Thread: Michael J. Fox responds to Rush Limbaugh

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Michael J. Fox responds to Rush Limbaugh

Michael J. Fox Responds to Limbaugh

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 25, 2006 08:05AM EST
    WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 25, 2006 03:05PM EST UPDATED
    By Stephen M. Silverman

Michael J. Fox has responded to conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, who suggested that Fox's Parkinson's-related tremors in a TV ad for a Democratic politician were exaggerated.

In the ad for Missouri Senate challenger Claire McCaskill, who supports stem-cell research, Fox exhibits the severe shaking and stiffness associated with Parkinson's disease. (See clip below.) But Limbaugh said on his syndicated radio program Tuesday that Fox was "either off his medication or acting."

Campaigning in Chicago for Democratic Congressional candidate Tammy Duckworth, Fox shot back, "My pills are working really well right now," the Associated Press reports.

Limbaugh said on his radio show, "If this was not an act, then I apologize." He went on to say, however, that Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited.

Fox's rep, John Rogers, called Limbaugh's remarks "shameful," USA Today reports. "It's an appalling, sad statement. Anybody who understands Parkinson's disease knows it's because of the medicine that one experiences" involuntary movements like those Fox shows in the commercial.

Missourians Against Human Cloning, a group that opposes stem-cell research, will air its own ad during Game 4 of the World Series Wednesday night, the AP reports. The ad will feature celebrities such as Patricia Heaton, The Passion of the Christ star Jim Caviezel and the St. Louis Cardinals' Jeff Suppan, the starting pitcher in the night's game against the Detroit Tigers.

In Fox's 30-second spot for McCaskill, which has been viewed by more than 1 million people on YouTube.com, the actor, 45, tells voters, "What you do in Missouri matters to millions of Americans. Americans like me."

Parkinson's is a chronic, progressive disorder of the central nervous system that renders patients increasingly unable to control their movements.

Fox was first diagnosed with the disease in 1991 and went public with it in a 1998 PEOPLE cover story. In 2000, he stopped acting full-time because of the disease, devoting himself to spending time with his family (he and wife Tracy Pollan, 46, are parents to Sam, 17, twins Aquinnah and Schuyler, 11, and Esmé, 5) and working with his Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

Since then, the organization has raised millions of dollars.

In the TV commercial, Fox says McCaskill, who is currently Missouri's state auditor, "shares my hope for cures," while her opponent, Republican Sen. Jim Talent, wants to "criminalize" expanded research. Fox also says President Bush shares Talent's stance on stem cell research.

Talent's spokesman, Rich Chrismer, called Fox's statements "false" and said Talent supports "stem cell research that doesn't involve cloning or destroying a human embryo," according to USA Today.

Fox has also filmed commercials for Maryland U.S. Senate candidate Ben Cardin and Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, and he is scheduled to appear at campaign events for Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey and congressional candidate Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, the AP reports.

source:
    http://people.aol.com/people/article...550399,00.html

MJF ad on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WB_PXjTBo&eurl=

celeb opposition ad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguJQ_dRPXw&eurl=

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Michael J. Fox Responds to Limbaugh
    Fox shot back, "My pills are working really well right now," the Associated Press reports.
    I highly doubt that Michael J. Fox was saying that for that asshole Rush's benefit, as a retort. It's just a factual statement, to emphasize the physical reality of parkinson's. Pills can only do so much (particularly the pills we have formulated thus far). Some people just can't understand any reality outside of their own, and perpetuate a general fear of and disdain for science to further their own ideas. This needs to change, now. I'm sick and tired of idiots running the country.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Michael J. Fox: I Was Too Medicated

by Natalie Finn
    Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:02:36 PM PDT

Rush Limbaugh should have checked with Michael J. Fox's mom before suggesting that the actor was purposefully playing up his Parkinson's for the cameras when filming a series of ads touting political candidates who support embryonic stem cell research.

"She was the one actually, when the comments were made, she was the only one who was really angry," Fox told Katie Couric during an interview airing Thursday on the CBS Evening News.
    "She said, 'I can't even see straight,'" Fox recalled. "I said, 'Mom, just relax, it's okay, don't worry about it.' But it's just not that simple. That's why we're doing this."

