Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victoria Beckham: Obsessed with her image?

Default Victoria Beckham: Obsessed with her image?

Why Posh is obsessed with her image
    by LIZ JONES, Daily Mail

In her autobiography, she has owned up to having once come close to an eating disorder. And who could blame Victoria Beckham when the pop industry devours young women as voraciously and unforgivingly as the fashion business, asks LIZ JONES

Over the past seven years, ever since we shot a cover for Marie Claire together, I have been trying not to be too worried about Victoria Beckham. She's tough. She's smart. She has her own money.

Back then, in the summer of 1999, she also seemed remarkably down to earth and unspoilt. On spotting the Corr sisters, also on the shoot that day, she squeaked to her husband down her mobile: "Day-vid! I've just spotted the Corrs! They are so beautiful!"

But then, yesterday, I saw her picture plastered on the front pages and I thought, oh dear. What on earth is she doing to herself?

Don't let the head of hair (mostly fake), the ample breasts (totally fake; I have, in my office, the original print from that cover shoot, taken by Patrick Demarchelier, and beneath her pink Versace dress you can clearly see how flat chested she once was), or the healthy glow (tan courtesy of Fake Bake), or her face heavily made up with lots of foundation, (concealer, blusher and false eyelashes) fool you.

She looks positively ill, emaciated, those Twiglet legs eerily reminiscent of the day I watched her model a pair of shorts on the catwalk for British designer Maria Grachvogel, when everyone in the front row, inured to the sight of young women with painfully low bmi less than 12 parading inches from our noses, gasped with shock at how ill she looked.

Looking at the picture yesterday, I thought, hmmm. Here we go again.

Victoria Beckham has owned up, in her autobiography, to having once come close to an eating disorder, and who could blame her, really, when the pop industry devours young women as voraciously and unforgivingly as the fashion business.

Myleene Klass, one of the winners of the first Pop Stars talent contest, who has always been a healthy size 12 to 14, told me recently that she was forced by her then record company to watch herself on video to see how fat she was, assigned a personal trainer, and told in no uncertain terms to become a size 8. As were all the members of All Saints.

Geri Halliwell, too, has been in and out of the Priory trying to cure her eating disorder; on another Marie Claire cover shoot, she stripped to her knickers in front of me and revealed the body of a pre-adolescent child; none of the clothes we had brought with us would fit her, she was so tiny.

Before that particular shoot took place, I had received a fax telling me what food would be allowed on set (brown rice, steamed vegetables), and when I went to fetch her a latte she asked me, over and over again, if the milk was less than 1 per cent fat.

And the nasty, pernicious thing about anorexia and bulimia is that — as I, as a former anorexic, know, and Geri Halliwell knows — an eating disorder never really goes away; it remains a weakness that, in times of stress or unhappiness, we tend to fall back on.

And I fear that might just be what is happening to Victoria.

Let's face it, having abandoned careers in recording and fashion design, image is all Victoria believes she has going for her at the moment — hence the French pedicures, the five-times-a-day outfit changes, the false eyelashes.

And when Victoria is placed in the unenviable position of being surrounded by women who are younger and (sometimes) prettier than she is, her obsession with how she looks is only going to get worse.

Above all — and for a moment forget the concave thighs and the emaciated arms — she looks desperately unhappy.

I happened to be staying in the same hotel in Paris, the Costes on Rue St Honore, as Victoria during the couture shows earlier this year, and as we stood in the lobby waiting to brave the snow and hail a taxi, she looked as if she was about to have her teeth pulled, not sit in the front row of Chanel at the Palais Royal.

Out shopping later that day, when I bumped into her in the painfully trendy boutique Collette, she was browsing for clothes for David and the boys. But she wasn’t with a girlfriend, chatting and giggling and enjoying herself, but was merely with minders and a personal assistant, looking lonely and bored.

Like most women, Victoria will have turned the hurt and the pain she felt when her husband reportedly cheated on her in on herself.

