Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael J. Fox Blasts Bush's Stem Cell Veto

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Michael J. Fox Blasts Bush's Stem Cell Veto

Michael J. Fox Blasts Bush Stem Cell Veto
    By Staff
    Jul 22, 2006

Actor Michael J. Fox has slammed US President George W. Bush's decision to veto government funding of pioneering studies into stem cell research.
    On Wednesday (19JUL06), Bush used his power of veto for the first time since he came to power in January 2001.
    And "Back To The Future" star Fox, who suffers from Parkinson's Disease, is outraged Bush went against American public opinion that scientists should be allowed to try and find the cure for many diseases using the cells from nearly 400,000 embryos currently in storage.

He says, "I regret the loss of five years when real progress could have been made, and I find it frustrating that the president would use his first veto of his time in office to thwart this research. It just seems a shame to me.

"I am respectful of those who oppose this research and their reasoning for it but they do represent a minority.
    "I think that to make a choice to protect millions of cells that are going to be destroyed over protecting millions of living and soon-to-be living human beings and citizens of this country... it's hard to get around that.

"I figure you have to trust the American people, our scientists, our institutions, our facilities, to really do the right thing and lead the way with this.

"It's going to happen anyway, so why doesn't it happen with American oversight and federal funding, and with an enthusiastic and well-thought-out approach?

"Since when does America wait for somebody else to figure it out? I mean, we should figure it out.

"We have been blessed with the resources and the intelligence and the spirit and the energy to tackle these kinds of problems. We are all set to do it and we need leadership from the top to spur us on to do it."

source:
    http://www.postchronicle.com/news/or...21229840.shtml

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: Michael J. Fox Blasts Bush's Stem Cell Veto

That's a shame

Everyone has an opinion on this. I think Michael J Fox is right though. Unfortunately this president does what he wants,no matter what the majority wants.He has often said ,he knows whats good for the american people.Hogwash

hm, this is a very sensitive topic and i understand that it is a very important topic for michael j fox but some of the things he says make me lift my eyebrows.

I would argue his statement that says the "majority" want this as well. I don't want to get into a debate about whether this is right or wrong but I don't think his statement about that is accurate.

I'm glad Fox spoke up and said something. That veto was shameful. Pandering to the religious right just to make them feel better and hopefully get their votes for republicans in November.

For shame. Bush doesn't give a crap what happens with stem cells, probably doesn't even understand the issue.
    I DON'T WANT MORE CHOICE, I JUST WANT NICER THINGS!

Fucking serious bummer.......

Hit By Ban Bus!

I support stem cell research 100%. Allowing those who could benefit from the research continue to suffer is an incredible atrocity. I have watched loved ones suffer from diseases that could easily be cured with the research and it just sickens me that this controversy even exists. I think ignorance fueled by the religious right has clouded this issue and prevented advances in medicine that will most certainly save lives and improve the quality of their lives. Damn shame...can't hardly wait for Bush's term to be over.

I don't care if I am in the majority...the majority is rarely as moral and just as it should be. That said...the religious right is EXTREMELY vocal making them seem like the majority but I agree with MJF and think the majority of people support stem cell research. They understand the enormity of the impact of the research and some are very religious people who support this. MJF is also right...many of these cells are simply destroyed and would be regardless. Why not save lives with them? People who don't support stem cell research shouldn't support in vitro fertilization either because truth be told thousands, maybe millions of fertilzed eggs a year are "thrown away". What a waste.

the majority is rarely as moral and just as it should be
    I sincerely hope you aren't saying those who don't support this particular form of stem cell research are not moral or just.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball
    I sincerely hope you aren't saying those who don't support this particular form of stem cell research are not moral or just.
    no...just that the idea of majority matters little when delineating right and wrong regardless of the topic.

Ethics and public opinion are very separate entities in my mind.

As it relates to this topic...I think that MJF said it very well. Specifically, that I respect people feelings on the topic and the origins of their beliefs but if it were the appropriate forum I would discuss the facts of the situation as it relates to the actual science behind the propaganda. That said...this is not one of those forums. I mean no disrepect for your views. The original intent of my post was to express that I am an ardent supporter of stem cell research, for I firmly believe it will end a great deal of human sufferage and feel that to not persue it is in some sense a crime against humanity. IMPO

Good for him for speaking up about this, what a shame that the president has done this :/.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Well, anything to kiss the "moral" minority's ass.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

"I figure you have to trust the American people, our scientists, our institutions, our facilities, to really do the right thing and lead the way with this.
    A little disheartening to hear this from a former Canadian (not sure if he has double citizenship, but he's welcome back in Canada if things don't work out in the US ).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

You know I am not one to wish ill will or ill health on someone, but if the prez had someone close to him that this could benefit, I wonder would he feel differently...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel
    You know I am not one to wish ill will or ill health on someone, but if the prez had someone close to him that this could benefit, I wonder would he feel differently...
    Yeah, he should try being in my shoes, living with Huntington's Disease just ONE day. I bet, he would personally go out and get those embryos somewhere in Iraq or so.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information