Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katie Couric slapped staffer after being forced to hear the word "Sputum"

Default Katie Couric slapped staffer after being forced to hear the word "Sputum"

Katie Couric Admits Slapping Staffer

MONDAY JULY 09, 2007 11:00 AM EDT
    By Tim Nudd
    CBS Evening News host Katie Couric has revealed the toll that low ratings have taken on her confidence and composure, admitting she has second-guessed her move to CBS at times and even slapped a staffer on set.

In a lengthy profile in New York magazine, the former Today show anchor is self-critical but defiant – acknowledging that her transition has been far from smooth and railing against her detractors, particularly those who criticize her anonymously in the press.

"It's damaging, and it's really tacky," she says. "And I would be so embarrassed to be one of these petty, behind-the-scenes operators who get some kind of charge out of trashing someone. I'm not perfect; I'm sure I've said unkind things about people in my career and life, but people getting their jollies from seeing it in print is so creepy and weird to me. And if you're so unhappy, get another job!"

Her frustration boiled over in June, after news editor Jerry Cipriano used the word "sputum," a word she detests, in a piece about tuberculosis. Couric subsequently slapped Cipriano "over and over and over again" on the arm, according to eyewitnesses.

"I sort of slapped him around," Couric admits. "I got mad at him and said, 'You can't do this to me. You have to tell me when you're going to use a word like that.' I was aggravated, there's no question about that." (She adds that the pair made up, and the incident became a kind of running joke on the set.)

After a big opening night back in September 2006, Couric's ratings have slipped steadily, and CBS has tinkered with her newscast, desperately seeking a formula that works. For Couric, a consistent ratings winner with Today, it has been unfamiliar territory, and she admits occasionally wondering why she took the job.

"I have days when I'm like, 'Oh my God, what did I do?' But for some weird reason, they don't happen that often," she says.

For now, Couric is vowing to continue as host of the news program. But other possibilities aren't out of the question, including an expanded role on 60 Minutes.

"If it turns out [the news] wasn't a perfect fit," she says, "then, you know, I'll do something else that's really exciting and fulfilling for me."
    Katie Couric Admits Slapping Staffer - Katie Couric : People.com
    Last edited by Novice; July 9th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

katie does get on my nerves with that big goofy smile ... I know it's a fake...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

she doesn't like a word? boo frickety hoo. grow the fuck up, little girl.

SPUTUM SPUTUM SPUTUM
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

WTF? Sputum is a perfectly respectable word. TB isn't pretty. Katie Couric is a tool. Let her get a horrid respiratory infection and then she'll know what 'damaging' is.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don't understand why she left The Today Show. There's something to be said for trying new things, but when you're making what she was with the benefits she must've gotten, it really doesn't make much sense.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What? She can't handle hearing the word sputum but she can handle telling the world about hundreds of soldiers deaths?
    Last edited by Sweetie; July 9th, 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    WTF? Sputum is a perfectly respectable word. TB isn't pretty. Katie Couric is a tool. Let her get a horrid respiratory infection and then she'll know what 'damaging' is.

Seriously.

You know whenever someone says "Katie Couric"...I get the urge to slap someone.

Uh, did no one in CBS' PR department view this article before it went to print? Or is this their way to have another reason to let her go?

What the hell??? She didn't like a word so she starts slapping the guy on the arm? If I was that guy I would've ripped Katie a new one and that would've been that.

She does not like the word sputum? Would she prefer loogie? She was smart, she hit a guy, knowing he probably would not have hit her back. I want her to slap some crazy bitch. Watch that disgusting smile get knocked off her face.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I don't understand why she left The Today Show. There's something to be said for trying new things, but when you're making what she was with the benefits she must've gotten, it really doesn't make much sense.
    That's an interesting point. I wonder if maybe she was "let go" because interest in her was declining and she was not aging well. She couldn't really pull off the "cute perky cheerleader" act anymore. But then they replaced her with Meredith Vieira, who I think is truly awful and just out of her league... so, who knows!!

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

After Columbine and 9/11 I grew to really dislike KC. She seemed too secretly gleeful that she was getting to report all this bad news and her concern seemed so phony. She was okay until she started believing her own press about Today being good. Maybe it was when ML came and she gained seniority on the show. Either way, I just got where I could not stand her and I used to really like her a lot.

She likes the word penis, because she used it many times during the Clinton/ Monica-gate scandal.

I heard she doesn't like the word 'panties' either.

"I hate the word panties. It's a cheesy word for underpants."
    What I've Learned: Katie Couric - Â* MSN Lifestyle: Boomers

I hate the name Katie. I'm going to slap her because she has it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information