Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Your worst restaurant experiences

My husband and his coworker went out to lunch last week to a mexican taco shop in san diego. My husband ordered some fish taco and his coworker ordered a carnita taco and was drinking an orange soda. About a 1/3 way into the carnita taco the coworker starts saying the taco doesn't taste like it did before and something was off. He has another bite and realizes that the meat is bad, says his stomach is churning and after a few minutes goes to bathroom. He comes out and his eyes are watering and he says he didn't throw up but feels like he needs fresh air. So my husband watches him walk outside and immediately start throwing up all over the front sidewalk near the entrance. Like projectile vomit that was orange from his soda. The taco shop refunded his money for the taco, but said he had to pay for his orange soda since he drank half of it!! What the hell! Needless to say they won't be going back there again.

Got food poisoning about 40 years ago from a very reputable Detroit-area restaurant (no longer in business) from eating a quite tasty piece of orange roughy. I couldn't believe the toilet kept up with me (and I spent the night at a friend's house in a swanky neighborhood; I felt bad for anyone else in the house who had to use the john that night). My friend's dad had to drive me home the next day with my friend following behind in my car. I have never been that sick with the flu.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I love how places try to offer you free food after you find something disgusting in your food. All I'd want to do is get the hell out of there forever - not eat more of their crap.

"burning buttonhole"
    Sleuth likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This thread is great for a diet.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I dont want to go into horrible service at places. Okay maybe one. But first, let me tell the tale of the ramen joint. So this new ramen joint opened up around where I lived and I had to check it out. I went with my mother, brother and sister and it seemed to be an okay joint. I ordered the chicken and it was brought to me in a huge bowl. I tasted the broth and man was it delicious. The noodles were clear, I assumed that's what fresh noodles are like. I figured this an entirely different ballgame from 'Oodles of Noodles'. Well Im loving this delicious concoction but then I hit the meat. It appears to be some sort of chicken breast with no seasoning whatsoever. If I had to hazard a guess Id say it was boiled, dropped in my bowl and then they added the broth and noodles. That isnt the worst part. I took a bite of the chicken and guess what I tasted. Bleach. Apparently its a well known fact that some restaurants actually buy chicken as its going bad and rub it down with bleach to kill the bacteria. Of course its illegal but hey, why not right? Meat is cheaper that way. That was at least four years ago. I never looked back.

Now for bad service. First time I went to this restaurant was on Valentines Day with my then-girlfriend. Service was amazing. Second time was an entirely different experience. We walked in and really, shouldve walked out from the gate. First off we were led to the bar, place was supposedly too crowded. We ordered some of the famous iced tea and got some glasses. Mess was watered down. Its supposed to be bottomless refills but guess who ran out? It took them forever to replace that. We ordered some appetizers, yeah, never saw them. I notice a table opened up behind me, the place is really a hole in the wall restaurant and the bar was literally a step from the seating area, but we didnt get that. Oh no. Waitress at the door immediately sits a man who walks in down. Im not an idiot. I noticed that mess instantaneously. Figures that shed end up our waitress. We ended up with the seat in back of us so we really just grabbed our stuff, took a step down and bam, were at our seats. We sit down, she takes forever to get to us. What is she doing? Why shes one table behind us, leaning on the hosts podium and flirting with that guy that she sat down before us! Wait? Well that man didnt have to wait! Maybe its because we were two people and he was only one. Nah, seats only seat two people. I dont trouble myself with it. I order anyway and look, heres our iced tea. Watered down. Wonderful. The lady basically ignores us and others take care of us even though shes our waitress. One time, however, she locked eyes with me. Apparently she noticed my staring at her and decided to come ask how we were doing. By then I had given up on the place. My entree came, I ordered chicken wings. Now you usually get four wings but these things are massive. I believe this is the time they tricked me and slid wing dings onto my plate. The macaroni and cheese had no flavor, only the burnt edges. The yams were the only good part of the meal but, they lacked enough juice so they were rather dry in spots. IIRC the cornbread took forever to get to our table and by then I didnt care. The waitress had the nerve to come up towards the end of the meal and tell us that the appetizer order never got put in and ask if we still wanted it. Not unless its free woman. The nice waitress from the first time walked by and recognized us. We told her how horrible the meal was, she apologized and offered us a free desert. I appreciated it and thanked her, taking it. That was the second to last time I went there. Last time was with my then-girlfriend and she paid. I think the deal was Id never step foot in there again and if I did Im not paying. Now the deal is that Im not stepping foot in there again unless the nice waitress is there. Well, my then-girlfriend has been there since my final time. Food is still horrible she said, nice waitress is nowhere to be found. In fact, IIRC, when we went back that last time we were told she left. Good. She was too good for the place. The other waitress, little Miss Flirt, who knows where she is? I hope she at least got that mans number that night because she lost out on a really good tip. Sadly, it appeared he ate for free, threw his napkin down and walked out. Stinks for her.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Bleach. Apparently its a well known fact that some restaurants actually buy chicken as its going bad and rub it down with bleach to kill the bacteria. Of course its illegal but hey, why not right? Meat is cheaper that way.
    i remember an expose on grocery stores a while ago doing this. also, don't buy meat/fish in marinade or with seasoning because they also use the older stuff because you can't see what the actual protein looks like under all of the seasonings.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i remember an expose on grocery stores a while ago doing this. also, don't buy meat/fish in marinade or with seasoning because they also use the older stuff because you can't see what the actual protein looks like under all of the seasonings.
    I'm not surprised about the marinated meat and fish. I've only ever bought marinated meat at Asian markets and I've never had a problem with that, but the stuff at the regular grocery store chains always looks repulsive to me.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Some bad experiences:

