Thread: David Beckham resigns as England captain

Default David Beckham resigns as England captain

DAVID Beckham decided to step down as England captain yesterday after an emotional heart-to-heart phone call from wife Victoria.

Posh, 32, and seven-year-old son Brooklyn both wept after seeing Becks limp off the pitch at Gelsenkirchen in tears.

She tried to console him in mobile phone calls as she was ferried from the stadium to the wives and girlfriends’ hotel in Baden-Baden.

Becks finally sat down in his hotel room to compose his resignation statement in the early hours of yesterday after he and Victoria agreed that he should resign.

An England insider said last night: “A lot of raw emotion poured out during their talks on the phone. It’s a decision Becks could never have made without Victoria — they made it together.

“He wanted to bow out as a World Cup winner but it just didn’t turn out that way and they agreed it was time to take a new direction together.

“It was a mature decision which will take the pressure off the whole family.” Beckham, 31, fought back tears and his voice cracked with emotion as he read out his handwritten speech.

In it, he said he had lived the dream and was “extremely proud” to have worn the captain’s armband.
    Real Madrid star Becks was helped away by FA minders after reading out his 110-second statement.

Chelsea skipper John Terry is now set to become England’s new captain.
    His first game in charge will be the friendly against Greece at Old Trafford on August 16.

New England coach Steve McClaren admires Terry’s leadership qualities and believes he will command the team just like he does with Chelsea.

Terry’s club boss Jose Mourinho said: “He is inspiring in the way that he’s a winner. He wants to fight every game so when he is in the team he’s a plus because he can influence people with his spirit.”

And ex-England captain Tony Adams said: “Some people are natural captains. I would imagine that every team that John has ever played for made him their captain.”
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006300473,00.html

Elite Member

Default Re: David Beckham resignes from England captain

I heard him on t.v. today. I don't get it, what's the big deal? Also, he doesn't have a girl voice, but I was surprised at his accent. It's little different than the typical British accent isn't it? Is it from a particular region?

Silver Member

Default Re: David Beckham resignes as England captain

I just watched it on youtube. I don't know where he's from but his voice is a little different, not deep. Anyways, I'd still take him!

his voice sounds like a little british girl who maybe had some cigarettes...but it's sad he's stepping down.

And it sounds like her and Victoria are real partners...hope for the best for them both. Maybe she'll start eating...
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

Silver Member

He does have somewhat of a feminine voice.

I think it's dumb to quit being captain but still wanting to play for England. If you were given the honor you should stick with it till the end and not bow out when your team loses

Default Re: David Beckham resigns as England captain

like i said in the other thread, becks did shit as a leader of the team. he lacks that ability to be a good captain.
    it is about time for them to get a new captain. JT FOR CAPTAIN!

Silver Member

Default Re: David Beckham resigns as England captain

Wasn't he hurt? I thought he wouldn't be playing anymore on the current team. I don't follow these things closely so forgive my ignorance

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    He does have somewhat of a feminine voice.

I think it's dumb to quit being captain but still wanting to play for England. If you were given the honor you should stick with it till the end and not bow out when your team loses
    Besides brains, he must lack balls also.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    Besides brains, he must lack balls also.
    Yeah, Posh is the one who has his balls!

Thread Information