Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Yet another reason to NOT eat McDonald's

It's pretty easy to make your own nuggets from chicken breastuses.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^Agreed. Just crush up some cornflakes, dip some diced chicken into raw egg and then roll them in the cornflakes. Best kind of chicken nuggets.
    Eta: and fry them, of course

I do like the taste of McDonald's 'food', but I realize it is junkfood and therefor made primarily of JUNK. It's a guilty pleasure and should never be more than that.

I'm glad we don't have all those fast food chains you folks in the USA have. We have McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Maybe a Subway here and there but that doesn't count as junkfood. New York Pizza is another one. But that's it, i think. At least in my area.

Id think McDonalds, Burger King and KFC are the worst offenders TBH.

And on Subway, I know a nutritionist personally, she said that Subway is actually not bad for you. In fact, IIRC, it was founded by doctors.

My sis and I had our maybe twice a year McD's last week, and while we were eating, a commercial for TLC's "My 600lb Life" came on TV. Totally ruined it!

Around me, there are fast food places, but they're few and far between (or vice versa, I never get that right), it's mostly restaurants, mom-and-pop places, etc... I was shocked when I went to visit my family down south and every 5 feet there was a different fast food place. Really, that's ALL there was, it was just very different than what I was used to.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Id think McDonalds, Burger King and KFC are the worst offenders TBH.

And on Subway, I know a nutritionist personally, she said that Subway is actually not bad for you. In fact, IIRC, it was founded by doctors.

But there are several ingredients that are used in the USA, that are banned in the EU. So it still somewhat resembles actual food.

I ate at subwy twice, but both times the bread was dry, and there was way too mny vegetables on it and almost no meat. So I didn't like it very much.

^ And thats probably why its so good for you. Its much better when the bread is fresh but Ill admit theyre notorious for shoveling vegetables on and giving very little meat. Its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    ^^Agreed. Just crush up some cornflakes, dip some diced chicken into raw egg and then roll them in the cornflakes. Best kind of chicken nuggets.
    Eta: and fry them, of course

I do like the taste of McDonald's 'food', but I realize it is junkfood and therefor made primarily of JUNK. It's a guilty pleasure and should never be more than that.

I'm glad we don't have all those fast food chains you folks in the USA have. We have McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Maybe a Subway here and there but that doesn't count as junkfood. New York Pizza is another one. But that's it, i think. At least in my area.
    Where do you live?

I agree that McD's is not for every day.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Where do you live?

I agree that McD's is not for every day.
    I live in the Netherlands.

I'm not sure about the western part of the country, where Amsterdam is, but I'm pretty sure they have the same range of fast food chains the rest of the country has.

We do have other kinds of junk food though, which are equally as bad for you.

But I bet your frites are better than ours!!! I've had them in Belgium, complete with mayo!! I wanted ketchup, but they charged 1 Euro extra!!!

Jezi, what are the two items next to the frites on that plate?

But there are several ingredients that are used in the USA, that are banned in the EU. So it still somewhat resembles actual food.

I ate at subwy twice, but both times the bread was dry, and there was way too mny vegetables on it and almost no meat. So I didn't like it very much
    oh that's sad! I love subway & our have little notes about "if your trying to lose weight" & they have little hearts next to the stuff that ok for my early-heart-attack BIL.
    I think one if the reasons hat I like them is that you can load them up with yummy salad (I usually have all green salad in mine, cucumber, green peppers, jalapenos... Nom nom nom....)
    I only usually have filet o fish at mcd's as I'm not a big burger fan, but I had an Angus burger at Burger King before Xmas & I'm still dreaming about them...
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    But I bet your frites are better than ours!!! I've had them in Belgium, complete with mayo!! I wanted ketchup, but they charged 1 Euro extra!!!

Jezi, what are the two items next to the frites on that plate?
    Thing on the bottom is a 'kroket'

Croquette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Made of, uh... 'meat' and loaded with salt.

