Thread: Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer Resurrected for Footwear

Default Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer Resurrected for Footwear

All four pictures are here: Punknews.org | Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone, and Sid Vicious peddle Doc Martens

Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer, Sid Vicious and Joey Ramone have been unveiled as the stars of a new Dr Martens advertising campaign.

The posters – which have been created by advertiser’s Saatchi & Saatchi – feature the four dead rock stars modelling the infamous boot dressed as angels.

Speaking about the campaign writer Andrew Petch said:"We wanted to communicate that Dr Martens boots are 'made to last' and we discovered that these idolised musicians wore them."
    He continued: "Showing them still wearing their Docs in heaven dramatised the boots' durability perfectly. And, as images, they feel very iconic."

According to The Daily Swan, due to publishing implications the photos have only been cleared for use in the UK.

GIGWISE, Kurt Cobain Resurrected For Advert

Courtney Love has called a new Doc Martens advert showing her late husband Kurt Cobain wearing the shoes in heaven as “despicable”.

The singer has been shocked to find the use of the Nirvana frontman’s image sitting on a cloud with the tagline “Dr Martens. Forever” is not illegal in Britain - but is keen to emphasise she has not given permission for the ad.

Her spokesperson tells The Sun, “She thinks it’s outrageous a company is allowed to commercially gain from such a despicable use of her husband’s picture.

“It appears that in the UK what Dr Martens has done is allowed. Courtney did not, and would not, approve of such a use of Kurt’s name and likeness.”

Courtney Love Blasts Kurt Cobain Shoe Ads - Entertainment News, Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise

I think this is puke-inducing.

Kurt was so against the corporate machine . . and they know that. Anyone who knows anything about kurt would know that.

This makes the Doc Marten ppl look like a bunch of douches with no sense of what's cool.

Default Dr. Martens to Saatchi: You're Fired!

The Daily Swarm has learned that Airwair Ltd., the creators of Dr. Martens famous footwear, has fired its advertising agency, Saatchi and Saatchi London, in the midst of an ongoing uproar over a poster campaign featuring the images of deceased musicians wearing their shoes in heaven.

David Suddens, CEO of Dr. Martens’ parent company AirWair Ltd., told The Daily Swarm in a phone interview that the posters were never intended to see the light of day. “We said no. It was creative that was put to us, but we didn’t like it. It doesn’t represent the company at all.”

Saatchi later released a statement standing by the ads. Kate Stanners, executive creative director, Saatchi & Saatchi said, “We believe the ads are edgy but not offensive. There has been blog commentary both for and against the ads, but it is our belief that they are respectful of both the musicians and the Dr. Martens brand.”

The firestorm began on May 14, when The Daily Swarm published the posters that feature punk icons Kurt Cobain, Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone, and Sid Vicious. The rockers images were retouched by noted French commercial artist Christophe Huet who placed them in heaven with steel-toed boots.

Statement from Dr. Martens:

NEWS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION

DR. MARTENS REGRETS THE USE OF UNAUTHORISED IMAGES

Dr Martens is very sorry for any offense that has been caused by the publication of images showing dead rock icons wearing Dr Martens boots.

Dr Martens did not commission the work as it runs counter to our current marketing activities based on FREEDM, which is dedicated to nurturing grass roots creativity and supporting emerging talent.

As a consequence, Dr Martens has terminated its relationship with the responsible agency.

David Suddens
    Chief Executive

Statement from Saatchi and Saatchi London:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Thursday 24 May 2007

SAATCHI & SAATCHI STANDS BY DR. MARTENS ADS

Saatchi & Saatchi today (Thursday) said it was standing by the creative work for a series of ads created for Dr. Martens which has seen the agency fired by the client. The client approved the ads to run as a one-off in Fact Magazine in the UK.

Kate Stanners, executive creative director, Saatchi & Saatchi said the four print ads which featured the late rock singers Kurt Corbain, Joe Strummer, Sid Vicious and Joey Ramone all in heaven wearing Dr Martens boots, were presented as a homage to the rock legends. All four punk-rock icons were known for wearing Dr. Martens boots.

Stanners said: “We believe the ads are edgy but not offensive. There has been blog commentary both for and against the ads, but it is our belief that they are respectful of both the musicians and the Dr. Martens brand.

“We regret that the controversy has led Dr. Martens to terminate the contract with Saatchi & Saatchi. We are investigating the circumstances and considering the ongoing employment of the individual who was in breach of instructions not to distribute the ads further than the original approved placement in Fact Magazine in the UK.

“While we believe the creative is a beautiful tribute to four legendary musicians, the individual broke both agency and client protocol in this situation by placing the ads on a US advertising website and acting as an unauthorised spokesperson for the company.”

The images of the late rock icons were sourced from Corbis and cleared to run in the ads in the UK. The award-winning photographer Dimitri Daniloff shot the ads.

The Daily Swarm - Exclusive: Dr. Martens to Saatchi: You're Fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
    Her spokesperson tells The Sun, “She thinks it’s outrageous a company is allowed to commercially gain from such a despicable use of her husband’s picture.

“It appears that in the UK what Dr Martens has done is allowed. Courtney did not, and would not, approve of such a use of Kurt’s name and likeness.”
    I agree with Courtney!
    (And I never thought I would say that in my whole life)

Zee

Marketing and ethics is usually a clash of the titans. This is a horrible campaign.

People in the images would not have done them alive. This must be part of a concept pitch.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This makes me ill... for some odd reason I think Kurt is trying to shoot himself again if that's possible... oh wait Kurtney did it the first time.

Silver Member

Thats just tasteless and nasty....it just goes to prove that people will do pretty much anything to sell their crap

Four of our beloved counter-cultural icons dressed in holy cloth and photoshopped (badly) floating around in Heaven. Not even The Onion could create parody this good. Funniest thing I've seen all week.

I love it when advertising fails on a spectacular level.

It's pretty crappy. Obviously, Kurt would have been completely against something like this. However, in my opinion, Courtney is pissed simply because she didn't think of it first!

Zee

^^Or get a royalty for the use of his image.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

^^Exactly!!

Thread Information