Thread: Larry Birkhead's Ex-Lawyer accuses him of being "obsessed" with her

Default Larry Birkhead's Ex-Lawyer accuses him of being "obsessed" with her

Celebrity attorney Debra Opri is fighting back.

Usmagazine.com has obtained court papers in which Opri details why Larry Birkhead should pay legal fees for her work on his behalf in his paternity case for custody of Dannielynn.

Lawyers for Opri filed the petition on June 6 at the Los Angeles Superior Court. The document responds to a number of claims made by Birkhead in the fraud claim he filed on June 1. Opri's petition claims that Birkhead "was becoming obsessed with" Opri and made extreme demands of her time.

A source close to Opri tells Usmagazine.com exclusively: "Debra is tired of sitting back and letting people damage her reputation. This document shows how she worked for free for six months and advanced over a hundred-thousand dollars on Birkhead's case. She worked her heart out for him and his only thank you was to skip out on the bill."

A rep for Birkhead couldn't be reached for comment.

While Birkhead has contended that Opri offered to take his case pro bono, today's filing states, "Opri explained to Birkhead the terms of the contract...specifically, Birkhead's contract with Opri authorized an hourly charge for her services to be $475."

Further, Opri's lawyers say that "Birkhead was a very demanding and high maintenance client." Also, in regards to the Dannileynn Legal Fund that Birkhead claimed was started by Opri without his permission, today's documents state that Birkhead himself directed Opri's staff to start the fund and then refused to thank donors, saying he did not want to "waste his time or signature."

Opri's filing today additionally outlines alleged bizarre Birkhead behavior. "When Opri took a short weekend trip to Mexico, Birkhead chastised her for not telling him that she was going to Mexico. Opri became disturbed that Birkhead was becoming obsessed with her and that he tracked her regular movements."

Larry Birkhead, 34, was declared the father of the late Anna Nicole Smith's daughter, Dannielynn, in April. On May 1, he brought Dannielynn from the Bahamas, where she had been living with Smith's lawyer and boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, back to the United States. Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, attempted to block his departure from the Bahamas, and has stated that she will still fight for custody of Dannielynn in the States.

On May 29, Debra Opri filed a complaint against Birkhead, claiming he had not paid legal fees owed to her, and requesting that a judge force arbitration on the matter. On June 1, Birkhead sued Opri for fraud, legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.

At that time, Opri told Usmagazine.com: "I'm relieved that he has filed this. It's creative. It's not accurate. He has has the opportunity to continue his malicious slander against me. He has finally filed a pleading to get out of paying a bill. And I believe upon the facts that in the end, I will be completely vindicated of his allegations. It's important for the public to understand that Mr. Birkhead has put this out there in an attempt to discredit me. And now I will have the opportunity to respond."

Source Us Weekly

Debra is tired of sitting back and letting people damage her reputation.

I think she's doing a good job of that all on her own.

So expecting your lawyer, who is around 24/7, to be around when you need them is "obsessed? I wonder if she billed him for her trip to Mexico? My accountant tells me when she's going to be gone for a couple days in case any payroll issues come up, I know to be prepared in advance. That doesn't sound that outrageous to me.

Deb needs to get a show with the judge in Miami.

She is a Dina Lohan in training. She wants her 15 minutes of fame to last forever. Oh my, what an attention whore.

No, do not give this woman a show. The female judges on TV are sickening. The males are bad enough, but the women just have to be drama queens.

Elite Member

I didn't like this woman from the moment I saw her on Larry King representing James Brown's family during that fiasco. I believe she eventually skipped out on that case too.

My thought is that - like any normal person - Larry was upset that she left for vacation in the midst of the most high-profile case of those 2/3 months. Presuming he was paying her, I'd be pissed too. I might be suspicious of Larry if he had conducted himself as anything other than gentlemanly throughout the proceedings, but I was more impressed with him than I expected to be. I think Opri was simply jumping on the bandwagon and taking him for anything he was going to get.

Don't you actually have to be attractive for somebody to be obsessed with you?

^^Burn! It could be someone who looks like Allred stalking ya.

This man was trying to get his daughter back, geez, I'd be pissed if she went to Mexico without telling me too.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    ^^Burn! It could be someone who looks like Allred stalking ya.
    If that happened, I would just have her spade and neutered. Just doing my part for animal control.

I believe she probably did offer to represent him for free for all the media hype and recognition it would create for her. Larry probably realized a little too late that you get what you pay for, and had to re-evalute the situation. He didn't like where Debra was going with the case and how she was acting, and decided to unload unneeded baggage. Debra is probablu just pissed because Larry got tired of her shit and got rid of her, so now she wants money, 'cause she didn't get any credit for winning the case. I think she's just as slimey and shady as Howard K Stern.

I don't think it's the actual legal work he minds paying for ... it's all the personal crap she had the gall to tack onto the bill.

I fully believe everyone involved in this situation is shady, Larry, HKS, Debra, Virgie all of em... He pimped his daughter out as soon as he got her. He shoulda taken her away and hopefully people would forget her and maybe just maybe she could have a normal life..
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I think this is Opri's way at getting back at Larry for telling everyone that she had the hots for HKS...

I agree with Mystify. I think EVERYONE in this whole case had their own agenda...

Yeah, again, I'm on Birkhead's side with this. I knew that was his daughter. And I don't think he's trying to get out of paying legal fees. Dry cleaning and dinners and whatnot? Yes, as well he should. This woman is batshit crazy.

Thread Information