Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Croc Hunter Steve Irwin's wife cost ABC a cool million

Thumbs down Interview with Croc Hunter Steve Irwin's wife cost ABC a cool million

Noooo not in it for the money, what are you talking about....*snorts*

Barbara Walters landed a big get last week with her exclusive "20/20" interview of croc hunter Steve Irwin's widow. But it didn't come cheap.
    Sources inside and outside ABC News are questioning the ethics of a whopping "licensing fee" that Terri Irwin and her late husband's manager, John Stainton, demanded for footage of the daredevil.

While some sources say ABC coughed up $1 million or more, an ABC exec argues the network paid "mid-six figures."

ABC News spokesman Jeff Schneider insists, "We do not pay for interviews. Period. We paid a fair license fee for hours of exclusive material of Steve Irwin. Compensating rights-holders for their video is something that is a standard industry practice."

Some ABC staffers were taken aback by the payment, but one noted, "We had to put together an hour-long TV special. There was no other way around it. You had to pay for it. It's hard to tell that story without that footage."

According to one source, CBS "offered more. They put $1 million on the table," with the idea that Katie Couric would fly to Australia for the sit-down.

"They had a standing $1 million offer," claims the insider, "even as Barbara was headed Down Under. But the Irwin family preferred Barbara, because she's better known in Australia, where they get 'The View.'"

A CBS rep argues, "We were having conversations with the Irwin family's representative, but we never actually put an offer on the table."

CBS sources say interest in the Irwin interview also waned because Couric would have had to miss two nights anchoring the "Evening News."

A source at NBC says that network dropped out of the bidding "when the price became insane. You have to make a journalistic and financial decision about what you can tolerate.

"This is a real pattern with ABC. They have a big checkbook."

Says Schneider: "We pay fair market. We sometimes win and often we lose."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-385608c.html
    Last edited by moomies; October 4th, 2006 at 01:52 PM. Reason: adding full name in title
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I read this earlier today and the first thing I thought was 'how, in her state of mourning, was she up to negotiating television rights'? And why would she, anyway? Wouldn't allowing ABC a one-off usage contract have upheld the memory of her husband without ruinign future profit-making opportunities?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Just thinking out loud here, but I'm sure it was someone other than the wife herself that did the negotiating-like the manager guy, some PR guy or maybe a lawyer...and perhaps she wants to ensure her children's future this way...I don't see anything wrong with it, myself...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Pfft. Chances are she owns the exclusive rights to any of that material. Note they wouldnt do the interview without it?

I wonder what she'll get eaten by.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well she may not have had life insurance on him.... WHo would insure this guy???????????
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

so what; she's gotta support her family and that damn zoo now that Steves gone; she best smarten up like that and squeeze all the drama/publicity she can if she wants to stay outta the poor house.

Oh please, she gets all his millions now that one of his animals offed him! He had a fortune! She ain't hurtin!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Pfft. Chances are she owns the exclusive rights to any of that material. Note they wouldnt do the interview without it?

I wonder what she'll get eaten by.
    Does she work with dangerous animals as well? Good Lord if this is true then between her and the daughter another one is going to kick the bucket by animal attack!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm not sure I can judge her for this.

I'm trying to put myself in her shoes and I think that if my husband were killed (and famous) he would be pleased to know that I used the blood-sucking media and his celebrity status to squeeze every last penny possible out of it. We all talk about how celebrities have to pay the price of fame, so why isn't it okay for them to cash in? It might not be in good-taste, but I don't think any less of her for it.

I think I heard that he did have a life insurance policy, but no clue how much it was for. And not that it really matters anyway.

I don't know about this....I think it's tacky, yet, I can see why she did it and almost cannot fault her for it. Yet, I am also semi shocked....torn.

Consider the family they were.. tv shock jocks, basically. She's even grooming the little 'roo for tv or movies already.

She's a stage mom, pure and simple.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

perhaps she wants to ensure her children's future this way...I don't see anything wrong with it, myself...
    He was a multi-millionaire so unless he left it all to some not-known-about second family or similar, she's set for life.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

She's a stage mom, pure and simple.
    i watched the interview and already knew this from previous viewings of her; she's not even that smart, in fact she seems to be a little 'special' if you know what i mean. she works w/ animals for godsakes!

STAGE mom... ie: able to act.

She's probably had the boohoo i'm a widow face on while her brain feverishly worked out endorsement deals and where to buy her kids next movie audition outfit.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with what she did. The bottom line sadly is we all have to look out for asses cause life can change on a dime. If that means taking a million for photos or an interview you have to do what you have to do to survive so to speak. I knew he was buying land so it wouldnt be developed Im sure she is carrying that on or more likely his "people". I would do what I needed to ensure my children's well being and future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information