Thread: Lily Allen can't afford a flat

Default Lily Allen can't afford a flat

Beth Ditto hates Posh, Kate and comparing people to numbers | News | Guardian Unlimited Music

And finally, Lily Allen can't afford a flat. At least not in London. At least not, we suspect, a nice one in a fashionable area of London.

In a weird combo, she appeared on political show This Week, hosted by Andrew Neil, Andrew Neil, Andrew Neil - apparently, if you say his name three times into a mirror, his masters must summon him back to hell - where she talked about how "money is a massive issue."

OK?

"I've been doing what I do for a few years now, and I've been paid pretty well for it, but even I'm not in a position to buy a one-bedroom flat in the city I grew up in. How much harder is it going to be for other people my age?"

Fair point, but we reckon she could probably afford something in Harlesden if she so chose. Which might help should the singer be looking for inspiration for any future tales of inner-city living.

((ALL TOGETHER NOW: Aaaaaaaaw, diddums!!!))

You'd think her Dad would share some of his wealth.

SVZ

I saw a shitty flat in London go for a million pounds.

Who the hell is 'Beth Ditto'?

Loads are A LOT cheaper than that. My boyfriend's sister lives in London. She has a two bed flat, kitchen, bathroom and lounge and that was around 200,00. Not too much for Lily Allen

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Loads are A LOT cheaper than that. My boyfriend's sister lives in London. She has a two bed flat, kitchen, bathroom and lounge and that was around 200,00. Not too much for Lily Allen
    she probably wants a "celebrity" home then

Maybe but it doesn't sound that way to me when she says "even I'm not in a position to buy a one-bedroom flat in the city I grew up in. How much harder is it going to be for other people my age?"

SVZ

Is the market in a slump? Like are there homes available?

I don't know really. I live about as far away from London as is possible, but it all seems quite buoyant from what I hear. There are always homes in London it seems.

SVZ I tried to PM you earlier. Can I not do that?

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Maybe if she stopped buying gak & chavy gold jewelry she could afford it?

Bronze Member

"I've been doing what I do for a few years now, and I've been paid pretty well for it, but even I'm not in a position to buy a one-bedroom flat in the city I grew up in. How much harder is it going to be for other people my age?"
    I was watching This Week and she said this in response to a question about young people. I don't have a problem with it. She wasn't complaining she was just using her life as an example.

As nobody knows how much she is earning they can't say for sure that she can afford a flat in London. Single sales are not what they used to be and singers only earn a small percentage (less than 10%) of that in royalties after they have earned out any advance. Part of which would go to an agent. Then you've got living expenses...

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
    It doesn't matter how much money you make, it matters how much you manage to keep. If she spends most of them on expensive (useless) things like many people I know, she won't be able to buy a flat anytime soon.
    I remember SJ Parker's character in Sex & the city didn't have enough money to buy a flat because of her addiction to shoes.

Thread Information