Thread: Jay Leno et al sue writer for stealing jokes

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Jay Leno et al sue writer for stealing jokes

Leno Sues: You Stole My Jokes!

Posted Nov 30th 2006 6:23PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Celebrity Justice

"There was a 194-car crash in L.A. -- Luckily, the guy in the first car was still able to complete his call."

That joke might be funny to you, but Jay Leno isn't laughing. The funnyman claims that this wisecrack -- and several other jokes -- were published in joke books without his permission. Now, Leno and comedienne Rita Rudner, several comedy writers and big-gun NBC Studios, are asking a judge to protect their punchlines.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in federal court, the comedians claim a "comedy writer" named Judy Brown "sent representatives to comedy clubs to record comedians routines, so she can then copy the jokes into her books and profit from the original comedic works of others." Brown is also accused of ripping material straight from "The Tonight Show."

The suit says Brown published approximately 19 "jokebooks" loaded with "stolen" material.

According to a statement from NBC, the lawsuit was filed with philanthropic intentions. "Jay has, in the past, compiled such material in books and donated his proceeds from those sales to various charitable organizations. Jay and NBC Studios intend to donate any amounts they recover in this lawsuit to charity."

source:
    http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/30/leno-s...tole-my-jokes/

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I dont get the joke, i must be stupid. Anyway, I think Leno just ain't funny.

Default Jay Leno Sues Author Over Joke Books

Jay Leno isn't laughing about a new joke book series after discovering it features many of his own gags. The host of "The Tonight Show" is suing author Judy Brown and her publishers, claiming she has plagiarized from his stand-up routines.

And he isn't alone - other comics, including Rita Rudner and Jimmy Brogan are also seeking unspecified damages and a permanent injunction against Brown's 19 books.

In the lawsuit, lawyers for Leno and TV network NBC claim, "Her (Brown) books credit the comedians who wrote the jokes, which only serves to make the copyright violations more egregious.

The books sell precisely because they include jokes by famous comedians. Ms. Brown has even sent representatives to comedy clubs to record comedians' routines, so she can then copy the jokes into her books and profit from the original comedic works of others."

source: www.hollywoodpulse.com

I guess the joke is on Judy Brown now, isn't it

Thread Information