Vegetarian restaurant with my wife. I ordered the "mock fish". When it arrived at my table, it looked like a jello mold in the shape of a fish. It quivered like one, too. When I cut a piece and took a bite, it tasted kind of like one of those soft-plastic life preservers you wear on a boat. Or like those karate pads you wear to keep from breaking someone's face when you spar. I immediately broke into a sweat. I never return food, so I tried to keep eating bites, but it just got worse and worse. Finally, my wife and I just split her mock chicken, which was excellent.

On a date in college. We were at a seafood restaurant eating steak. The restaurant had given out these incredibly sh*tty knives to cut the steak with. Basically, butter knives. My date bore down so hard on her steak with the knife that when she moved the knife, the steak went flying off the table, knocking the salad off along with it. And no, I didn't get any that night.

LOL about the steak flying, though I guess it didn't work out so great for you, Mo. I remember we went to a Czech restaurant for a family birthday one year and we had all ordered big entrees like stuffed pork cutlets (those things were amazing - they had ham, peas, provolone, and cheese stuffed inside and then cooked like schnitzel) and places like that serve ten million side dishes - sauerkraut, gravy, dumplings, etc., all in separate dishes and bowls. The place was packed and we waited forever for our food and even though we had bread, we were getting pretty hungry. The server finally brought out this huge tray of food, he got about a foot from the table and it was like time stopped. We all just watched the tray tip almost imperceptibly and then every last item of food slid to the floor in slow motion. We felt so bad for the server we didn't complain or anything, but it was just tragic and comic to watch it happen.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    LOL about the steak flying, though I guess it didn't work out so great for you, Mo. I remember we went to a Czech restaurant for a family birthday one year and we had all ordered big entrees like stuffed pork cutlets (those things were amazing - they had ham, peas, provolone, and cheese stuffed inside and then cooked like schnitzel) and places like that serve ten million side dishes - sauerkraut, gravy, dumplings, etc., all in separate dishes and bowls. The place was packed and we waited forever for our food and even though we had bread, we were getting pretty hungry. The server finally brought out this huge tray of food, he got about a foot from the table and it was like time stopped. We all just watched the tray tip almost imperceptibly and then every last item of food slid to the floor in slow motion. We felt so bad for the server we didn't complain or anything, but it was just tragic and comic to watch it happen.
    Speaking of waiting for food, my SIL/BIL were stationed at a NATO base in Belgium or Germany years ago. They said that unlike American restaurants, a lot of European places start making your meal from scratch after you order it. As a result, you wait significantly longer for your food. I'm not sure exactly how true that is, but they said that it was really hard to eat at one of those restaurants and keep a lid on their small (impatient) kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    "burning buttonhole"
    LOL to that typo but I'm keepin it!
    sputnik likes this.

My sister, her friend and I were in Little Italy, in New York. We walked in the resturant, and it took forever for us to get seated. We looked at out menus, over and over, and the time was ticking. I'm not sure how long we waited, but I'm guessing 20-30 minutes.Then we started noticing people coming in, getting seated immediately, and their orders taken soon after they sat down.
    We left, went to Chinatown, and served us quick, and were very kind to us.
    Damn, it felt like I was in the south during the Martin Luther King day's.

Food poisining from Outback Steakhouse from a steak. I don't like red meat (only burgers), and steer far from steak. That was in 1996.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Food poisoning and really bad service where I walked out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information