Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madonna wanted baby Dave and now she's got him

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Madonna wanted baby Dave and now she's got him

MADONNA’S newly adopted baby son was flown into Britain early today after the star had him whisked out of Malawi.

The nanny, bodyguard and aides accompanying the child avoided waiting reporters at Heathrow’s Terminal 1 arrivals hall and left by another exit.

The pop queen had earlier launched an audacious operation to foil legal bids in the southern African state to stall her getting custody of 13-month-old Davie Banda.

She ordered a bodyguard and a personal assistant to fly him out of Malawi — catching opponents to the adoption there on the hop.

The singer paid tens of thousands of pounds to hire a private plane which flew 919 miles from Johannesburg, South Africa, to touch down at Lilongwe airport.

An hour later three cars swept on to the runway. The middle motor, a Nissan 4x4, carried 48-year-old Madonna’s PA, called Siobhan, and the minder.

Davie was strapped into a seat in the back of the vehicle. Siobhan lifted the baby, clad in blue jeans, a white T-shirt, red socks and trainers, and carried him on to the jet.

Hand luggage was loaded and 15 minutes later the plane took off to return to Johannesburg.

Within a few hours Davie — accompanied by four bodyguards and a woman — was seen at a departure lounge gate.

The group then boarded a flight to Heathrow.

The mission took place soon after the tot, from a dilapidated orphanage, was finally granted a passport by the Malawian government. Sources said that it carried a US visa.

As Madonna’s team swooped, documents were being filed demanding that a judge review her claims to the child.

Justin Dzonzi, a lawyer for a group of charities opposing the adoption, said the procedure had been fast-tracked.

He claimed the superstar had broken rules by not spending 18 months in Malawi before being granted custody.

Boniface Mandere, of the child protection group Eye of the Child, said: “The court seems to have made a decision based on Madonna’s wealth.”

The singer spent yesterday holed up in meetings in Central London.

She was spotted at the private club Home House near her Marble Arch house having lunch with men in grey suits.

Her husband, film director Guy Ritchie, 38, remained at their home with children Lourdes, ten, and Rocco, six.

A spokesman for Madonna said last night: “Madonna and Guy have been granted an interim injuction of baby David by the courts in Malawi.

“This interim adoption grants David’s new parents temporary custody for 18 months during which they will be evaluated by the courts of Malawi per tribal customs of the country.”

Madonna tried to bring Davie back from Malawi in person last Friday but was blocked because he did not have a passport.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006480223,00.html
    What do you think the chances are that she'll let him keep the name David?

And here's more:

Madonna is embroiled in a 'cash for babies' row after she dramatically flew the African child she wants to adopt out of Malawi on a private jet as charities battled to stop her.

One of the star's female staff, accompanied by a bodyguard, carried 13-month-old David Banda across the tarmac at Lilongwe airport and up the steps on to the plane. They flew to Johannesburg where they transferred to a commercial flight to Heathrow for a reunion with Madonna and her husband Guy Ritchie.

• Video: See Madonna's team take baby David out of Malawi

This morning the nanny, bodyguard and aides accompanying the child avoided waiting reporters at Heathrow's Terminal 1 arrivals hall and left by another exit.

The baby was then apparently driven through rush-hour traffic to the star's luxury home near London's Marble Arch - where more photographers were waiting.

Children's charities, aid groups and church organisations said they were furious that the 48-year-old singer had removed the child in the face of fierce opposition. There was particular concern Madonna had flown the child out while knowing a court action was beginning to try to prevent her taking the child out of the country.

See also
    Madonna set for further adoption hurdles in Britain

A judge granted the singer an interim order last week allowing her to take the child, but opponents claim his decision was not based on the law. They say that while Madonna was legally within her rights to fly David to Britain, she should have waited until the country's High Court had ruled on the legal challenge.

Emmie Chanika, executive director of the Civil Liberties Committee, said Madonna's actions were an example of 'one rule for the rich and one for the poor.' Malawi's law was clear that foreigners wishing to adopt had to live in the country for 18 months so they could be assessed as prospective parents.

"I am very angry," she said. "There are many people who want to adopt and they go through the proper procedure, however long that takes. People should be treated the same, whether they are rich or poor.

"Madonna has given money to orphanages here, but to me, after what has happened, this is tantamount to buying a baby. I am also deeply concerned that Madonna has chosen a child whose father is still alive. Why didn't she choose an orphan? How is that child going to feel when he grows up and knows that he was taken away in this manner?"

However David's father Yohane said he was 'ecstatic' with the news that David had finally left Malawi.

"I appealed to the self-styled lovers of David to leave my baby alone," he said. "Where were they when David didn't have milk when his mother died? Do they want him to go back to the orphanage?"

Madonna is said to have told her lawyers that they have an 'open cheque book' and must fight to the 'bitter end' to ensure baby David is not taken away from her.

She and her film-director husband flew to Malawi two weeks ago to choose a child to adopt. She fell in love with David after playing with him at the Home of Hope orphanage in Mchinji, where his father placed him after his mother Marita died a week after he was born. Two other sons died of malaria.

