Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Idol: too mean?

Bronze Member

Default American Idol: too mean?

American Idol: Too Mean?

By Heather Parker
    Jan 18, 2007
    The early train wreck that is American idol is fun to watch for most viewers because the judges pan contestants that have no business singing at all, let alone in front of forty million television viewers in high-definition. It literally is a circus type freak show played out for those hungry for any American idol to emerge.
    American Idol: Too Mean?
    Now some are saying the show is too mean. Leading the pack is the queen of mean herself, Rosie O'Donnell. Apparently Rosie thinks she should have the market cornered for mocking people.
    O’Donnell went off on producers and judges of American Idol this morning for their treatment of the contestant pictured right. Simon said to the man, “You look a little odd. The dancing is terrible. The singing was horrendous and you look like one of those creatures that live in the jungle with those massive eyes. What do they call them? Bush babies
    Paula then calls Simon “sick” for mocking the would be idol.
    Rosie O’Donnell said, “Isn’t that what America thinks is entertainment? To make fun of someone’s physical appearance and then when they leave the room laugh hysterically at them? Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated….”
    ***'
    A few weeks back O'Donnell mocked Miss USA Tara Conner as she was set to enter rehab to get her life straightened out. I rarely watch 'The View' but from what I gather that's exactly what Rosie does on 'The View' each day.
    And in answer to her question - yes - that is what a whole bunch of America wants to watch. Over 37 million people tuned in to watch the blockbuster hit.
    Us Weekly gives this analysis from Noelle Hancock. Remember American Dreamz -- that fictionalized movie about American Idol with Hugh Grant standing in for Simon Cowell? Well, remember that part where Hugh kicks off his singing competition’s search by telling his scouting team, “Bring me the freaks.”
    Oh, consider them broughten.
    There were many more bad contestants than good ones on the widely-watched double-premiere of American Idol on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, which featured aspiring singers from Seattle and Minneapolis (or Minnie-hopeless, as judgeRandy Jackson put it). And more than one of those featured on the show seemed to be a little “special."
    Sure there were laughs (Cowardly Lion, Taylor Hicks -2.0, Uncle Sam, Amish Urban), but it was the judges who made us cringe more often than the performances with their unnecessarily cruel comments.
    Too cruel? Not for me.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72611066.shtml

Too cruel for me. Make fun of their singing, make fun of their clothes, their hair, their stupid costumes, but to make fun of their faces? They have no control over that. And honestly, I thought one of the contestents was mild retarded, and it's never funny to make fun of those born with disabilities of any kind.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

It's shallow IMO to make fun of someone's physical appearance but I also think Simon wouldn't make such harsh comments if some of such contestants could actually sing. He just throws those stupid remarks cuz he either tries to come across funny (e.g. for the rating) or he really has nothing else better to say. Or maybe he's just simply mean and nasty.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^ I think Simon is mean and nasty.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I think the real problem is that the producers are choosing people who clearly have no ability simply for ratings. I don't believe for an instant that there aren't enough talented people out there for all the contestants to be good in varying degrees.

The point is, shows like this thrive on the spectacle of humiliating people. Let's face it -- half these people think they're gifted when they're clearly not. They chose to be on the show, and being knocked in public is part of the gig. I don't think it's right, but that is the premise of the show and people seem to love it. I've only watched it once, and that was more than enough.

The weird part is these people are convinced they are the next American idol.
    American Idiot more like it, but singing is not the talent they think they posess. Making a fool of themself for the sick pleasure of a jeering audience is possibly one small talent they have. Tragic, tragic, tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I think the real problem is that the producers are choosing people who clearly have no ability simply for ratings. I don't believe for an instant that there aren't enough talented people out there for all the contestants to be good in varying degrees.

The point is, shows like this thrive on the spectacle of humiliating people. Let's face it -- half these people think they're gifted when they're clearly not. They chose to be on the show, and being knocked in public is part of the gig. I don't think it's right, but that is the premise of the show and people seem to love it. I've only watched it once, and that was more than enough.
    I totally agree with you. What started out as a quest for true talent has and will continue to degenerate into a spectacle of who can think of the worst insults for people who were clearly featured simply because they couldn't sing.
    I watched AI once (last night), and never will again. I also thought the one kids was mentally "challenged", and what is the fun in picking on someone like that?
    My 9 year old daughter was watching it. I don't want her to think it's okay to say things like that, or worse, that it's funny.
    But then again, I can't stand reality shows, so what do I know?
    I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.

