Thread: Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy for Girls

Default Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy for Girls

Does Africa need the most expensive school in the world?

A report from the Pretoria News offers a chilling perspective: The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls will cost just over $ 800 000 a month to maintain - but it will never "in the next 100 years be for one day a burden on the government of South Africa".
    I'm pleased that it won't be a burden on the South Africa taxpayer and that this money will come out of the trust that Oprah Winfrey is setting up but, as a I asked in a previous post, is this really the most effective use of resources? The most expensive independent schools in South Africa offering the best educations, and including room and board, charge about $ 13 800 per student, per year. Winfrey's school dwarfs that. Her 152 pupils will each cost over $ 60 000 per year to teach, house and feed. This is significantly higher than the $ 7 500 I originally mentioned and I can only hope that further costs don't emerge.
    How she spends her money is entirely her prerogative. One hopes that the money in the trust won't run out any time soon and strand the very girls who are meant to be the beneficiaries.

However, there is much debate in the US regarding her generosity to South Africa, especially over comments such as, "“The sense that you need to learn just isn’t there. If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers,” she said in Newsweek while speaking of US inner-city schools. “In South Africa, they don’t ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so that they can go to school.” A naive comment, both about the US and about South Africa.

152 girls get to benefit from a "22-acre campus with marble flooring, outdoor and indoor theatres, a beauty salon and a yoga studio." The rest of South Africa can only stand and stare.

Once again, I pose the challenge, what should we be doing to promote education in Africa? This certainly doesn't sound like it.

Source:http://www.whythawk.com/analysis/doe...the-world.html

My own personal opinion is this: I think if she wanted to spend that much money it would have been better to open more schools, or a bigger school etc. It's wonderful for the girls who were chosen, but so many more could have been helped. But as many pointed out before, it's her money

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

It shouldn't cost THAT MUCh to give kids a decent education. This must be some kinda luxury school. We'll have to wait and see how the students turn out.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If they turn out to be leaders in their countries who aren't corrupt, it could be worth every cent.

Oh dear, I dont think this little project was thunk through............
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such — I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Oh dear, I dont think this little project was thunk through............
    Thunk? Thunk??

Well, I agree with PB. If this is benefitial to our society, then it's pretty much worth it at a time like this. {But I am kind of confused about the beauty salon ... }

sorry lovehurtsrealbad, you wanted to announce your wittisisms..........that was intentional...luvvy
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such — I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    sorry lovehurtsrealbad, you wanted to announce your wittisisms..........that was intentional...luvvy
    okay.

Elite Member

I think what she did was great. It's her money and she's using it to better others. More power to her!!!!

The school is a campus/dorm situation where the girls live. Oprah insisted on the girls getting their hair done/blow out, etc.

I hope she gets considered for the Nobel Peace prize for her good actions. She has everything in the world but this.

so she's helping african girls by sending them to finishing school?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    Oprah insisted on the girls getting their hair done/blow out, etc.
    I guess she wants them all to look like her.

Thread Information