Thread: Warrant issued for Boy George

Default Warrant issued for Boy George

N.Y. judge issues warrant for Boy George

By SAMUEL MAULL, Associated Press Writer Fri Jun 16, 8:46 PM ET

NEW YORK - A clearly annoyed Manhattan judge issued an arrest warrant Friday for Boy George after the former Culture Club singer failed to appear in court to explain why he wants to change his sentence for falsely reporting a burglary.

Judge Anthony Ferrara also ridiculed the singer's suggestions for serving community service, which included a proposal to hold a fashion-and-makeup workshop. But he said he would not order an arrest until a June 26 hearing on whether Boy George violated the terms of his sentence.

The singer, whose real name is George O'Dowd, pleaded guilty in March to false reporting of a burglary at his Manhattan apartment, where police found cocaine.
    Under his plea deal, O'Dowd was to enter a drug-treatment program in England and do five days of community service in Manhattan. He was also fined $1,000.

But the judge angrily complained that O'Dowd had not paid the fine and had never reported to the office that assigns community service work.

"I put people in jail who don't pay fines," the judge told O'Dowd's lawyer, Louis Freeman. "Why shouldn't I do that?"

Freeman said he had told O'Dowd, who was in England, that he did not have to appear Friday but that he should be ready to fly to New York on a moment's notice. He said the singer would be present for his next court date.

Assistant District Attorney Craig Ortner called O'Dowd's absence "audacious" and told the judge he opposed any modification of the sentence.

"The defendant got a good deal. He got a fair deal," Ortner said.
    O'Dowd's drug woes reportedly led to the collapse of Culture Club, which scored the hit 1980s singles "Karma Chameleon" and "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"

The judge ridiculed Freeman's community service proposals, which included helping teenagers make a public-service announcement, holding a fashion-and-makeup workshop, and serving as D.J. at an HIV/ AIDS benefit.

His lawyer said O'Dowd hoped to do something more worthwhile than sweeping streets and sidewalks.

"There's nothing wrong with that if that's part of his punishment, but it will turn into a media circus, and the press will be following him every day," Freeman said.

The judge said he understood the objection to street cleaning: "It's humiliation." However, he said, O'Dowd "got out from under a felony, and he took a (misdemeanor) deal that had an element of humiliation. And he doesn't serve himself well by not paying the fine. We know he has the means."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060617/...JlYmhvBHNlYwM-

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Default Re: Warrant issued for Boy George

good Lord..He doesnt look like the ''boy toy'' anymore...and he used to be so..''sniff,sniff'' PRETTY.
    The Tooth Fairy teaches its OK to sell body parts for money[IMG]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0/enterx1x.jpg[/IMG]

Damn. I like Boy George and I'd hate to think he was back on drugs again. I hope he at least stays away from the smack.

BTW, nice name AcidLullabye
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I like him too. I hope he cleans ups. I think he sings great.

I hope he pulls it together, too. I love his voice and I think he's hilarious in interviews. Plus, I've got a thing for queens

He's at my house, and good luck trying to find us, bitches!!!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

KD
    Elite Member

Well, if he plead guilty, he needs to pay up either way.

Elite Member

Back in the early 80's I used to loooooove The Culture Club! Karma Chameleon, Church of the Poison Mind, I'll Tumble For Ya, Do You Really Want To Hurt Me...I looooved Boy George. He has such a great voice. What a shame that he got into drugs. Another statistic...

Quote Originally Posted by AcidLullabye
    good Lord..He doesnt look like the ''boy toy'' anymore...and he used to be so..''sniff,sniff'' PRETTY.
    Agreed. Whatever happened to his boyfriend Marilyn? The one who sung that *I hear you on the radio* song?

I used to think he was pretty too!

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    Agreed. Whatever happened to his boyfriend Marilyn? The one who sung that *I hear you on the radio* song?

I used to think he was pretty too!
    Didn't Marilyn overdose? I think I read that somewhere.

Poor George. Culture Club rocked and he was a pretty good DJ in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by birdmadgirl
    Didn't Marilyn overdose? I think I read that somewhere.
    Really? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    Really? Not sure.
    My mistake. I Googled it, and Marilyn is alive and well. It was a keyboard player who OD'ed in Boy George's house a long time ago. My bad

Update: Boy George to pick trash
    Pick trash or jail, Boy George told

A judge scolded Boy George yesterday, telling the androgynous singer that he really didn't want to hurt him - but would jail him if he didn't do his community service by picking up trash. Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Anthony Ferrara was peeved that George had yet to start the five days of community service he was sentenced to in March.
    "If you don't do the community service, I'll make you a promise, you'll go through that door," Ferrara told the 1980s British pop icon, pointing to the entrance to the jail cells.
    The singer's lawyer, Louis Freeman, said George, whose real name is George O'Dowd, would rather settle the score by doing an AIDS benefit in lieu of picking up trash.
    Freeman had argued in vain that it would "turn into a media circus" if the entertainer were forced to sweep the streets. "It's up to you whether you make it an exercise in humiliation or in humility," Ferrara said.
    George went straight to the probation offices to get his assignment. He's to report to the Sanitation Department and complete his service by Aug. 28.
    "I've always been a scrubber," quipped George, leaving it unclear if he was using the American word for cleaner or the British slang for prostitute.
    He pleaded guilty in March to falsely reporting a break-in at his Little Italy loft, where cops found 13 bags of cocaine. In addition to community service, his plea deal required him to attend a drug rehabilitation program and pay a $1,000 fine.
    Barbara Ross and Bill Hutchinson

Originally published on June 27, 2006
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-362730c.html

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Boy George is simply too queenly to be picking up rubbish on the side of the road, unless it's really cute with a tight ass.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Thread Information