Thing on the right is what we call a frikandel speciaal, frikandel is a type of deep fried sausage (again, very salty) and it's cut open and there's mayo, ketchup and onions on it.

Frikandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This food is very popular here, but there aren't many people who eat it very often. You eat it once or maybe twice in a row and you've had enough for weeks. I usually feel dirty (as in, my body is having trouble processing all this sludge) after eating it but it tastes soooo good.

If the fries at McDonalds are an indication of what normal American fries are, then yes, ours are way better. We eat it with mayonaise too, but it's a special kind of mayonaise! Not the same kind you people put on your sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    dafuck is wawa?
    lurkur likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thing on the bottom is a 'kroket'

Croquette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Made of, uh... 'meat' and loaded with salt.
    I love croquetas. They are sold in the cuban restaurants here and are made with ham.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

McDonald’s confirms that it’s no longer using ‘pink slime’ chemical in hamburgers

By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 4 hrs ago

Ammonium hydroxide, image from KSDK TV

McDonald's announced last week that, as of last August, is has stopped using ammonium hydroxide in the production of its hamburgers. MSNBC reports that the chemical, used in fertilizers, household cleaners and even homemade explosives, was also used to prepare McDonalds' hamburger meat.
    And while the announcement is making headlines, you may (or may not) want to know about some other unusual chemicals being used in the production of some of our most-popular foods:
    The International Business Times lists some other questionable chemicals showing up in our foods:
    Propylene glycol: This chemical is very similar to ethylene glycol, a dangerous anti-freeze. This less-toxic cousin prevents products from becoming too solid. Some ice creams have this ingredient; otherwise you'd be eating ice.
    Carmine: Commonly found in red food coloring, this chemical comes from crushed cochineal, small red beetles that burrow into cacti. Husks of the beetle are ground up and forms the basis for red coloring found in foods ranging from cranberry juice to M&Ms.
    Shellac: Yes, this chemical used to finish wood products also gives some candies their sheen. It comes from the female Lac beetle.
    L-cycsteine: This common dough enhancer comes from hair, feathers, hooves and bristles.
    Lanolin (gum base): Next time you chew on gum, remember this. The goopiness of gum comes from lanolin, oils from sheep's wool that is also used for vitamin D3 supplements.
    Silicon dioxide: Nothing weird about eating sand, right? This anti-caking agent is found in many foods including shredded cheese and fast food chili.
    So, what moved McDonald's to make the change in their hamburger production? In a statement posted on its website, McDonald's senior director of quality systems Todd Bacon wrote:
    "At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers. This product has been out of our supply chain since August of last year. This decision was a result of our efforts to align our global standards for how we source beef around the world."
    The U.S. Agriculture Department classifies the chemical as "generally recognized as safe." McDonald's says they stopped using the chemical months ago and deny the move came after a public campaign against ammonium hydroxide by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver.
    You can watch video of Jamie Oliver showing the process of using ammonium hydroxide on meat here:

The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which allows McDonald's to use otherwise "inedible meat."
    On his show, Oliver said of the meat treatment: "Basically we're taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest form for dogs and making it 'fit' for humans."
    Even more disturbing, St. Louis-based dietician Sarah Prochaska told NBC affiliate KSDK that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the "component in a production procedure" by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.
    "It's a process, from what I understand, called 'mechanically separated meat' or 'meat product,'" Prochaska said. "The only way to avoid it would be to choose fresher products, cook your meat at home, cook more meals at home."

Source: McDonald
    Videos at the link.

So now we dont have to worry about that pink mess. But thing is, I thought that was the nuggets and the burgers were safe. You mean to tell me it was all of the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Videos at the link.

So now we dont have to worry about that pink mess. But thing is, I thought that was the nuggets and the burgers were safe. You mean to tell me it was all of the meat?
    Or, they're trying to fool us into thinking they're no longer using it, when it was never used in burgers at all. Just in the nuggets. They didn't say anything about nuggets...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information