Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bono gets snubbed by Canadian Prime Minister; 'meeting Bono not a priority'

Red face Bono gets snubbed by Canadian Prime Minister; 'meeting Bono not a priority'

HEILIGENDAMM, Germany (Reuters) - You can stop staring hopefully at that phone, Bono. Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not be calling.

The Irish rock star turned poverty activist met U.S. President George W. Bush and German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the sidelines of a Group of Eight summit but was told Harper was too busy to talk to him.

Harper, a somewhat wooden figure regularly mocked for his lack of flair, told reporters on Thursday that meeting Bono was not a priority.

"I've got to say that meeting celebrities isn't kind of my shtick, that was the shtick of the previous guy," said Harper in a dig at his Liberal predecessor Paul Martin, who met Bono regularly.

"I hope we do it at some point but my principle focus in public policies is not kind of to meet celebrities," added the prime minister, a Conservative.

Activists say Canada is trying to block a deal to ensure that western nations live up to promises to boost aid to Africa.

For the record, though, Harper said he liked the music of Bono's band U2.

Breaking News, World, U.S., Video, Investing and Business News & More | Reuters.com
    HAH, god i hate that guy. Or both of them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bono's okay in my book, but I do applaud the Canadian PM for putting celebrities in their place.

You wouldn't be applauding this guy if you knew what he stood for. He's got his head so far up George Bush's butt his eyes are brown.

I'm not applauding "everything he stands for." I'm applauding this one thing. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well its true, he's just a singer/songwriter "activist" - according to him, who does he think he is meeting w/ politicians and bill gates all the time

He is very full of himself, but then, so is Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Bono's okay in my book, but I do applaud the Canadian PM for putting celebrities in their place.
    Agreed. Bono does a lot of good, but he isn't God.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Gold Member

Maybe the Canadian PM was too busy running the country. I applaud him for having better things to do with his time.

Just becasue George Bush is star struck doesn't mean other country's leaders are.

Our Prime Minister wouldn't meet him either when Bono was in Australia earlier this year. Apparently Bono made a comment that unless John Howard committed to certain things, then there was no point in Bono meeting with him. Here is the Bono quote:

"Bono said he would only meet Mr Howard if he was serious about bringing Australia's contribution from 0.3 per cent of GDP to 0.7 per cent."

So John Howard called his bluff. Bono needs to learn some people skills, our PM is a very stubborn man who does not respond to ultimatums, he just gets stubborn.

In the end Bono apolgized for being arrogant.

I don't like John Howard but for once I applauded him.

If you want to meet with a country's leader how about you exercise manners and humility? After all they are democratically elected representatives of the people, you are just a rock star. Albeit you are a rock star that is trying to make a difference.

I agree he just a freaking rock star not god, geez.

^^^Yeah, but I still wouldn't kick him outta bed!!

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I'm not applauding "everything he stands for." I'm applauding this one thing. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    Classic!!

Rock stars who want to be politicians remind me of grandparents who come over every now and again, give out lollies, be very popular and then go home. While politicians are like the parents who have to do the unpopular day to day things that keep a home running. Rules,budget etc.

I'd have a lot more respect for the likes of Bono, Geldoff etc if they put their balls where their mouth is and actually entered politics. Anything else is just for show and ego massaging IMO.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

A*O

I'd have a lot more respect for these wanky multi-millionaire rockstars if they donated their own damn money to the poor instead of bullying everyone else to put their hands in their pockets.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    Maybe the Canadian PM was too busy running the country.

Oh DEAR LORD IM DYING OVER HERE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
    Rock stars who want to be politicians remind me of grandparents who come over every now and again, give out lollies, be very popular and then go home. While politicians are like the parents who have to do the unpopular day to day things that keep a home running. Rules,budget etc.
    Excellent comparison! You nailed it, yoko!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Being a right-wing jerkwad.. trying to sabotage the G8 summit on climate control... jaunting over to afghanistan for a pep rally..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information