Thread: Steve McQueen s widow: 'America turned its back on Steve'

Default Steve McQueen s widow: 'America turned its back on Steve'

Last updated: Sunday, October 29, 2006

The widow of screen legend STEVE McQUEEN has blasted former US President RONALD REAGAN, claiming the former actor ignored her pleas to introduce experimental new cancer drugs into America to save her ailing husband.
    BARBARA McQUEEN insists Reagan's refusal to help her late husband forced him to seek cancer treatment in Mexico, where he was prescribed a controversial blend of pancreatic enzymes, 50 daily vitamins and minerals, massages, prayers, psychotherapy, coffee enemas and injections of a cell preparation made from sheep and cattle foetuses.
    The actor felt his health improving but died on 7 November 1980 aged 50 - the day after undergoing surgery to remove cancerous growths from his abdomen and neck.
    Writing in her memoirs STEVE McQUEEN: THE LAST MILE, she fumes, "America turned its back on Steve McQueen. I wrote a letter to President Ronald Reagan asking him to please bring these drugs into America so that he could be treated at home. I never had a reply."
    And the widow is still bitter over her late husband's medical treatment, claiming American doctors lied to her about how long her late husband had left to live.
    She recalls, "His doctors lied to me. They said he had five to seven years, yet he passed away in five to six months. They said they didn't want to hurt me but I couldn't have been more hurt by his passing. It still pains me."

Source: http://news.superiorpics.com/2006/10...__1438_17.html
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

If she's still bitter about his death 26 years later, she should get counseling.

A*O

Okaaaaaaaay - so her husband died from cancer and it's President Regan's fault. I don't know much about this woman. Is she a vociferous campaigner for cancer charities, etc??? Is she channelling her anger into something more positive to help other victims???
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldnt be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The Last Mile coincides with the 26th anniversary of the actor's death and also an auction of McQueen memorabilia hosted by Bonhams and Butterfields (www.bonhams.com) at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.
    Source:http://stvmcqueen.tripod.com/lastmile.html
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Elite Member

I can understand her anger, but I hope to God she doesn't think it's personal. To this day, many still have to go to places like Mexico to get treatment to save their lives. Now that Regan is gone, let's blame Bush. It's not like he's not to blame for everything anyway.

And why would she ever presume doctors could accurately predict the time of anyone's death? It's a bit unfair to blame them.

I agree with Icepik. She's bitter and needs counselling.

Um, honey, he ignored EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. Remember he didn't even MENTION the word AIDS his entire Presidency dispite the fact that it was raging across the country???? Please....

Wait, didnt he smoke?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I remembered him being married to Ali McGraw so I imdb'd him. She was wife no. 3 and they were married less than seven months. It's sad and all, but good Lord, move on

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Um, honey, he ignored EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. Remember he didn't even MENTION the word AIDS his entire Presidency dispite the fact that it was raging across the country???? Please....
    Hey now. In Reagan's defense, he was sleeping through most of his Presidency

Please, Reagan did not force her husband to do anything. She's blaming him for NOT introducing "experimental" drugs? Come on!! If a drug is still in it's experimental stages, that means there is no guarantee it could work, and he may have ended up dead anyway because they're "experimental."

It sounds to me like she just wants to blame someone for her husbands death, and now, since Reagan is dead as well, she's letting him have it.

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    Hey now. In Reagan's defense, he was sleeping through most of his Presidency
    Funniest thing I have read all day/night.

America turned its back on steve? oooookaaaayyyyy

Thread Information