Fox said that his mother, Phyllis, was with him while he taped the 30-second spots and was telling people backstage that her son was "trying so hard to be still."

"The irony is that I was too medicated," the four-time Emmy winner said. "Because the thing about…being symptomatic is that it's not comfortable. No one wants to be symptomatic; it's like being hit with a hammer.

"At this point now, if I didn't take medication I wouldn't be able to speak."
    Which would do a huge disservice to others afflicted with neurodegenerative disorders, considering Fox has maximized his star power to increase awareness, raise funds and support the development of new treatments that could one day put a stop to diseases like his.

Fox, 45, was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1991 and started speaking out about his condition in 1998.

"Honestly, I mean, I really feel this: That you get in your life very few chances to make a difference," Fox said Thursday. "And I really feel privileged that I get a chance to do this. But having said that, it's not pretty when it gets bad. I've learned to throw vanity out the window."
    That's not what Limbaugh said. The right-wing radio host called Fox "shameless" during his Monday show, accusing the Spin City star of either being off his meds or acting to exaggerate the ravages of Parkinson's disease, which affects the central nervous system.

An ad supporting Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill premiered Saturday during Game 1 of the World Series pitting St. Louis against Detroit. In the commercial Fox reminds voters that "what you do in Missouri matters to millions of Americans. Americans like me."
    After Limbaugh was chastised across the board, he said that he would apologize to Fox if it turned out he was mischaracterizing the actor's behavior.

"Okay, I need to apologize," the radio personality said on the air Thursday. "I was wrong because I speculated either he didn't take his medication or he was acting."

But, "I never said the word faking. Now, if you people on the left want to equate acting with faking, I mean, go ahead George Clooney would be a faker, all your favorite actors, we'll call them fakers. I never used the word. But I was wrong. He did take his medications. Now he took too much medication.

"The point is," Limbaugh continued, "he did something differently to appear in this ad than when he appears on Boston Legal. And that was my first human reaction… I think the reason for that is so you would really, really hate Republicans, because Republicans don't want to cure it. [Republican Senator] Jim Talent doesn't care. [Republican candidate] Michael Steele doesn't care. No one in the Republican Party cares. They don't want to cure these things. They're happy, in fact, to see people suffer like Mr. Fox is in this ad."

Same old Rush.

Fox told Couric that it would have been near-impossible to plan filming around his physical high and low-points.

He said that he just takes his medication "and it kicks in when it kicks in…You don't know when that's going to be."

source:
    http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...4-914ed313b930

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

God bless Michael. He seems like a really good guy and it's really great of him to allow himself to be "exploited" because in the end, it's going to help people. There are probably so many people—myself included—that did not have a full understanding of the disease until all this coverage on Michael started happening. It's sad but it's true—people are generally ignorant to what they don't personally experience. I think it's courageous of any 'celebrity' to stop their career and devote it to a cause like this.

But, "I never said the word faking. Now, if you people on the left want to equate acting with faking, I mean, go ahead George Clooney would be a faker, all your favorite actors, we'll call them fakers. I never used the word. But I was wrong. He did take his medications. Now he took too much medication.
    Oh shut up. Assuming he's "acting" is the same as assuming he's "faking" because what is acting? Pretend.

Rush Limbaugh just needs to die a slow, horrible and painful death. Evil motherfucker.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Rush Limbaugh just needs to die a slow, horrible and painful death. Evil motherfucker.
    ^Agreed! It is so cruel to make light or minimize a person's medical issues. No one knows how crappy it is to feel sick until they're there. People should thank God they have good health because one day they might not have it.

Rush will eat his words one day.

Don't you know if Michael was campaigning for a REPUBLICAN candidate Rush would be bubbling over with support and praise for his "sacrifice". I can't stand hypocrites like Limbaugh!!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

He doesn't even need to respond to Rush; he's far and above Rush in everyway; Rush to me isn't even a human being...

Thread Information