Thread: Tom Cruise Drops Sister as Publicist

Bronze Member

Tom Cruise drops sister as publicist following rough summer
    Monday, November 06 2:48 PM ET

Superstar Tom Cruise has dropped his sister as his movie publicist and hired a top Hollywood flak after coming under intense media fire for publicly mixing his religious views with his movie-making.
    Cruise, 43, announced Monday that his sister Lee Anne DeVette would hand over publicity for him and his production company to veteran spokesman to the stars Paul Bloch, following a tough summer in which his image took a beating.
    DeVette will now exclusively oversee Cruise's soon-to-expand involvement in charitable causes, notably those linked to the Church of Scientology of which Cruise is a devout member.
    "Lee Anne has done a wonderful job on behalf of myself and Cruise-Wagner Prods. over the last few years," Cruise said in a statement received Monday by AFP.
    "But she has always expressed a desire to oversee and expand the day-to-day activities of my charitable endeavors," he said, announcing that Bloch would now handle his own publicity and that of his Cruise-Wagner Productions.
    "I am thrilled at this new opportunity to oversee Tom's philanthropic endeavors," DeVette said in the same statement.
    "I know how important Tom's charitable goals are to him, and I am looking forward to assisting in raising the profile of the good works that he does on behalf of children's health issues, mentoring, literacy and other social reforms, as well as the general betterment of the human condition," she added.
    The switch comes 20 months after Cruise sacked his longtime Hollywood publicist Pat Kingsley and hired his sister, who had for years worked closely with the actor at his Cruise-Wagner Productions.
    But Cruise's closely-protected image sailed into rough waters this summer when the usually very private actor began giddily expressing his love for actress Katie Holmes in interviews, including one where he boisterously leapt up and down on US talk show queen Oprah Winfrey's sofa as he told how much he loved Holmes.
    The unusual antics sparked widespread speculation in the media over whether the expression of love was genuine or a publicity stunt.
    He then used his "War of the Worlds" global media tour to announce his engagement to Holmes in June and then proceeded to talk publicly -- and sometimes combatively -- about his Scientology beliefs.
    Cruise and Holmes, who have been dating since May, announced last month they are expecting their first baby.

SVZ

After an almost unprecedented run of bad press and public relations blunders, including, but not limited to, the botched announcement of his relationship with, sudden engagement to, and suspicious premarital knocking-up of Katie Holmes, a full-on assault against the pseudoscience of psychiatry and the dangerous street drugs its nefarious agents push on children and celebrities with the “baby blues,” and the co-opting of the War of the Worlds press tour as a platform to celebrate the aforementioned relationship and anti-psychiatry assault, Tom Cruise has finally thrown publisister LeAnne DeVette under the couch, replacing her with professional PR firm Rogers and Cowan. (Come on, did you think Cruise was going to go crawling back to Pat Kingsley?) Variety reports on DeVette’s new role on Team Cruise:

“Lee Anne has done a wonderful job on behalf of myself and Cruise-Wagner Prods. over the last few years,” Cruise said in a statement. “But she has always expressed a desire to oversee and expand the day-to-day activities of my charitable endeavors. With our current plans to increase those endeavors, and Cruise-Wagner’s increased production slate of film and television projects, this seemed the appropriate time to make that segue and bring Rogers and Cowan on board to handle mine and the company’s entertainment-related publicity needs.”
    DeVette said: “I know how important Tom’s charitable goals are to him, and I look forward to assisting in raising the profile of the good works that he does on behalf of children’s health issues, mentoring, literacy and other social reforms, as well as the general betterment of the human condition.”

Say what you will about DeVette’s tenure ruining running Cruise’s PR machine, but she certainly was successful in raising her brother’s profile. Under her skilled stewardship, “the general betterment of the human condition” should become the laughingstock of the media in a mere two to three months.

it's going to be pretty much impossible to make people forget his behavior this past year

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
    Check out Defamer...what's that about? He's going back to professional publicists. Does this mean he's actually aware that he's a laughingstock?
    There is absolutely NO way that Tom Cruise is aware that he is a laughingstock. I mean, this is a guy who probably never reads his own press. NTM...we all know how he knows the history of psychology...it's from being committed to the nutward that is known as scientology.

His sister didnt tell him to jump and shout and profess undying love did she?

"Er look, Tommy, perhaps today when you go on Oprah, you should really let fly with your emotion. Dont hold back, let it all out. The public will adore you for it."

"Gee whiz, thanks Leeanne, I'll do that, but what I wanted to do was tell the world about scientology and how even for gays like me it can work."

"No, Tommy, run with me here, do the jumping on the couch thing that you do when you put a point across at our scientology meetings. hurl yourself to the floor and give the arm wrestlers pose. Audiences lap that up ."

"Ok sis, I'm your man. Wish me luck."

I think he was a little too late. The damage that Lee Anne allowed him to do to his career is irreversible.

Default Re: Tom Cruise Drops Sister as Publicist

Wasn't she Katie's publicist too? I wonder if she'll drop her also.

If I was her I would grab Katie-poo and run like hell and get the fuck out of there!

a bad summer?? ya think?? his career is going straight to lifetime movies.

Oh damn. It was entertaining to watch him run wild and free! I guess now they'll go back to the usual boring lies. With every other celeb or comedian cracking Tom Cruise jokes, of course it's gotten back to him that he's a laughingstock. The whole statement about what a wonderful job his sister has done, and that it's only due to her desire to *oversee and expand the day-to-day activities of my(Tom's) charitable endeavors* that she's abandoning her job as his publicst is hilarious. It looks worse than if they just said nothing at all and quietly made the switch back to letting the professionals handle his career. What ya wanna bet Scientology is somehow behind this? They can't let their main cash cow's career go down the crapper.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    What ya wanna bet Scientology is somehow behind this? They can't let their main cash cow's career go down the crapper.
    Yep! And Cruise is so high-profile, they most likely don't want him making them look bad [like they need him for that, hehe] ... they'll rein him in now before any more damage is done. Notice how quiet everything is lately regarding him and Katie? They're probably trying to figure out how to turn that around and redeem him in the public's eye ... because if Cruise looks good, then they look good.

Nothing any publicists says will ever make me like that clown

Bronze Member

Tom's sis, LeeAnne, was never Katie's publicist.

I read somewhere that when Tom was a young guy he used to have all the girls practice kissing on him, or teaching him how to kiss. Would they have been his sisters friends?
    Or his sister????? Is this a secret he is trying to hide too?

Thread Information