Despite the law on foreigners adopting Malawi children, a judge granted the star an interim order last Thursday allowing them to take him back to the UK for up to a year. But Madonna and 38-year-old Ritchie had to fly back to Britain the following day without David because he did not have a passport and he had to remain behind with members of her entourage.

Meanwhile Malawi's Human Rights Consultative Committee, an umbrella grouping of 67 non-governmental organisations, began a legal bid to overturn the interim order. They went to the High Court and will return today after the hearing was delayed by preliminaries.

It could take a week for a judge to decide whether they have a case, and if so they will then attempt to get a court order demanding David be returned to Malawi.

Although there is nothing to legally stop Madonna flying David out of the country at this point charities in the UK voiced unease at her decision.

Chris Atkins of the Transnational and Transracial Adoption Group, said it was 'hasty'. "There are issues which need to be considered and questions that need to be debated regarding people who have money and power adopting from abroad.

"This whole situation has not put inter-country adoption in a good light", she added.

He pointed out Madonna would also have to abide by the strict law in Britain governing the adoption of children from abroad.

A Malawi immigration official said at Lilongwe airport the child had been accompanied by two Britons and two Americans, one of whom listed their occupation as a nanny.

Meanwhile the star herself, who popped out for lunch but spent most the of the day at her London home, was said to be 'apoplectic' and has insisted David will be taken away over 'her dead body'. A team of lawyers are working frantically behind the scenes to resolve the crisis.

Tensions between the singer and her husband have reached boiling point, according to friends who say he wanted to take a more considered approach to the adoption. She was adamant she wanted her baby right away.

"Madonna is furious that this has happened after she has done so much for Malawi and given so much money to the country," says the source. She is said to have offered $3 million in aid.

"And she is saying that David will be taken away from her over her dead body. She has told her lawyers they have an open cheque book and instructed them to fight this to the bitter end."

As the row raged on officials in Malawi continued to insist that nothing is wrong. Penston Kilembe, Director Of Child Welfare in the Ministry of Gender, Child Welfare and Community Services insisted no laws were broken. He said Madonna had started the adoption process some time ago.

It 'was 'unrealistic' to expect a 'busy person' like Madonna to stay for 18 months in Malawi.

A spokeswoman for the star said Madonna was acting within the law by flying her son out of Malawi.

"He was issued a passport and a visa was granted earlier today which allows him to travel outside of Malawi. This interim adoption grants David's new parents temporary custody for 18 months, during which time they will be evaluated by the courts of Malawi per the tribal customs of the country.

"It is expected that the family will be reunited within the next few days."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...&icc=NEWS&ct=5
    I understand where the father is coming from but it seems a bit much for her to rush the kid out of the country knowing that there is strong opposition and it's in the hands of the court. Is she trying to turn this into an international cause celebré? If so, she's going to end up looking stupid and if that kid gets sent back, it's going to be even worse.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

I don't like Madonna.

Silver Member

Madonna stamps her feet, Madonna gets it

Simple as that

I think Guy needs to slap her...hard.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I find this hilarious. She's not doing herself any favours is she? She comes across as totally obnoxious and strange. She'll be jumping on Oprah's couch soon, I reckon.....

Why did she have to have this baby? There were many babies at the orphanage. Why couldn't she have chosen a baby who was truly an orphan? Because this baby happened to be the cutest one there?

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I think Guy needs to slap her...hard.
    He needs to slap her maybe 2 to 3 times. It's sad. Money talks. And fame. They get whatever they want when they want it. I feel bad for all the people out there who are going through the proper channels and muddling through all the paper work. Must be nice. I really hate it when people think they are above everyone else.

Bronze Member

I hate her more every day.

I thought I read here the names Luca and Raphael for the baby. Maybe she'll call him "Dah-vee". In any event, this entire adoption reads stolen baby to me. Every part that I've read seems very wrong. I can't figure out why she went to that particular country where the adoption laws are so strict.

It 'was 'unrealistic' to expect a 'busy person' like Madonna to stay for 18 months in Malawi.
    Oh, because normal people with real jobs and normal lives aren't busy, or it is somehow realistic to expect plebes to stay the 18 months in Malawi?

Bitch, please. If anyone could afford it and had the time, that person is Madonna.

And lord knows why she just had to have the orphan with a living father. This kid is going to grow up and even if he understands his father's good intentions for his survival, I think he'll resent Madonna for being a selfish bitch. As he should.

If he has a living father, is he an orphan^?
    So did she steal this baby or what?
    If he was living in an orphanage did his father give up his rights?
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Bronze Member Bullets In My TuTu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    An orphan can have one living parent, but it's not as common.

Guess I just always thought an orphan meant no parents...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Well, he's half an orphan I guess. He was at the orphanage because the father couldn't afford to care for him, although his plan, according to him, was to bring him home when he could afford to. I just hink Madonna wanted what she wanted and that was that. I guess it's great the kid will get a good education, etc but to know that his father is living in a grass hut in Malawi while he's hobnobbing with the Versace wench, etc might be a bit disconcerting for him.

--Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

She could have just picked a child that had no family left at all. Or given money to the guy to raise his child properly, because that's what it was all about: the father had to leave him in an orphanage because he couldn't afford to raise him. She's just being a selfish bitch. I hope that kid grows up to stab her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information