth birthday left him unable to express his feelings. "I turned my emotions off like a faucet. I didn't cry until I was, like, 22."

The interview appears in the current issue of the UK music magazine.

Pete Wentz Admits He Has Bipolar Disorder

blah, blah, blah.
    I don't believe in this "bipolar" crap.
    I think the medical field just makes up illnesses now so people will spend money on visits and medicine.

(sorry to anyone that has this problem but everyone I know, that is supposed to have this, just says they do to get drugs, oh and one guy pretends to have it so he can get disability.)

WOW ... a bi-polar bi-sexual!

What other "bi's" are still in his closet??

Pete Wentz Admits He Has Douchebag Disorder

well I actually study psychology and want my own private practice one day- bipolar disorder is very real and needs to be treated right away (it can go undiagnosed for years)

just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    blah, blah, blah.
    I think the medical field just makes up illnesses now so people will spend money on visits and medicine.

(sorry to anyone that has this problem but everyone I know, that is supposed to have this, just says they do to get drugs, oh and one guy pretends to have it so he can get disability.)

blah, blah, blah.

The drugs used to treat that aren't like getting high...it's not like pain pills or even xanax or valium.
    The diagnosis is very real...

All kidding aside......Bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder are very real disorders. People disparage these things because they think people are "lazy" or can just "snap out of it," but these are real afflictions and cause a lot of pain and suffering.

Pete is still a douchebag though.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    The drugs used to treat that aren't like getting high...it's not like pain pills or even xanax or valium.
    The diagnosis is very real...
    Oh they get xanax and valium and that's the ones I know want.
    I am sorry, I will never believe in this, I just can't do it. I know too many people that have been told they have this and it's a lie, it's just for the drugs and the fact they can get out of work to lay around on their lazy asses all day.
    Again, it's just my opinion, but I look back even in the 80's you didn't hear about stuff like this. People didn't have to get all medicated up because they were depressed and lazy.

Maybe if I met someone that really did have it I might would agree, but when I can count the people I know on my hands and NONE of them really have it (and they will tell you they are faking) then I find the Dr's to be quacks that just want to make a quick buck.

blah, blah, blah.

Bi-polar *is* very fucking real. If he has it, my empathy is towards him, it can be a living hell for those who have it and those around them at times. At times benzos -- diazepam, lorazepam etc are the only thing that can calm them down.

People have been diagnosed with behavioral disorders for some time. It has nothing to do with being lazy. There is a great deal of medical evidence that people with behavioral afflictions are "wired" differently and the chemicals in their bodies are out of whack.

I have never met a doctor who prescribed medication willy-nilly. They do everything they can to use non-medicinal ways to treat behavioral disorders, and if that doesn't work, they start the patient on a low-dose of whatever meds will equalize the chemical imbalance.

Well, the people who use a sickness to get drugs are pieces of shit, and it makes it tough on the people who are actually sick.
    I am sure we didn't hear about a lot of different illnesses years ago. That's why people were running around all fucked up. No one knew really what was wrong until research was done.
    There are people who will do anything to get high and I think it is pretty unfair to say that a documented mental disorder is a fake because you happen to know the people who use BPD to get their drugs. I assure you the people who deal with it daily know that it is real.

wow how ignorant

it's because of brain chemistry and genetics, not laziness. Bipolar disorder is treated with anti-depressants combined with a mood stabilizer (i.e. lithium)- you can't get high off those medications or use them for recreation purposes.

xanax and valium are anti-anxiety medications, they aren't usually prescribed to people with bipolar disorder unless the individual also has General Anxiety Disorder or Depressive/Anxiety Disorder (or another similar illness). Or if they need to be calmed down during a manic state. Depression is not about laziness, and people with that notion are the reason mental illness is still so taboo in society.

For the record most medical professionals are conservative in giving out medications. They also don't make a DIME by prescribing extra drugs to people. A psychiatrist seeing a patient on one medication would make the same amount of money as one seeing a patient on 10 meds.I am studying to become a clinical psychologist, so your ideas about mental health professionals are somewhat offensive to be quite honest. But I'm sure you've offended people who actually suffer from these illnesses more. In the 80's people did have mental illnesses, in fact psychological disorders date back to the start of time (they were depicted in Greek mythology actually). Later on, those suffering would be given brain operations (like split brains) or taken away from society and put in cages in dirty, abusive institutions (although I'm guessing you haven't studied the history of psychology since you think it's a crock anyway)- it's just that there weren't as many treatment options back then and it was more taboo. There was not as much scientific research and technological resources back then.

I decided I wanted to get a PhD in psych because I love helping people, not because I am "looking for a quick buck." I hope someday you meet someone who actually suffers from a mental illness and they change your views.

Oh they get xanax and valium and that's the ones I know want.
    I am sorry, I will never believe in this, I just can't do it. I know too many people that have been told they have this and it's a lie, it's just for the drugs and the fact they can get out of work to lay around on their lazy asses all day.
    Again, it's just my opinion, but I look back even in the 80's you didn't hear about stuff like this. People didn't have to get all medicated up because they were depressed and lazy.

Maybe if I met someone that really did have it I might would agree, but when I can count the people I know on my hands and NONE of them really have it (and they will tell you they are faking) then I find the Dr's to be quacks that just want to make a quick buck.
    Last edited by nycgirl; August 8th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Well, Dr's here are different then. My mom tried to kill herself several months ago. She's od'ed on 6 bottles of sleeping pills, xanex and pain pills. They locked her up in the nut ward for 3 days and then sent her home with 150 demerol pills.....if that's not just plain stupid and willy-nilly then I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    wow how ignorant

it's because of brain chemistry and genetics, not laziness. Bipolar disorder is treated with anti-depressants combined with a mood stabilizer (i.e. lithium)- you can't get high off those medications

xanax and valium are anti-anxiety medications, they aren't prescribed to people with bipolar disorder
    Um, yes they do, around here. I'm not saying they don't give them other drugs but they do give this these medications too. I know people with this condition. My mom, my mom's neighbor.....I can go on and on.

Around here all you have to do is go to the Dr, tell them you can't sleep, you are having panic attacks and bam, you get pills.

Again, you all have your opinion and I have mine. I just know most of the people that I have seen with this condition do NOTHING all day but sit in their house, doped up. If they would get out of their shell and do something with their time they may not feel the need to be depressed and down with life.
    And please don't call someone ignorant!

Sure, there are doctors out there who over medicate and over prescribe, but in turn, there are doctors who won't. A drug addict will go from doctor to doctor, emergency room to emergency room to find the drugs they want/need. Somewhere they will find a doctor that either doesn't give a shit or that they can fool. We dealt with that with an aunt years ago. We even tried to tell the doctor she was going to what was up. He wouldn't give her anything, but all it took was a short trip to a neighboring town and she had her shit. She died in her sleep 8 years ago in her mid 40's. My grandmother found her in her bed.
    Sweetie, I do empathize with your mother's situation, but that doesn't mean everyone with mental problems are lying. The ones who abuse the system make it hard for the seriously ill ones.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information