I agree w/ what's being said BUT there are plenty of seemingly non-mentally challenged people trying out and they're getting dogged out too.

The judges are treating these people like everyone else. If they weren't allowed to compete wouldn't it be discrimination?

AI has'nt really been useful anyway. Shit the only people I remember from AI seasons are Kelly Clarkston, Clay Aiken (for different reasons of course heh), and recently Jennifer Hudson.

The show has sucked since it started and it's still sucks today.

You know, when I saw the one that sang the National Anthem, the first thing I thought was about his parents. If that were my boy, I would have never allowed him to go to the audition. There was absolutely nothing for that poor boy to gain from going there; there was no way he would have been choosen, so why hurt the boy's feelings like that.

The "bush baby" and that weird guy that sang "Unchained Melody".. I don't know, they were just weird. I don't think either one of them was fazed by what Simon has said to him. Asd yes, I am aware that the "bush baby" one (sorry, I don't recall his name to refer to him by it) but, he repeated everything about a 1000 times, too.

I think if you are going to audition on American Idol, you know the judges - especially Simon, might be very harsh. He's been judging and slamming hopefuls for 6 or so seasons. If you go in knowing this - and are insulted by one of the judges, you should have never walked through that door to begin with.

Bronze Member

After seeing the Fantasia Borrino Movie, I realized that there were pre screenings before contestants even got through to see Simon, Randy and Paula. Knowing this now, I refuse to watch the show, because these poor dilusional people were then probably lied to and told that they COULD sing.
    That's probably why they always look so shocked when they are told no. They are not searching for the next great talent, they are looking for people to make look like assholes.

They are a lot meaner this season. Good for Rosie for saying something. Some of those contestants had mental problems.

Shit, I actually agree with Rosie for once. Does that mean the sky is falling too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    AI has'nt really been useful anyway. Shit the only people I remember from AI seasons are Kelly Clarkston, Clay Aiken (for different reasons of course heh), and recently Jennifer Hudson.

The show has sucked since it started and it's still sucks today.
    You've got to be kidding! Carrie Underwood is already huge, Chris Daughtry put out the fastest selling debut rock album of all time. You mentioned Kelly Clarkson and nobody can deny that she is extremely successful. You also mentioned Clay, and he has legions of adoring fans. I could name a dozen of them that have huge fan bases. As far as its original purpose, to produce major stars, it has definitely succeeded.

About it being too mean, I think that Simon goes too far sometimes. But like someone already said, every single person who signs up for this goes in knowing that rejection & harsh criticism is a possibility. The ones who get the worst of it are the arrogant ones who refuse to accept that they're being turned down. If you suck, and you get mouthy when they say no, then don't get your feelings hurt when they tell you exactly why you're not going to Hollywood.

Looks are part of it. I'm not entirely crazy about the fact that Simon called the guy a "bush baby" (although the name itself has always been funny to me for some weird reason ) but if you don't look like a pop star, chances are you won't become a pop star. Sometimes they're wrong - Simon was very wrong about Taylor Hicks, and Reuben Studdard doesn't look like the typical pop star (although some may argue that he hasn't ultimately been very successful). But these people who are downright unattractive & talentless who act like they're gorgeous & all that, well, they need to be told the TRUTH.

I understand that this is not everybody's idea of entertainment, and I wouldn't watch the show either, if it consisted entirely of bad auditions & rejections, but to me, it's just part of a process that I really enjoy. By the time we get to the top 10, I feel like I've been part of the journey for these kids.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

The whole episode with the Bush baby guy totally changed my opinion of Paula. I always thought that she was sincerely nice. So wrong. After Simon riducled the guy, she acted so sympathetic. She told him "You're awesome" etc, etc. The the minute he walked out she was laughing her ass off. Yeah Paula you are so cool! Down some more of your "Coca Cola". I'm glad Rosie called her on her hypocrisy.

I do agree that people should be well aware of what Idol is like by now. They're competeing at their own risk. But some of these kids have serious mental problems. Like the red head that Ryan was mocking? He was really out there. I'm just not comfortable mocking people who are obviously impaired.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information