Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zatar ideas?

That sounds awesome abc, I wonder if its online somewhere.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It's in her cookbook Forever Summer. I have the book. I can type out the recipe for you when I get home, if you like.

Oooo, please please please! I've done some searching online and come up with some good substitutes, but I trust Nigella.

Actually of all the foodies, the only ones I will try almost anything they make is Nigella and the Contessa. The others are kinda hit or miss with me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    It's in her cookbook Forever Summer. I have the book. I can type out the recipe for you when I get home, if you like.
    I have that cookbook, too. It's one of my faves! Everything in it is wonderful.

Nigella's recipe is super-easy.

Simply put 125ml [1/2 cup] of olive oil - not extra virgin - in a large roasting pan. Add 8 meaty chicken pieces to the pan and smoosh them around to cover with oil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of za'atar over the chicken and rub the spice in well. Let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours [if made further ahead, put the pan in the fridge]. Preheat oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Put the pan in the oven and roast the chicken pieces for 45 minutes, or until cooked through. Sprinkle with salt before serving. Serves 4-6.

Zee

Is this an amber/paprika colored spice blend?
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Za'atar:

Red-coloured za'atar has sumac in it.

Zee

^^^^Thanks. I love this spice blend and never knew what it was called. I am going to make that chicken recipe.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Mmmmmmm. Thanks for the recipe! We should probably stick it in the recipes subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Mmmmmmm. Thanks for the recipe! We should probably stick it in the recipes subforum.
    I thought of that, but there isn't really much to it ... chicken, oil, and za'atar. It's hardly a recipe at all.

^Yes but those are the best kind.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    ^Yes but those are the best kind.
    Exactly, especially since it will only take about 5 minutes of my life to prepare.

this thread is making me sooooo hungry!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I have been adding zatar to spaghetti sauces and other tomato based sauces and it does really well..gives it a really different flavor. I also made a sauce with tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions, zatar, olive oil, and hot pepper flakes and it was great on pasta also.

I will try the chicken thing as soon as I get some chicken.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Soj, I prepared it last night, let it marinate all day in a ziploc, and cooked it tonight. It was indescribably delicious. My side dishes didn't go so well though. I think maybe some saffron rice would have been better. I'm going to do some more research on Turkish/greek cooking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information