Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessica Simpson snubs George Bush! First smart thing she's done!

Talking Jessica Simpson snubs George Bush! First smart thing she's done!

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Concerned about politicizing her favorite charity, singer-actress Jessica Simpson Wednesday turned down a invitation to meet with President Bush, a snub that left Republicans dismayed.

The apparent final word that Simpson would be a no-show at a major Republican fund-raiser with Bush and congressional leaders Thursday night came after a day of conflicting reports from her camp and organizers of the event.

The blond star of the film "The Dukes of Hazzard" still plans to visit Washington Thursday to lobby members of Congress on behalf of Operation Smile, a non-profit venture offering free plastic surgery for disadvantaged children overseas with facial deformities.

People close to Simpson said she declined a request to appear that same evening at the gala fund-raiser of the National Republican Congressional Committee -- even after she was offered some private face time with Bush -- because Operation Smile is a non-partisan group.

"It just feels wrong," one Simpson insider told Reuters Wednesday, adding that the actress keeps her political views private. "She would love to meet the president and talk about Operation Smile ... but she can't do it at a fund-raiser for the Republican Party."

NRCC spokesman Carl Forti said he was surprised at Simpson's position.

"It's never been a problem for Bono," he said, referring to the U2 rock star who has met regularly with political leaders of all stripes to promote various causes, including Third World debt relief. "I find it hard to believe she would pass up an opportunity to lobby the president on behalf of Operation Smile."

Although Simpson's publicists insisted she never had planned to attend the fund-raiser, Forti said the actress initially accepted the NRCC invitation when it was extended on Tuesday night, only to change her mind the next evening.

Forti said the Republican group had even arranged for Simpson to dine at one of the head tables with House Majority Leader John Boehner, an Ohio Republican. The NRCC hopes the $2,500-per-plate dinner event will raise $7.5 million for Republican candidates in the congressional midterm elections in November.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Jessica Simpsons snubs George Bush! First smart thing she's done!

Operation Smile, a non-profit venture offering free plastic surgery for disadvantaged children overseas with facial deformities.
    That sounds like an interesting charity. Never knew such a thing existed. Of course, Jess knows a thing or two about plastic surgery...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Yeah, its for hairlips and no-chins and the rest of the freakshows.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That's not nice.

SVZ

a bit too late on the bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Yeah, its for hairlips and no-chins and the rest of the freakshows.
    Yeah, that's kind of mean, pal. Are you so gorgeous you can make fun of people with birth defects? My little niece is blind in one eye and it is noticeably bigger than the other. I guess you would laugh at her, too. But then she does wear a corrective lens, so perhaps she would pass muster. Jerk.

SVZ

Default Re: Jessica Simpson snubs George Bush! First smart thing she's done!

despite the jessica tag, operation smile is a really great organization/project

depending on how things go, i'll hopefully be working with them. i'll be in the air-conditioned tent

Jessica Simpson did something smart, like, oh my GAWWW!

Seriously, good for her. And Operation Smile is a really great project, I agree...
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Interesting that she's distanced herself while Britney Dumbest has come out in support of Der Chimpenfurher.

Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks
    Yeah, that's kind of mean, pal. Are you so gorgeous you can make fun of people with birth defects? My little niece is blind in one eye and it is noticeably bigger than the other. I guess you would laugh at her, too. But then she does wear a corrective lens, so perhaps she would pass muster. Jerk.
    No, everyone has their birthmark or defect and I have my own. Doesn't stop me from giggling at funny looking people. Get over yourself and your niece.

p.s. I do believe that was a personal attack, and now I've just gone to pieces.

Having defects like everybody is NOT quite the same as being disabled.
    Nope.

Unless you were born having swallowed your own head.

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with people and say that this was a TERRIBLE thing to do. If you're supporting a charity you feel strongly about, why reject a meeting with the forking president, no matter how big an idiot he is? It would have gotten Operation Smile more attention; hell, a government grant, maybe. Dumb ho.
    2 years...

I don't think Jessica did this on purpose she was probbaly like, 'George who?'
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

You know I thought seriously about going to DC to hang around the Capital building to get an unflattering snap of Jess but figured she's not worth standing around outside in the cold to see from a distance as they rush her from limosine to building.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information