Thread: Madonna and Guy Ritchie arguing over possible adoption

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Madonna and Guy Ritchie arguing over possible adoption

GUY RITCHIE has rowed bitterly with Madonna over her plans to adopt an African baby, The Sun can reveal.

The film director fears his wife may just want the child as a celebrity status symbol — and that she has not considered the potential problems of such a move.

Guy, 38, knows first-hand the heartbreak adoption can cause.

His mother, Lady Amber Leighton, was forced to give up a baby boy for adoption when she was an unmarried 17-year old — and hid the secret for years.

And his stepmother, Shireen Ritchie, struggled for years to find the truth about the adoption of her own mother.

Power couple ... Madonna and Guy
    Friends say these experiences have led Guy to tell the queen of pop he does not want her to adopt.

But it seems mum-of-two Madge is determined to go ahead and spent last week visiting adoption agencies in Malawi.

A source close to the pair said: “Madonna is convinced it is the right thing to do but Guy has been very wary.

“It has led to some serious arguments and put a lot of pressure on their marriage.”

The source continued: “His family are very concerned Madonna wants an African baby as a celebrity status symbol, like Angelina Jolie.

“Guy has adoption issues in his family and is all too aware of the problems.

“He doesn’t think Madonna has really thought it through.”

Charity officials in Malawi have announced Madge, 48, has already adopted a one-year-old baby boy.

But on Thursday the singer’s spokesman insisted she had not adopted any African child.

Fifteen years ago, Guy’s mum Lady Amber was finally reunited with the son, Kevin Baynton, she gave away as a baby when she was a teenager.

Help ... Madge meets Aids orphans in Malawi

She later described how she had felt such pressure to keep the birth a secret that she had not told Guy and his older sister Tabitha that they had a brother until they were teens.

Guy’s stepmother also has adoption experience.

Shireen Ritchie, married to Guy’s father John, grew up believing her mother had been adopted, but discovered in the late Nineties that her mother had been her grandmother’s real daughter.

However, because the baby was born out of wedlock, her grandmother pretended the child had been adopted from a second cousin who had died.

Shireen told a newspaper: “It must have been a trauma.”

And she said she believed her grandmother’s life was overshadowed by the secret.

The adoption row is just the latest row between Madge and Guy about parenting.

Last month The Sun told how the couple had had a series of arguments over the schooling of their children Lourdes, nine, and Rocco, six.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006460731,00.html
    Sounds to me like Madonna backed out of the adoption since everyone flipped when they heard she had the kids lined up for 'inspection'.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

She's too high maintenance.

Why can't she be content with the two kids she already has? But adopting a kid from a foreign country would be so "cool" and a great status symbol. I think Guy knows exactly what he's talking about.

Elite Member

Great if Madonna is adopting for the right reasons but I doubt that she is, I think she is after the latest "handbag".. Hopefully Guy can talk some sense into her, though I get the feeling she does what she wants.

Guy is way way way too good for that wretched harpy hag.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I think adoption is a good thing, but for Pete's sake, she's almost 50. Who the heck wants to start all over again with a baby at that stage of the game?

Firstly shes too old to be considering adopting and secondly whats wrong with adopting from her own country?? Not exotic enough for her??

I don't understand why Guy is opposed to adoption for the reasons mentioned. What, because the adoptive mother has a hard time, the kids should go without families? That makes no sense.

That said, Madge is a harpy who rubs me the wrong way at every turn. Her desperation and pitiful attempts at popularity actually have me feeling bad for this hasbeen.

I could have sworn that I heard her say she doesn't want to adopt and isn't going to...

Thread Information