Thread: Kelly Clarkson cancels tour over slow sales

Default Kelly Clarkson cancels tour over slow sales

Clarkson cancels tour over slow sales - Yahoo! News

Just two days after parting ways with her manager, Kelly Clarkson has canceled her upcoming summer tour over disappointing ticket sales, yet another sign of turmoil as she prepares to release her third album, "My December."
    In a statement on her Web site, Clarkson said: "In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer. The fact is that touring is just too much too soon.
    "But I promise you that we're going to get back out there as soon as is humanly possible to give you a show that will be even better," she added.
    In a statement released by her new representative, Paul Freundlich, it acknowledged the sales for the arena tour have been slow. The tour will be on hold and the size of it will be re-evaluated, the statement said.
    "The day when she will play in sold-out arenas is, no doubt, coming, but for now her fans should look forward to seeing her in a more intimate concert environment," Gregg Perloff, CEO of concert promoter Another Planet Entertainment, said in the statement. "Kelly deserves a tremendous amount of praise for her courage in not only being a part of, but in supporting, this difficult decision."
    This is the latest problem to beset the Grammy-winning singer amid the release of her third album, due out on June 26, the follow-up to her multiplatinum disc "Breakway." The 2004 album was a critical success that showed her success went beyond being a former "American Idol." Clarkson helped write some of the songs on that disc, including the hit ballad "Because of You."
    But this spring, reports surfaced that record mogul Clive Davis, who oversees the RCA label for which Clarkson records, was dissatisfied with the direction of the new record and had clashed with Clarkson over it.
    In an interview with Associated Press Television in May, Clarkson said media reports of a feud between the two were exaggerated but acknowledged there was tension.
    "There's always this battle, and it's not a bad battle to have," she explained. "I mean, you obviously don't want `yes' people around you. And, obviously, (Davis) and others at the label have been in the business far longer than I have. So you obviously take their opinions in."
    In the end, though, "I always go with my gut," she said. "My gut has obviously done pretty well for me thus far, so I don't see why I shouldn't keep listening to it."
    But the first single from "My December," the angry rock song "Never Again," was not a huge hit, and while it peaked at No. 8 on the Billboard chart, it quickly fell from the top 10 and is now at No. 17.
    This week, she fired her manager, Jeff Kwatinetz of The Firm management group.
    Clarkson's tour was expected to kick off with her performance at the Live Earth concert July 7 at East Rutherford, N.J. and end in Phoenix. Now, Clarkson's only performance is slated to be at the Live Earth concert, part of a global series of performances to raise awareness about environmental issues.
    Refunds will be given for those who purchased tickets to Clarkson's tour.

personally? i think since she sort of changed her style, that it really hurt her
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

SVZ

Bleh this is BS.

What about small indie bands that tour around the country in a fucking van that's falling apart?

If a musician doesn't even want to go through that to perform, I doubt their sincerity. So what if you're not playing to sold out arenas? It's the music right?

Elite Member

I don't think it's an ego thing...they just overestimated ticket sales. She'll still tour, but it will be in the fall in smaller venues.

Good for her for trying new things with her music, even against the advice of her label.

I feel badly for Kelly. While it's good to do your own thing and try to find your groove as a songwriter, her new songs are just not strong enough, or radio friendly enough to do well, never mind match her past sales. I've heard the leaked album and she's just not a good enough songwriter yet, the songs are okay but forgettable.

She should have listened to Clive. Or at least compromised with 2 or 3 surefire songs he approved. Too bad, because I think she has a great voice.

She a musical chameleon and the public is fickle.

She just seems to have let her..status get to her..

Her first album was GREAT! I sounded like she was very angry at "men" but still the songs were catchy...To be honest I haven't seen her doing too much promotion work so maybe that's hurting her...maybe she should get some fakes and lose 20 lbs out of the tummy and butt...THEN WE ARE TALKING RECORD $ALE$

Kelly has an incredible voice, a true talent. She and Christina Aguilera have two of the best voices out there today, in my opinion.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I took my daughter and a group of her friends to see Kelly last July and her show was great. I say this based on her voice alone. Her stage presence was not strong. She needs to learn how to move on stage a little better and to connect with the audience. If she gets that under control there will be no stopping her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Her first album was GREAT! I sounded like she was very angry at "men" but still the songs were catchy...To be honest I haven't seen her doing too much promotion work so maybe that's hurting her...maybe she should get some fakes and lose 20 lbs out of the tummy and butt...THEN WE ARE TALKING RECORD $ALE$
    what? why? why does someone have to be thin? or near thin in order to sell albums?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Bleh this is BS.

What about small indie bands that tour around the country in a fucking van that's falling apart?

If a musician doesn't even want to go through that to perform, I doubt their sincerity. So what if you're not playing to sold out arenas? It's the music right?
    Exactly. As an indie musician, I play whenever and wherever and I take time off whenever I want. I love that kind of freedom.

But cancelling a tour over slow sales? That's ridiculous. If you're born to sing, f*ck sales and just SING.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    But cancelling a tour over slow sales? That's ridiculous. If you're born to sing, f*ck sales and just SING.
    I agree with you in theory, but she's got to pay the crew and the load of people that work on the tour. If she's not selling tickets, she's either paying them out of pocket or not paying them at all.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^There's still a way to do it. I'm broke, and I find a way to get out there.

Thread Information