Thread: Papa Joe Simpson sell pics of Jessica and Ashlee

Default Papa Joe Simpson sell pics of Jessica and Ashlee

These days, canny celebrities know that by cozying up to individual photographers or agencies, they can influence how they are portrayed, discourage stalkerazzos, and even make a few bucks. Crass as it sounds, no one bats an eye anymore at the star who earns a down payment on her Malibu compound by selling shots of her newborn.

Then there's Joe Simpson. The perpetually hustling father and manager of Jessica and Ashlee has gone beyond merely co-opting the paparazzi and has actually become one of them.

According to sources who've had recent dealings with him, Simpson has a tight working arrangement with WireImage, the mega-agency and wire service that rules the red-carpet at nearly every high-profile event in the western hemisphere. On several occasions, a camera-wielding Simpson has gone toe-to-toe with other snappers for shots of his own daughters, then approved only his own images for distribution through WireImage. At other times, he has provided the agency with exclusive (and even racy) shots of his daughters on family getaways or in other putatively private moments.

Needless to say, other photographers aren't happy. One recalled being invited to cover an event sponsored by Jessica's record label, Epic, only to find her shots blocked again and again by Joe and his Nikon. "I thought it was really odd that he was always in my way, since I was the one who was paid to be there shooting," she says. Though the freelancer did manage to get some clean shots, Joe's were the only ones WireImage deemed worthy of being distributed.

How lucrative is Simpson's sideline? Hard to say; he didn't return Radar's calls, and neither did WireImage co-founder Kevin Mazur. It's thus unclear, for instance, whether WireImage pays Simpson only for the photos he takes—which are credited to Simpson on the WireImage site—or whether he receives a cut of all images of Jessica or Ashlee the agency sells. The latter arrangement would explain why, according to sources, Simpson has tried to bar other agencies from press events.

Cozy pacts between stars and photographers are nothing new, of course. Carmen Electra is said to grant exclusives to Michael Simon of StarTraks, and Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have a close relationship with Getty Images. But Joe Simpson's decision to take photos himself appears to be unique. WireImage, meanwhile, is fast gaining a reputation as the agency that will do anything to enhance its access and undercut its competitors. According to a story in the current issue of Photo District News, a trade magazine, WireImage routinely pays for access to events, "unlike the major wire services, which follow ethical guidelines to prevent conflicts of interest." PDN also reports that while WireImage claims to kill any unflattering images of its celebrity subjects, it quietly sells them under the table through its lesser known affiliate, DMI.

While Simpson may have found a partner that shares his business savvy, it would seem other parties are less well-served by the relationship. Epic, for instance, would be understandably frustrated if Simpson were barring his fellow paps from events, particularly with Jessica's album, A Public Affair, selling so poorly. Jessica, meanwhile, to all appearances continues assuming her father is doing what's best for her career. "Jessica doesn't even know what decisions are being made on her behalf," says one photographer. "I just hope one day this little girl realizes she doesn't need all this."
    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...-paparazzi.php

Jeez, he's not just a perv, he's a pimp, too. Papa Pimp.

Elite Member

Creepy that he wants to use the "I'm taking their photo" so he can lear at them...

Silver Member

Papa Joe, I am sure had nudes of his daughters as well for safe keeping. If the empire should crumble, he will sell those nudes. This guy is one sick nut. His daughters are completely brainwashed and we will find out they were probably also sexual abused.

Elite Member

There is just something so peculiar about Pappa Joe. Can anyone else imagine spending so much time with their parent 24/7? Perhaps when I was a child, but we're talking about adults here. He practically ran Jess's marriage. No wonder the union didn't last.

This is from Radar? I love that magazine. They aren't afraid to take on anyone. Finally a magazine that says it like it is!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Papa Joe is kinda hot... but still sick and pervy.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Oh moomies...I insist you take that back. Pappa Perv is NOT hot.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Does this guy have any life aside from pimping his daughters??

He is truly a scary individual. His love of control eclipses even his disturbing interest in his own daughters, in terms of creepiness. And all of them, Jessica, Ashlee, even his wife--their own mother, for crying out loud!--think this is okay and perfectly normal.

Amazing.

Gotta watch out for those ministers...

he is creepy, Whenever I see a picture of him my skin starts to crawl.

Hit By Ban Bus!

He is so disgusting it defies description.

Silver Member

eurghhh he is a freako for sure

Thread Information