Thread: Ex-Natalie Holloway suspects sue Dr. Phil McGraw

Default Ex-Natalie Holloway suspects sue Dr. Phil McGraw

Ex-Holloway Suspects Sue Dr. Phil
    by Josh Grossberg
    Fri Dec 15, 7:19 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - He usually focuses on relationship problems, but even Dr. Phil couldn't resist joining the media circus surrounding the Natalie Holloway case. And now it may cost him.

Deepak and Satish Kalpoe, teenage brothers who were once considered prime suspects in the 18-year-old's May 30, 2005, disappearance while vacationing in Aruba, is suing the Dr. Phil show, claiming they were defamed on national TV.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, accuses McGraw, along with private investigator Jamie Skeeters and the CBS Television Group, of committing libel and slander, invasion of privacy, emotional distress, fraud, deceit and civil conspiracy by editing and airing an interview between Skeeters and Deepak Kalpoe to suggest the brothers somehow committed a crime.

The show's producer, Paramount Studios, slammed the lawsuit. "We stand by the integrity of the Dr. Phil show, our editing process and the accuracy of the program that we aired. We will vigorously defend against these baseless claims."

The episode in question aired Sept. 15, 2005, on the nationally syndicated show, days after the brothers were released from custody by Aruban police. Holloway was last seen getting in a car with the siblings and Dutch teen Joran Van Der Sloot, but authorities said they lacked sufficient evidence to hold the teens, in part because investigators could not determine whether Holloway was dead or alive since her body had yet to be found.

The complaint states that Skeeter secretly videotaped an interview with Deepak Kalpoe and then aired the illicit recording on Dr. Phil—after cutting it in such a way as to "create false, incriminating and defamatory statements that the plaintiffs engaged in criminal activity against Natalee Holloway."

Per court documents, McGraw & Co. specifically implied that the siblings slipped Holloway a date-rape drug, forced her to have nonconsensual sex and then supposedly aided in killing her and hiding the body, allegations which the Kalpoes and Van Der Sloot have denied.

But Paramount disputes the charge. "Deepak Kalpoe's statements, which aired on the Dr. Phil show, were his own words presented in a manner that the show believed accurately reflected the sum and substance of what he said in a recorded interview with Jamie Skeeters in Aruba."

The suit claims Deepak Kalpoe agreed to the sit-down with the P.I. in the assumption that Skeeter might help clear him and his brother. Skeeter allegedly told Kalpoe that the gruff McGraw was a "god" who could "influence a country" and help their case.

After months of searching for the missing young woman, Aruban investigators shifted their probe away from the brothers and Van Der Sloot to pursue other leads. The case remains unsolved.

A lawyer for the Kalpoes could not be reached for comment Friday. Their suit seeks unspecified general, special and punitive damages.

In a parting shot in its statement, Paramount says, "We also intend to discover who or what has motivated this lawsuit from the Kalpoe brothers, two of the primary suspects in Natalee's disappearance and two of the last people seen driving away with her in their car."

Shortly after the Kalpoes took legal action against Dr. Phil, Holloway's parents fired back.

Beth Twitty and Dave Holloway filed a civil wrongful-death suit against the teens Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, accusing them of causing their daughter's death by "intentionally, negligently, wantonly...unlawfully conducting themselves" in a way that brought about fatal injuries.

"All we want is justice for our daughter. There is no doubt in my mind that Deepak and Satish played a role in my daughter's death and should be held accountable," Beth Twitty said. "It is unconscionable that they have not been punished so far."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2006...e-b8c93c596c2d

I realize the article spells her name as "Natalie," however the correct spelling is Natalee, which is why I spelled it that way in the title.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Hee hee - Skeeter.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

They discussed this on a news show last night. The Holloway’s lawyer said
    that no ill will against Dr. Phil, but they were hoping something like this would
    happen so that they could file a civil case for wrongful-death against the
    Kalpoes in California.

They don’t care if they win. What they want is to question the Kalpoes in
    Discovery so that they can find out what happened to their daughter and
    hopefully get some closure.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    They discussed this on a news show last night. The Holloway’s lawyer said that no ill will against Dr. Phil, but they were hoping something like this would happen so that they could file a civil case for wrongful-death against the Kalpoes in California. They don’t care if they win. What they want is to question the Kalpoes in Discovery so that they can find out what happened to their daughter and hopefully get some closure.
    The problem with this is that even in the discovery phase, the truth isn't going to come out. Those people are going to stick to their story, because the back story is deep, far-reaching, sinister and completely evil. I've always believed those kids know exactly what happened to Natalee, and are keeping quiet to save their own lives and the lives/well-being of their loved ones. Either they were involved somehow in the trafficking, or they saw what happened to her (abduction while she was in their company).

Natalees mom is going to be on Dr Phil again next week---a new episode. Wonder if they will be talking about this, or if it was taped prior to the lawsuit being filed.

I doubt the truth will ever be 'known'. And she'll never be found. Which is horrible for her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    The problem with this is that even in the discovery phase, the truth isn't going to come out. Those people are going to stick to their story, because the back story is deep, far-reaching, sinister and completely evil. I've always believed those kids know exactly what happened to Natalee, and are keeping quiet to save their own lives and the lives/well-being of their loved ones. Either they were involved somehow in the trafficking, or they saw what happened to her (abduction while she was in their company).
    Same here @ bolded. But then again, I was talking to my classmate who's from an island. She said she suspected that Natalie might have been kidnapped and sold into slavery or some shit like that. Apparently, sex slavery is still big in all those islands. She said that there's still rumours of people escaping from ships and stuff like that. So I mean, anything could have happened to the poor girl, and we'll never know. That's why you can't be too friendly with people you don't know, I saw some video clip by AMW where she had gotten into their car and didn't go with anybody that she knew from their little group. That was her mistake, and it cost her life if she really is dead. Kids need to start learning to be more mature in their decisions.

Elite Member

I think that poor girl was murdered and fed to the ocean. I can't even imagine the pain her mother has been in all this time. They deserve some answers no matter how painful.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This sounds awful, but I almost hope she was. Better than being sold into slavery and leading a horrible life never to return to her family.

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Wait, I keep hearing that she got into the car with them willingly. Now, this might seem rude, but I have no pity for her if she did that. I don't mean she should have died, but still, if you're stupid enough to get into a car with people you don't know very well, then you better expect that something might happen.

I don't know why but this case never interested me. Some other, bigger cases were happening but people kept focusing on this one. Something about that girl just...got to me. It seems weird, but I didn't really sympathise with her or anything. I felt bad for her mom, but something about that entire thing just turned me off of it completely.

And if those boys DO know something about what happened but are saving their lives, then I suggest they lie. I mean, let's say they say something and they get killed too. No use in other people dying. Especially if the boys' familis are being threatened. I'd keep my mouth shut then too.

Thread Information