Thread: Prince Harry and Prince William's interview with Matt Lauer

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Prince Harry and Prince William's interview with Matt Lauer

THE PRINCES SPEAK
    Tue Jun 12 2007 11:17:25 ET

In their first-ever American television interview, Prince William and Prince Harry of Wales joined NBC News’ Matt Lauer for an exclusive interview airing Monday, June 18 on “Today” (7-10 AM ET) and “Dateline NBC” (10-11 PM ET). Lauer talked with the two Princes last month at their London residence, Clarence House, in this wide-ranging interview.

This August marks the tenth anniversary of the tragic death of their mother, Princess Diana. In her honor Prince William and Prince Harry have organized a concert to be held in London on her July 1st birthday. The Princes talked with Lauer about why they decided to honor their mother in this fashion, how they will memorialize her on this anniversary, and the paths their lives have taken since her untimely death.

Among the topics discussed with the Princes are their thoughts on trying to lead a normal life-- what they remember of their mother and her challenge to do so, their feelings about the public’s fascination with them, and how this affects all aspects of their personal lives.

Additionally, the Princes discuss their opinions of America, the fact that they have an image here, what they would do if they were not royalty, and what their childhood nicknames were.

RE: THEIR ATTEMPTS TO LEAD A NORMAL LIFE:

LAUER: Your mom used to say that one of her main concerns for you two was that you live as normal lives as possible.

PRINCE WILLIAM: Um-hm

PRINCE HARRY: Um-hm

LAUER: So ten years later do you think she would be happy or saddened by the state of normalcy?

PRINCE HARRY: I think she'd be happy in the way that we're going about it but slightly unhappy about the way the other people were going about it as in saying, "Look you're-- you're not normal so stop tryin' to be normal," which is very much what we get a lot. You know it's like stop tryin' to be normal. You-- You-- You've got certain responsibilities. Which obviously we do, and we know we have certain responsibilities. But within our-- within our private life and within certain other parts of our life we wanna be as normal as possible. And yes it's hard -- cause to a certain respect we never will be normal.

RE. IT BEING THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THEIR MOTHER’S DEATH

LAUER: As I was leaving the States telling people I was gonna come talk to you-- as you're about to mark the tenth anniversary of your mom's death I can't tell you how many people said, "Wow has it been ten years?" That it seems like two years or it seems like three years. How has the time gone by for you two?

PRINCE HARRY: Personally really, really slowly actually. It's weird because I think when she -- she passed away there was never that time -- there was never that sort of lull. There was never that sort of peace and quiet for any of us - the fact that her face was always splattered on the paper the whole time.

Over the last ten years I personally feel as though she has been-- she's always there. She's always being a constant reminder to both of us and everybody else. And therefore I think when you're being reminded about it, it does take a lot longer and it's a lot slower.

LAUER: Does it feel the same way for you?

PRINCE WILLIAM: Yeah I mean-- again just for my personal opinion, when you knew somebody or someone that important to you -- you always think about you know. I mean -- so after it happened we were always you know always thinking about it. And there's not a day goes by I don't think you know that I don't think about it once in the day. And so for us is a very slow and it's a lot-- it has been a long time.

PRINCE HARRY: You know when people think about it they think about her death. They think about you know how wrong it was. They think about you know whatever happened. I don't know for-- for me personally whatever happened you know that night. Whatever happened in that tunnel. You know no one will ever know. And I'm sure people will always think about that the whole time.

LAUER: Have you stopped wondering?

PRINCE HARRY: I'll never stop wondering about that.

RE. THE CHALLENGES OF FORMING RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS:

PRINCE WILLIAM: I don't wanna be liked by someone just because of who I am. You know, I don't want the sycophantic, you know, people hanging around, you know?

LAUER: But you can tell those people right off the bat, can't you?

PRINCE WILLIAM: You can, yeah. Although some-- you know, some of them are--

PRINCE HARRY: Yeah, you can--

PRINCE WILLIAM: --are better than others.

PRINCE HARRY: --some of them-- some of them are good at playing along.

LAUER: Because obviously there's also a lot to lose if someone befriends you. You've got a lot of people out there who wanna make money.

PRINCE HARRY: But at the same time, you gotta understand that it's just as hard for our friends as it is for us -- there's a massive element of trust. You look surprised when I say that. But the reason I say that is because our friends have to put up with a lot-- when it comes to us.

LAUER: So the baggage is two-sided.

PRINCE WILLIAM: There's a lot of baggage that comes with us, trust me. A lot of baggage.

RE. WHAT THEY WOULD BE IF THEY WEREN’T PRINCES

LAUER: If your last name weren't "Windsor," if it were "Smith" or "Jones," and you didn't have the duties that you were born into, what would you wanna do professionally?

