Thread: Brooke Shields pregnant again

Default Brooke Shields pregnant again

ET and The Insider have confirmed that BROOKE SHIELDS is pregnant with baby No. 2! The Insider's MARC MALKIN reports that the new bundle of joy is due in the spring. Brooke married hubby CHRIS HENCHY in 2001. The couple's first daughter, ROWAN, is two years old.

Brooke made headlines earlier this year when she bravely stepped forward to talk about the postpartum depression she experienced after giving birth to Rowan. The 40-year-old former model and TV star, currently performing onstage in a revival of Chicago through Nov. 1, also engaged in a war of words with actor TOM CRUISE over the issue of taking prescription medication for postpartum depression.

Elite Member

Don't tell Tom!!!

Oh don't worry about Tom. He'll be too busy desperately trying to cover up Katie's PPD.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

is she still on any other medication?

Elite Member

^ I think she's taking an anti-depressant, and must have taken something to get preggers (her last pregnancy was a result of in-vitro fertilization).

Congratulations???

I guess she will not have ppd twice, right? Isn't ppd when you have regrets of having a baby? If she had ppd, why have another baby?

I am confused, but I have never had a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by chatterweb View Post
    I guess she will not have ppd twice, right? Isn't ppd when you have regrets of having a baby? If she had ppd, why have another baby?

I am confused, but I have never had a baby.
    You don't regret having a baby when you have PPD. Well, not in most cases. You just have severe depression.

Elite Member

I'm no expert, but I have had a child.

Off the top of my head, I think PPD is due to a hormonal imbalance after childbirth. A lot of women get it, and it's marked by a feeling of being overwhelmed, as well as sadness and helplessness, combined with physical and mental/emotional exhaustion.

Typically it's temporary and can be treated with medication and also probably goes away with time once the mom's body and hormones return to normal and she gets used to her new role. I feel bad for any woman who experiences it. The first few months after having a baby are rough for anyone.

PPD is not uncommon at all. And not all PPD is severe. And most certainly not all cases of women suffering with severe PPD end up doing crazy ass shit like the stories you hear about in the news. Oh, and regretting having a baby has nothing to do with it. Having my child was definitely worth it and I'd do it again. Knowing what to expect and being over that panicky feeling of being overwhelmed by wondering whether or not you'll be a good mom goes a long way when it comes to lessening the likihood of a repeat of PPD...or at least the severity. I think most women experience some sort variation on this at one time or another afterward simply due to hormones going haywire. In other words...it's perfectly normal occurrence probably since the beginning of women having babies. The extreme cases that have gotten media attention in the last 10 or so yrs are just why everyone makes such a huge deal about it now. There's been good and bad that's come from that.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

i had PPD with one child and not the other...
    i think the reason was the second was a LOT more stressful than the first... the first one i got plenty of sleep and stuff when she was born and we came home.. the second was like a drive thru .. i had to hurry home to the first one... and i never got enuf sleep and time to adjust...

im not looking for excuses.. my kids are now teens alive and well and annoying as teens are... i was just giving insight to PPD in general as it applied to me... as far as getting over it.. within 3 months i was OK... i seriously think i was just exhausted for the last month of the pregnancy and then the first 3 months of the second birth .. no meds.. (no im not xenu) i agree with above poster... it has degrees of severity

I had it with all of my children (4). I took meds but not after all of them. Dr. told me that studies have shown breastfeeding to take the blow out of postpartum and it worked for me. I had really great support from family after the first diagnosis(2 child) so I was very blessed.

It is really horrible. You cry ALL THE TIME. You might not even know you have it either. I knew I had it with my first one because the crying didn't go away. You do get a little baby blues after because of the hormonal drop in the body. It is more common than people think. I had a co-worker who got psychosis. It was really bad. She didn't know who she was and really tried to hurt the baby. She is fine now but it took about a year to get her where she could be left alone with the baby.

No one should mess around with it. Damn Tom Cruise. I think he did a lot of damage with his assinine comments.

^^^I agree. Tom opened his mouth and out came pure garbage. WTF would he know about it? I feel so badly for mothers who have PPD. I had 'baby blues' for about a week after each son, due to hormones, that had me sobbing uncontrollably like the world had ended. I can't imagine feeling that way for longer than what I did.

PPD is no joke...as all the other posters have said, it is HORRIBLE. I have been dealing w/it for awhile now. I didn't want to admit to having the feelings I was having so I delayed treatment. NOT GOOD. It's just not talked about enough...so I thank Brooke for coming forward. More women need to do it. It's this dirty little secret that no one talks about because it's embarrassing. Well, not w/me. Fuck Tom Cruise.

Better watch for the scientology cult, there coming to take over our minds.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Thread Information