Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your alcohol tolerance

A*O

Default Re: Your alcohol tolerance

Yeah - it's kinda given that at an Aussie party you are going to drink! But people are a lot more understanding about the drink/driving thing and so if you say you're the Designated Driver (even if you're not) they usually respect that. The other excuse is to say you're on medication but it irritates me that you have to think of excuses to explain why you are not drinking for whatever reason. I have a friend who's a recovering alcholic (3 years sober, yay!) and he just tells people he's an alkie and they are usually so shocked at his honesty they forget to pour him a beer. But there are still some morons out there who will say "oh go on, just a small one".
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    depends on what i drink.
    if i drink wine with food, i can drink and drink and drink and never get really 'drunk', just happy, and no hangover the next day. i've gone through more than a bottle like this.
    if i'm out, i can have maybe 3 or 4 small glasses of white wine and i'll be fine, or gin and tonic, or tequila shots. i'm fine as long as i stick to the same thing and as long as i avoid sugary drinks and cocktails (which i pretty much hate anyways, with the exception of pimm's royale on a hot summer day). it's sugary drinks that kill me, especially crap like wine coolers or those smirnoff ice things. i get a headache and nausea just from looking at them.
    Wine coolers = headache in a bottle. Avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Alcohol is FULL of calories.
    My tolerance is worryingly high and always has been. I can drink a LOT and although obviously I'm technically drunk I don't start falling over, throwing up or slurring etc. In order to test whether I drink because I enjoy it, or because I NEED it, I stopped drinking altogether about 3 months ago and was relieved to note that I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms or other signs that I was addicted. I miss the pleasure of a few glasses of wine (I avoid spirits anyway) but I've proved that I wasn't hooked and I'm sure my liver has enjoyed the break too. I don't even miss it now, although social situations are tricky when you're not drinking so I just use the "I'm the designated driver" ploy and people don't force the issue.
    A glass of white wine has about 75 calories. It's not exactly like eating a burger and fries! A few glasses a week isn't going to make anyone obese. The key is moderation, as in all things.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; August 7th, 2006 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

When I was young, I could drink like a sailor. Now, I'm toast after two glasses of wine. No tolerance whatsoever these days. Mr. butt says this makes me a cheap date.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Anything more than 3 is too much for me. Quite a change from a few years ago.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    Oh, boy, my tolerance for alcohol isn't that high. Maybe it's an Asian thing. I always get the "Asian Flush" after one beer! Hell, give me two or three glasses of wine and I'm under the table!
    I always said after 3-4 I was on the table, and after 5-6 and I was under it!!

I've never been drunk nor had a hangover ... one drink and I'm asleep on the couch.

It depends on how fast I drink it and how much I've eaten. Like others mentionned, it's downright impossible to get drunk while eating wine with food.

I shared a bottle of wine last night with a friend (no food), and woke up fresh as a daisy, and I've been known to be unaffected by as many as four drinks when I spread them out during the day. I'd say I need at least 4 drinks in a row to get properly sloshed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information