Thread: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie donation - MIA

Thumbs down Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie donation - MIA

Namibia: Confusion About Hollywood Donation

New Era (Windhoek)

June 14, 2006
    Posted to the web June 14, 2006

Frederick Philander
    Windhoek

Staff at both State hospitals at Swakopmund and Walvis Bay confirmed to New Era that no money from the reported donation of U$315 000 has been received from super film stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as yet.

Since the announcement of the financial pledge two weeks ago, there has been some confusion among hospital staff and the Ministry of Health and Social Services.

"Only U$15 000 was given in cash to a Mondesa pre-school project and the rest of the donation will be used to purchase medical equipment in Namibia and the United States to be used at the two coastal State hospitals," said the Deputy Minister of Environment and Tourism, Leon Jooste, in clarifying any misconceptions about the pledge.

Film stars Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and their three children left Namibia on Friday evening after a private visit of two months in the country.

"I am expecting the stars to honour their pledge within the next month or so. In fact it was a low-keyed pledge for which I took their word on behalf of the Namibian Government and the nation.

On this, I am in constant telephonic contact with Angelina and Brad," said Jooste, presently on leave after a hectic period safeguarding the film stars' stay in the country.

The Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health and Social Services, Simwanza Simenda, yesterday by telephone confirmed that his ministry has neither received any cash donation or a letter of confirmation about the financial pledge from the stars nor from Jooste.

In Jooste's view their stay at the coast could have stimulated the local economy by at least N$3 million in hard cash.

"This amount I base on the fact that the stars could easily have spent N$1 million per month for accommodation alone on themselves, their children and their security staff, let alone the purchases in goods and jewelry, gifts and souvenirs they bought during the two months of their stay.

It won't be farfetched to say they could have spent at least N$3 million at the coast," Jooste said.

He confirmed that the mileage the Namibian tourism industry gained by Joli and Pitt's presence in the country is mammoth.

In the meantime, New Era reliably established that heart-throb George Clooney of ER and Oceans Eleven fame, was one of the colleague film stars who visited Angelina and Brad during their stay at Langstrand.

Relevant Links

Southern Africa
    Namibia
    United States, Canada and Africa
    Health and Medicine

In the meantime, a praise song to the stars' daughter, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, has been recorded by a Namibian female musician, Beaulah Kapepu, it was announced by a local music company, B-Music, at Otjiwarongo.

Apparently the song, Sholoh Nouvel, has been aired by several local radio stations such as the NBC's National Radio, Radio Kudu, Radio Energy and Radio 99.

"This single CD, Shiloh Nouvel, is due to be distributed in Namibia and South Africa," said Beaulah's manager, Elroy Diergaardt, in the press release.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200606140551.html

****I thought the statement they released back then was that they had already donated the money to the hospital. Liars Liars, pants on Fire****

Default Re: Brad PItt and Angelina Jolie Donation - MIA

We dont know the half of what really goes on.
    Behind every great man, there is a surprised woman.
    - - - Maryon Pearson

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Donation - MIA

Huh? Didn't they just have the kid and just sell the pics? I'm guessing the ink is barely dry on the check. Somehow I don't see Angelina shrinking from the donation...she's given enough away already.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    Huh? Didn't they just have the kid and just sell the pics? I'm guessing the ink is barely dry on the check. Somehow I don't see Angelina shrinking from the donation...she's given enough away already.
    I think you are confusing donations.

the 4million dollar donation from the pictures was to go to a charity, and as it stands today, there has been no word of which charity the money went to. I'm thnking the charity would have been donating to the CO$ for a private jet...

This donation was the first donation they made and released a statement about long before they gave birth. I mean the woman lied about giving 1/3 of her money to charity (I mean she does give, but is far less than that amount and I've seen the breakdowns), I wouldn't put it past her to lie about all this sh*t. Why does she always announce stuff like this anyways.

Nah, I'm not confused. I just don't see that it'll happen overnight. Give them time...they only just got back to the states and perhaps Getty hasn't put the money through yet. I really can't see them reniging on this one.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    Nah, I'm not confused. I just don't see that it'll happen overnight. Give them time...they only just got back to the states and perhaps Getty hasn't put the money through yet. I really can't see them reniging on this one.
    Like I said, you are still very confused my dear. This donation has got nothing to do with the Getty images. This is a seperate donation that was made by the Brangelina long before the birth of their daughter and long before we knew they made a deal with Getty. And if I remember correctly, they never mentioned that they had pledged the money, they made it sound like they had ALREADY donated the monies.

If I find a link, I'll post it.

Okay, my bad.....the donation was after the birth. and please note the choice of words.......they claim to have made the donation and had released a press statement to announce this to the public so that we in turn can continue rubbing their already bloated egos.

http://blog.biggeststars.com/archive...ngelina_d.html

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have donated $300,000 to help pay for new maternity equipment for hospitals in Namibia, where their daughter Shiloh was born. Brangelina’s cash boost will help treat babies at state hospitals in the Southern African country.
    "We want to contribute to Namibia and the people who have been so gracious to us at this time," the Hollywood couple say.
    The donation will "contribute significantly" to the health of Namibian babies, the country’s Deputy environment and tourism deputy minister Leon Jooste says.
    Jooste has revealed Brangelina will stay in the country "for some time" while they cover after the birth.
    The ‘Mr and Mrs Smith’ stars have also donated $15,000 to a school and community centre which they recently visited in the Namibian town of Swakopmund.
    The couple’s daughter, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, who was born this weekend, will be offered Namibian citizenship - it’s been revealed.

Eh, whatever. I've got to go and work on world peace.

--Sinclair Lewis

It's fine that a donation takes time, but why would they issue a press release saying they had donatED the money if they weren't even going to get around to it for a while? It's just another example to me that the PR means more to them than the actually charity.

Anytime they make a donation they call the paparazzi.

i hate brangelina as much as the next person, but c'mon, we're all just jealous cause they're filthy rich and they donate money and get attention for it...

OUCH!

truth hurts... *gently rubs where the truth bit her on the ass...*
    cry me a river, build me a bridge, and GET OVER IT.

Or, they did donate and some corrupt government official in Namibia is now making off with the loot.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

They ain't stupid to publicate the donation if they weren't intending to donate. As far as i am concerned, Angelina said they are working on practical terms for the donation instead of just donating it without knowing where it will go. Angelina made it in top 10 most generous celebs so i won't doubt her generosity.

Buttmuch regarding 'Shiloh's' photos, they made a pact with Getty Images. Getty Images took the sole right over the photos, so they sold it for the biggest bidders (apparently Time Inc.) and they money they got will be donated to charities preferred by Brad and Angelina. I guess they didn't recieve the money themselves so people won't doubt their intentions!

Thanks for the info, Karizma (and nice name). I didn't realize they were trying to direct where the money goes. Great idea considering that much of the money that's donated internationally ends up, as someone pointed out I think, in the hands on dictators, etc and never makes it to the people who need it. She's no dummy and is probably like everyone I know who's worked with international aid organizations: a bit disillusioned but open-eyed about justg how much of a difference she can make.

--Sinclair Lewis

^ Thank you

Gosh, you two are doing such a great job as Presidents of the Angelina Fan Club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information