Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Channel 4 portrays Camilla Parker-Bowles as a woman of easy virtue....

Default Channel 4 portrays Camilla Parker-Bowles as a woman of easy virtue....

C4 risks another row with show on Camilla's sex life

Party girl: Camilla the glamorous debutante in 1965

A documentary depicting the Duchess of Cornwall as a 'woman of easy virtue' whose lost virginity prevented her marrying Prince Charles in her youth is to be shown by Channel 4.

The salacious discussion of Camilla's unsuitability to marry the heir to the throne will be shown tomorrow night.
    Channel 4 has already faced a public outcry over plans to broadcast a photograph of Princess Diana dying in her mangled car as part of another documentary next week.

Insensitive revelations about the woman Prince Charles finally married in Windsor two years ago will doubtless be viewed with distaste by members of the Royal Family.
    The documentary, Queen Camilla, also reprises the infamous late-night Camillagate tapes in which the couple exchange embarrassingly intimate endearments.
    It unfolds with angry scenes outside the Windsor wedding, where one protester, carrying a placard branding the bride a "rottweiler," is heard describing her as a "slut".
    • "An abuse of this poor woman's dignity and human rights (and I can't stand the concept of royalty)." Online forum

The programme is in fact remarkably positive about the role of the woman who has been part of Charles's life for almost four decades.

It goes on to suggest she lost her virginity at 17 - and with it the chance of becoming a royal bride.
    The couple are described as "emotionally and physically a perfect match" but viewers are told that Charles "cruelly" could not marry the "love of his life".
    The events following 17-year-old Camilla Shand's debutante ball in March 1965 were among the reasons.
    Gyles Brandreth, author of Charles & Camilla, says: "The week of her coming out party was a significant one for Camilla Shand. At the end of it she lost her virginity.
    "It may seem prurient for us to even discuss when and how the Duchess of Cornwall lost her virginity but actually it's a legitimate question.
    "In those days it would have been essential for the Prince of Wales to marry a virgin bride."
    Scroll down for more
    Together at last: Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding day

Royal author and biographer Christopher Wilson adds:
    "There was never any question of his marrying Camilla. She was not a virgin and the court certainly had no idea of allowing him (Charles) to marry a woman, let's say, of easy virtue.
    "Charles knew that and Camilla knew that."
    The documentary makes much of Camilla following in the footsteps of her great-grandmother Alice Keppel, who had an affair with another Prince of Wales, later Edward VII.
    Like Miss Keppel, Camilla is helping her prince prepare for a "difficult role", it says.
    More bluntly Mr Brandreth declares: "She (Camilla) comes from a family that has - in the best sense of the word - been servicing royalty for many generations".
    Mr Wilson says of Camilla's first husband, Andrew Parker-Bowles: "He comes from that class of Englishmen that is prepared to lay down his wife for his country. It was a feather in his cap."
    The documentary is otherwise remarkably kind to Camilla, comparing her quiet composure and support of her husband to the late Queen Mother.
    Speculating on her future, Mr Brandreth says:
    "Camilla will be fulfilling the role the present Queen's mother fulfilled and in that secondary role people will accept her and equally she could be as much loved as the Queen Mother in 30 or 40 years time."
    John Beyer of Mediawatch UK, which campaigns for standards in the media, said the documentary appeared "very intrusive".
    "It seems to me that one can accuse Channel 4 of muck-raking," he said. "This is yet another bad judgment by Channel 4"

C4 risks another row with show on Camilla's sex life | the Daily Mail

Silver Member

Channel 4 are so out to stir the pot recently with the Royal Family, what with showing the pictures of Princess Diana dying at the scene of the car crash and now this. It's interesting. Channel 4 seems to be returning to it's anti-establishment views of the 80s for whatever reason

A*O

I don't understand the Big Deal. She may not have been 'suitable' as a royal bride 40 years ago but, ironically, Charles' disastrous marriage to the virgin Diana was to cause a massive shift in royal thinking on these matters. Camilla always was the love of his life and I for one am very glad they were eventually able to marry and by the look of it live happily ever after. And no matter what you think about Camilla you have to admire her discretion and SILENCE throughout. She and Charles may have been adulterers but at least their relationship was 'monogamous' - unlike Saint Diana whose shagged anything with a pulse.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

They'll probably be doing docos on Wills and Harrys private lives next.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

I'd be more interested in seeing something on old Eddie ... read a few interesting tidbits about him around the time he married Sophie [who didn't come off looking too virtuous either].

A*O

You can bet on it. Apparently Wills has become a bit of a hell raiser since his split with Kate. He's probably catching up on all the partying he missed out on when they became an item almost the day he left home for uni. Young Harry is by all accounts A Very Bad Boy and I predict disaster for him sooner or later. As for Prince Edward, does anyone actually think he's straight??
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

A*O - try Andy instead for that one!

I thought that everyone shagged at debutante balls, but whoa-be-tide you if you got caught & also I just have visions of Queenie sitting back in her (floral patterned) armchair watching this (& cheering on channel 4 due to her digust of her family of late).

I've heard more whisperings about Eddie liking guys than Andrew. Until he hooked up with Sophie, I can't recall too many mentions of him dating.

Never got a gay vibe from Andrew and I don't think his good times with the girls is merely for show.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I've heard more whisperings about Eddie liking guys than Andrew. Until he hooked up with Sophie, I can't recall too many mentions of him dating.

Never got a gay vibe from Andrew and I don't think his good times with the girls is merely for show.
    Fair enough - but I heard it from a gay guy who frequented London clubs (whom I trust).
    I alway thought that Andy was picked because he wanted to be an actor & this was seen as not "manly" enough for a family that usually went into the army.

I also heard a lot about Fergie from the motor trade - not highly thought of, unfortunately.

Novice ... I am fairly certain that Edward was the one with the acting bug, not Andrew.

Here is an article that popped up when I did a quick look:
    Scotland on Sunday - Prince Edward returns to acting roots as patron

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

yep, Edward was the one with the acting bug that everyone was afraid was going to be gay.

And I will never EVER like CPB, dried up old hag! Blech!

A*O

Prince Andrew has never had an acting career, nor wanted one as far as I know. Although interestingly I have a friend in the Royal Navy who served with Prince Andrew and he told me that Andy swings both ways if necessary. It's one of the reasons Fergie divorced him.

Prince Edward was the luvvie with acting aspirations. Like all royal princes he went into the military after uni and left basic training after two weeks because he couldn't hack it. Bless. Then he started a TV production company which made a few doccos about, surprise, royalty and since then the only thing of note he's done is to get married to his beard Sophie.

Hit By Ban Bus!

all i see in the deb photo are those teeth.

*checks to see what century this is again* I can't believe anybody cares about, or that it is anybody's business, what Camilla's sex life is or isn't. As for the virginity thing, more BS -- countless royals and other aristocrats have been married with their, er, hymens no longer intact.

It would be very easy for Camilla to say that she broke it horseback riding -- it's as good an excuse as any.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Prince Edward was the luvvie with acting aspirations. Like all royal princes he went into the military after uni and left basic training after two weeks because he couldn't hack it. Bless. Then he started a TV production company which made a few doccos about, surprise, royalty and since then the only thing of note he's done is to get married to his beard Sophie.
    You forgot It's a Royal Knockout. That was a cracker.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information