When my husband cheated on me (I found him out, Beckham style, by reading his text messages), I immediately blamed myself, thought that if only I was younger and more beautiful and better dressed and, above all, thinner, thinner thinner, then he wouldn't have felt the need to have sex with someone else.

After I threw my husband out on Christmas Eve, I lost a stone in six days. Eating disorders strike when you are at your most vulnerable.

Victoria is struggling to be the most beautiful footballer’s wife in the world, when she should be letting go, enjoying her money and her status (she, unlike so many of the WAGs, certainly earned hers in her own right), not worrying about carrying the right bag or posing in her Roberto Cavalli gown with one leg split to the thigh.

Of course, David Beckham is worried about his wife, but we former (recovering?) anorexics all know that when the people who love us the most tell us we are too thin, we always think we know better.

What matters to us is that voice in our head telling us we are not good enough. Victoria Beckham, the most pampered, preened woman in the world, looks like she is suffering from low self-esteem.

And that will never improve unless she removes herself from everything that is shallow and meaningless, and does something useful with her life.

My goodness, she has three sons, why on earth doesn't she concentrate on them? She is reportedly desperate to have another baby — the classic cure-all that many unhappy women cling on to — and I hope that if she ever has a little girl, she won’t let her fall prey to a disease that is debilitating, sometimes fatal and so hard to escape.

From The Daily Mail
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Default Re: Victoria Beckham: Obsessed with her image?

Poor Posh, she does look exceedingly thin.
    Interesting article, sympathetically written.

The biggest part of her is her piggy nose which never seems to slim/refine no matter how much weight she loses like other celeb noses apparantly did when they lost their puppy fat!

Bronze Member

What a shame.

Very interesting and well written article ...

KD
    Elite Member

She can't be the most beautiful footballer's wife as she is FUG, but there is a huge pressure to be thin. And she is THIN.

She 'came close to an eating disorder'? Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!

maaaan, now i'm having trouble mustering up the hate and disdain i felt towards her. damn well-written articles... >.<
    cry me a river, build me a bridge, and GET OVER IT.

I saw a picture of her & Beckham when they first met, she was sexy, she had J.Lo curves and a rounder face. She was hot. She looks nothing like that person now. I wonder if she can look at old pictures?

Dammit, I don't want sympathy. So what, she married an asshole for his status and money. Get some freakin help why don't you. At least your eating disorder (that many women have) doesn't make you FAT. I hate people who suffer from "low self esteem". I had that once....then I pulled my head OUT of my ass. See? All better.

It is actually terrible hard to overcome low self esteem. And unless you've really experienced it, you cannot even begin to imagine....

I read Victoria's book and the poor girl has always been obsessed with her looks. It stems from assholes calling her ugly in highschool. Some people can adopt the 'sticks and stones break my bones but words cant hurt me' philosophy but others are really affected by it and then they grow up and always feel ugly. Some people can really fuck up other peoples lives and they do it on purpose.

But I do think Victoria needs to eat because thats just not healthy and she could end up dead. But I can definetly see why she is the way she is; her looks and her 'ugliness' have always been her focus, which is bad, but alot of other girls have the same problem. You either get over it, or you're scarred forever.

And these are the kinds of people who get surgery and are never happy. Look at Victoria; fake breasts, fake hair, fake whatever else, and always has to look perfect. And she cant see that her body looks awful. I think shes abit 'sick' in the head, and that comes with the image obsession.

Good article. I don't like Victoria Beckham per se, but am very worried about her - she so obviously is sick and needs help. If you read her book, and read between the lines a bit, it's a very disturbing image of someone who does not like herself one iota. And *that* I can sympathise with...

I can't believe that her family and friends let her go on like this though... or maybe they don't? I firmly believe that David cheated on her because he was just fed up with trying to help her and being pushed away.

The bag she's carrying is bigger than her!

I feel terribly sorry for her. She has everything a person can dream of. A handsom husband, three beautiful kids, all the money she'll ever need and she is so unhappy. It's a real shame.

Boo frickety hoo.

She has all the money she'd need to get herself the best psychotherapy in the world.

Don't feel sorry for her one bit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information