Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alec Baldwin officially apologizes for angry voicemail to his daughter

Default Alec Baldwin officially apologizes for angry voicemail to his daughter

Alec Baldwin apologized Friday for his angry voicemail to his daughter, blaming the stress of his custody fight with Kim Basinger and insisting: "I have a normal relationship with my daughter."

"I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child," the actor wrote on his Web site. "I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened."

He added: "I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarrass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

Baldwin posted his comments on his site's guest book under the heading "Alec responds to your comments" a day after the leak to TMZ.com of a voicemail message from Baldwin to his and Basinger's 11-year-old daughter, Ireland.

The message had been contained in a sealed court file in the former couple's three-year custody fight over the girl, who lives with her mother in Los Angeles.

Baldwin's attorneys on Friday filed papers asking the court to investigate the source of the leak, saying Basinger was "the only parent with custody, possession and control of the minor child's telephone voicemail message."

"This is a direct violation of a court's order to keep items sealed," Baldwin's attorney Vicki Greene tells PEOPLE. "It's ultimately damaging the minor child, and the tape had to have come from Basinger's side. Neither we or the court had a copy, so where else could it have come from?"

Basinger's attorney didn't respond to requests for comment. Her Hollywood rep says only, "The voicemail speaks for itself."

"I am sorry for what happened," Baldwin wrote on his Web site. "But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case. Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child," he wrote.

He said that in high-profile cases, "your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a courtroom."

He said he would be writing about the "incredible strains created by parental alienation" in a book, but "in the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode."

(Parental alienation, a hotly debated topic in custody cases, is a situation in which one parent is said to alienate the child from the other.)
    Alec Baldwin: 'I Have Been Driven to the Edge' | Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger : People.com

Elite Member

I think both Alec and Kim are low lifes. Kim for provoking Alec by using Ireland as a pawn and Alec for allowing it to get the better of him with such results.

Most of the time, parents involved in such acrimonious custody battles will run out of money for their personal vendettas. These two will probably keep fighting until she's eighteen. It's a shame.

This battle keeps ensuing because Basinger chooses to keep acting like a fucking miserable cunt. If she would let Baldwin see his daughter and stop interfering, everything would settle down. All the man wants is to have a relationship with his child. As the father, he has every right to do so. If she doesn't like it, too damn bad for her.

I sadly imagine Ireland at age 18, telling both parents to fuck off. Way to go mum and dad, how to assure your child has a long therapy filled life ahead of her.

^^ ITA - right now she lives with her Mom and has to do what she says. I'll bet the poor kid feels like she is walking on eggshells all the time. If I dare say I love Daddy then Mommy will be angry and mad. This poor kid can't win.

Would it be easier for him if he met some other woman and had another kid. Maybe he thinks its all hes got and he wants it at any cost.

Hit By Ban Bus!

He could have a kid with Ted. Ted loves Alec

He writes his updates on his website? WTF is this, myspace or pre school?

Indeed grow up old man.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What he did is impossible to undo. Some things can't be taken back, and that was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cheray View Post
    Would it be easier for him if he met some other woman and had another kid. Maybe he thinks its all hes got and he wants it at any cost.
    You could say exactly the same thing about Basinger. Why doesn't she meet another man and have another kid?

Quote Originally Posted by cheray View Post
    Well ... a kid isn't a puppy. You can't just go out and replace it with another one and everything is fine. I have two kids and if I couldn't see one, it wouldn't make the pain any less.

This child is part of his family. I am rather appalled by some of the responses from the other thread calling him selfish for wanting to see her. Basinger is the one who keeps fucking with everything, denying the daughter a relationship with her father, so she can get her own way and he's the selfish one?! Unbelievable.

Obviously, Baldwin shouldn't have said what he did. He knows that and he apologized for it. I can't knock him for it because I can only imagine what he's gone through all these years. I've said stuff in the heat of the moment to my kids too. It doesn't make us horrible people - we're human and we make mistakes.

What Basinger is doing will cause far more damage to the girl over the long run.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    You could say exactly the same thing about Basinger. Why doesn't she meet another man and have another kid?
    I'm sure my ex wished that, since he did it.

I had a second child knowing that my marriage was not going to last (it lasted a few more years). That was partly because I didn't want my daughter to grow up alone, and be caught in the very same type of struggle we're discussing now. I am positive it would have happened. And the second kid has been dream.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    He writes his updates on his website? WTF is this, myspace or pre school?

Indeed grow up old man.
    The reason why he updates his site is because a lot of fathers who are in the same situation, with PAS, look to him as kind of like a celebrity spokesperson. He's the first celeb father to be very candid about his bitter dispute with Basinger. He's also writing a book about his experience with the legal system.

I love all this passive voice business in his apology. "I have been driven to the edge..."

Yeah...nothing is your fault, buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information