PRINCE HARRY: All sorts of things.

LAUER: Like what?

PRINCE WILLIAM: Well, when I was younger, I wanted to be a policeman. And I wouldn't wanna be that now. (LAUGHTER)

LAUER: The most popular cop on the block.

PRINCE WILLIAM: Yeah, exactly.

LAUER: What would you wanna do?

PRINCE HARRY: I think it's-- it's--

PRINCE WILLIAM: I don't know. It's a really tricky question. I guess. I'd like to fly helicopters, definitely. I'd like to be some sort of heli pilot, you know, working for the UN maybe or something like that. Go off and do some, you know, I'd have to be doing something active -- outside and doing sort of fun stuff but with an edge to helping people.

LAUER: What about you, Harry?

PRINCE WILLIAM: He'd probably sit and play computer games and drink beer. (LAUGHTER)

PRINCE HARRY: Oh, thanks a lot. No, honestly, I don't know how well this would get on, but I'd probably live in Africa. I'd, you know, I'd like to spend all my time out there.

LAUER: In a humanitarian aspect?

PRINCE HARRY: Both. It would be a humanitarian aspect and as well as a sort of a safari aspect. I would have to get a job. So it would probably be a safari guide.

DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2007®
    You know, I thought, you know, these two, you know, were educated at, you know, Eton. And I thought, you know, that Eton, you know, would teach them to be, you know, eloquent.

But you know? I was kind of, you know, touched by, you know, Harry's comment that he'll never stop wondering what happened in the tunnel. I remember him clenching and unclenching his fists at the funeral and was moved then as well...you know?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I also wouldn't have expected them to use so many "you knows," but I don't think that they are used to giving interviews and I can imagine that talking about such personal things must be difficult.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Sure, but I still can't believe they sound like every other teenager on the block...and they're not teenagers. Thank goodness every other word wasn't 'like'.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

[quote=buttmunch;702919Thank goodness every other word wasn't 'like'.[/quote]

No, that phrase is reserved for California "royalty"...

at least he didn't say ...ya know w'am sayin'.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow I'm suprised they acknowledged the mystery surrounding what really may or may not have happened in that tunnel and the botched investigation. I thought they were either in denial or would rather not think about that sort of stuff. poor kids. they were the first thing i thought about when i learned of her death on the tvs at the electronics dept. of the store i was in!

on another note: omg helicopter pilot and safari guide?! these kids are soooo outta touch w/ reality its just like AJ Soprano wanting to be Donald Trumps personal helicopter pilot!!! hilarious!

Silver Member

You can see pretty obviously that the use of 'you know' is a stall tactic, for when they are thinking or when it's something they're finding difficult to put into words.

You'd be surprised how many irritating little things every person comes out with, you quite often don't notice your own which is why one of the first things they do when you take the legal professional courses (to become a solicitor or barrister) is to record you on video or dvd. You then have to watch your own presentation (which is bloody excruciating) pick up on your own ticks and nervous gestures/phrases, have other people critique you, and you have to learn what those gestures and phrases are, and learn to control them to the point where you don't start saying 'you know' a dozen times or in my case, flipping your hair back and saying a couple of words slowly whilst getting the brain in gear, then speaking at normal speed again. Transcripts are a pain in the arse in that respect, every mannerism is caught up in there
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Elite Member

Oh gosh, give the poor guys a break. They are not used to giving interviews and I'm sure they were extremely nervous. I can't think of the numerous times I've gone on job interviews or had to speak to a supervisor and felt like a total klutz myself. So I'm sure having a reporter, a recording crew, a light crew and knowing that an entire nation across the Atlantic are going to be watching doesn't exactly put you more at ease. Especially if their father or the Queen gave them some advice or tips on what to say or how to say it. They might have been a tad overwhelmed.

For the record, a lot of people say 'you know' and 'ummmm' in between their thoughts because they are thinking of what to say next. In other words, I''m sure the boys were trying to be careful in answering the questions accurately in addition to being a little nervous.

Practice makes perfect. They'll get it together. They seem to be growing into fabulous men. Diana would be proud.

I'm inclined to cut them some slack, since it is extremely hard to own your dead air. You want to fill it and rush in with filler like "you know" every other word.

They're royalty, but I doubt many people would actually trade places with them.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i wanna see video of this interview...mmmmm harry, i been fantasizing bout u

PRINCE HARRY: Both. It would be a humanitarian aspect and as well as a sort of a safari aspect. I would have to get a job. So it would probably be a safari guide.
    This was profound.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    This was profound.
    So he 'like' doesnt 'you know' wanna be a train driver too??

Thread Information