Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl in coma awakened by James Blunt song

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Girl in coma awakened by James Blunt song

Girl, 5, awoken from coma by favourite James Blunt song

by JAMES TOZER, Daily Mail 20:29pm 19th June 2006

After a horrific headfirst fall from a 15ft high balcony, there were fears Claudia De'Alwis might not survive.
    For ten days she lay in a coma in hospital, her distraught parents praying at her bedside for a miracle. But it was only when the five-year-old's favourite song - You're Beautiful by James Blunt - came on the hospital radio that she finally began to awaken.

Yesterday, as she continued to make a remarkable recovery, her mother and father said they were convinced that the melody of the singer's Number One hit had helped her pull through.
    "Claudia loves You're Beautiful and she used to sing it all the time," said her father Paul, 40. "It was like her theme tune.
    "Following the accident, the doctors warned us she might not make it, and after ten days in a coma we were desperately worried that she wasn't going to recover.
    "But then the song came on the radio and she started to move for the first time, and we could tell she was starting to wake up.
    "It was an unforgettable moment when she opened her eyes and acknowledged us at last.
    "Since then it's been tough but she hasn't looked back, she's a real fighter, and I'm sure that hearing the song she loves so much helped her come round."
    Claudia, an only child, fell from a first-floor balcony onto a hallway floor while playing at a friend's house last month, suffering a fractured skull.
    Her father Paul, a property developer, and mother Gaynor Turner, 40, a bank clerk, live in a bungalow in Burnley, Lancashire, and they fear she was unused to the dangers of heights.
    After being stabilised at the accident and emergency unit of her local hospital, she was transferred to Royal Manchester Children's Hospital in Pendlebury where her parents spent ten days at her bedside around the clock praying for her to recover.
    "The doctors told us straight away that it was a case of life and death," said Mr De'Alwis. "We broke down when we saw the state of her.
    "She was strapped down with tape everywhere so that she couldn't move for her own safety, but she was unconscious anyway.
    "The doctors said she might not make it and if she did she might not speak, or may be brain-damaged or paralysed."
    But after her remarkable recovery her parents now hope the youngster, who goes to Wellfield Church School, Burnley, will be able to go home in time for her sixth birthday next month.
    "She is still paralysed in the right arm and leg, but she is starting to move more and more," said Mr De'Alwis. "She can already walk a few yards and we've been told she should be able to go home in about two weeks' time.
    "Claudia is a fantastic, really strong little girl. She has a better social life than I do - she does martial arts, swimming and ballet. That's what we think saved her life, as she is such a fit little girl."
    Harrow-educated Blunt, a former cavalry officer, has sold six million copies of the album from which You're Beautiful is taken, Back to Bedlam.
    But the 32-year-old has faced accusations that his music is bland while being publicly linked with a series of lovers including socialite Tara Palmer Tomkinson and model Petra Nemcova. Consultant neurosurgeon Donald Campbell said that while there was no specific evidence that patients are helped by sounds, families often find them a help.

Claudia De'Alwis awoke when she heard James Blunt's song You're Beautiful.

source:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

KD
    Elite Member

Default Re: Girl in coma awakened by James Blunt song

She wanted to tell them to turn it THE FUCK OFF!!!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

^^ lol, I'd be awakened by the sheer annoyance of it as well.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

KD
    Elite Member

Oh, beautiful little girl tho, and I hope she gets better in no time. I felt guitly focusing on my hated for that DAMN SONG!

Huh. See, I would think James Blunt's music is the kind that knocks you into a coma, not the opposite.

SVZ

did the waking up include projectile vomiting and bleeding out of all her orifices?

OMG Claudia's awake! Claudia's awake!

She is a beautiful little girl!

I would awaken from my coma to tell them to turn it the hell off!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

YOu took the words straight out of my mouth.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    did the waking up include projectile vomiting and bleeding out of all her orifices?

beautiful kid tho!
    Drive-by poster

I'm so pleased something positive came from awful wailing passed off as a song. She's such a pretty girl, I'm glad she's better.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ

Hahahaha. You know, I didn't want to see that movie ever because I'd be haunted by those images, but now I've seen those images! But it actually is somewhat cheesy horror..

I used to like James Blunt but now his voice is just unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by KD

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I'd want to go back in a coma if someone blasted James Blunt's caterwauling in my ear.

Cute little girl, but they could have been playing anything from Beethoven's 5th to Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil.

I'm guessing it was the fact that it was a song she'd probably heard 50,000 times on the radio in the last couple months before the accident that it elicited a response. Not because of the particular song.

I'd tape record one of her ballet or martial arts classes and play it and see what happens.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I remember reading some odd statistic that claimed that more people have come out of comas while listening to Tom Petty than anything else. Everyone in my life has been informed that I want Tom Petty played nonstop if I am ever in a situation like that.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information