Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Yet another reason to NOT eat McDonald's

I've eaten McNuggets for the last 35 years. If it were going to damage my health, I think I would have seen some indication by now. Now, if this were the main part of someone's diet, then maybe I could see a problem.

Seeing unprocessed McNuggets looks pretty much like someone making sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    ^ No, cant say that I do. Is that the problem?

Im talking about in fast food restaurants, even the ones you can buy at stores in the big bags. Very seldom do you get nice fresh meat. You always end up with that nasty gray squishy mess. What is the name of that ingredient so I know to avoid it from here on out?
    I think bitter summed up why I was asking...
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I got some chicken nuggets and meatballs from the dollar store once. Both were made by the same no-name manufacturer, and both had on their list of ingredients:

macerated chicken skin and/or feet.

I so stopped buying them.

But during my drunken party days, I'd stop at McDs and get some double cheeseburgers. I could eat one, leave the other one in the bag and eat it the next day. But hey, I was drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think they're poached.

I will eat anything at McDonald's. I love Le Bic Mac. The royale with cheese is okay. Love the fries when they are right out of the deep fryer. I could eat 10 chicken fajitas in one sitting. The McNuggets, when they are still hot, are basically little crispy, oleaginous medallions of joy. The McRib - love it.
    hold on! Isn't that Burger King? *has a pulp fiction moment*

Quote Originally Posted by kalirga View Post
    McDonald's cooks use a funnel type tool to prepare the eggs in water. Not quite poaching, but the effect is similar.

Chicken nuggets are formed these days from a paste, which is manufactured on an automated assembly line. Bones are stripped of all tissue material, which is then processed with ammonia, colored and flavored before being re-shaped into "nuggets."

Here is what processed chicken nugget material looks like before it is shaped. I cringe when I see parents feeding their kids chicken nuggets...this is what they are getting:

And that is also known in the trade as "mechanically recovered meat" or MRM... NVash, avoid MRM if you can afford to do so, that what goes grey & mushy...
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    RaceTrac > QuikTrip > Wawa > 7-Eleven

I thought Wawa was just a Philadelphia/Delaware thing, but I've seen them all over Maryland and Northern Virginia whenever I'm up that way. I thought Wawa was a goofy name until I heard about Kum N' Go up in the Midwest.
    Wawa means goose in some Native American language. That's what I heard when I moved to the area. That's why there is a goose on the label. It is a weird name though. But Kum N' Go would make me laugh. Wonder who thought of that.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    hold on! Isn't that Burger King? *has a pulp fiction moment*
    I think what happens is that Travolta's character says that, because they don't have the metric system in France, they have to rename the McDonald's "Quarter Pounder with cheese" to something else. So, they call it "Royale with Cheese". Which also leads to one of the film's memorable lines a little while later - "Check out the big brain on Brett!"

Ah!
    Jules: Hey kids! How you boys doin'?
    [to man laying on the couch]
    Jules: Hey, keep chillin'. You know who we are? We're associates of your business partner Marsellus Wallace. You do remember your business partner don't you? Let me take a wild guess here. You're Brett, right?
    Brett: Yeah.
    Jules: I thought so. You remember your business partner Marsellus Wallace, don't you, Brett?
    Brett: Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
    Jules: Good. Looks like me an Vincent caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
    Brett: Hamburgers.
    Jules: Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers?
    Brett: Ch-cheeseburgers.
    Jules: No, no no, where'd you get 'em? McDonalds? Wendy's? Jack in the Box? Where?
    Brett: Big Kahuna Burger.
    Jules: Big Kahuna Burger. That's that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
    Brett: They're good.
    Jules: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
    [Picks up burger and takes a bite]
    Jules: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?
    [Vincent shakes his head]
    Jules: Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
    Vincent: Ain't hungry.
    Jules: Well, if you like burgers give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because my girlfriend's a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?
    Brett: No.
    Jules: Tell 'em, Vincent.
    Vincent: A Royale with cheese.
    Jules: A Royale with cheese! You know why they call it that?
    Brett: Because of the metric system?
    Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You're a smart motherfucker. That's right. The metric system. What's in this?
    Brett: Sprite.
    Jules: Sprite, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
    Brett: Go right ahead.
    Jules: Ah, hit the spot.
    Free Charmed.

I think bitter summed up why I was asking...

And that is also known in the trade as "mechanically recovered meat" or MRM... NVash, avoid MRM if you can afford to do so, that what goes grey & mushy...
    That meat looks like strawberry ice cream...gross that it is meat.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Wawa means goose in some Native American language. That's what I heard when I moved to the area. That's why there is a goose on the label. It is a weird name though. But Kum N' Go would make me laugh. Wonder who thought of that.
    They are closing all of the Wawas in Center City. I loved their hoagies. 7-Eleven has suck-ass hoagies, but I do like their Jamaican meat pies.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'd laugh if I got my gas here, because I'm eternally 13 on the inside:

...and lest we forget, the venerable Pump N Munch:

They both sell t-shirts too!

Btw just saw on our local McD menu "quaterpounders" & as far as I'm aware the UK is in Europe.
    Free Charmed.

Btw just saw on our local McD menu "quaterpounders" & as far as I'm aware the UK is in Europe.
    So, you're not only leaving the Eurozone - you're going back to imperial units, too?

Just kidding....

I've eaten McNuggets for the last 35 years. If it were going to damage my health, I think I would have seen some indication by now. Now, if this were the main part of someone's diet, then maybe I could see a problem.
    Funny you should say that.

Chicken Nuggets: How Bad Are They?

By Lisa Collier Cool
    Jan 26, 2012

When the kids are wailing, the boss wasn’t happy with your presentation, and the kitchen is anything but pristine, what mom hasn’t thrown up her hands and given in to demands for chicken nuggets? Like, three times a week?

Maybe Mom should tell the kids: Be careful what you wish for.

Read about celebrities who dealt with eating disorders.

This week 17-year-old British factory worker Stacey Irvine was rushed to the hospital when she collapsed, struggling to breathe. During the exam, doctors were stunned to learn that Ms. Irvine had never in her life eaten fruit or vegetables; instead she had eaten almost nothing but fast-food chicken nuggets since she was two years old.

Her mother, Evonne Irvine, told reporters she had gone to great lengths to try to feed her daughter more nutritious food, at one point even trying to starve the girl, but it hadn’t worked. Stacey responded that, once she started eating nuggets, she “loved them so much they were all I would eat.”

Learn to grow your own fruits and vegetables.

What’s so bad about nuggets?

They would be bad enough if they were merely chunks of chicken that had been breaded and deep-fried in oil. One 2004 documentary describes McDonald's nuggets as chickens “stripped down to the bone, and then 'ground up’ into a chicken mash, then combined with a variety of stabilizers and preservatives, pressed into familiar shapes, breaded and deep fried, freeze dried, and then shipped to a McDonald’s near you.”

Actually, McDonalds switched to all white meat McNuggets in 2003, after a federal judge called the popular poultry bites “a McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook,” CNN reports. According to one report, chicken is only about 50 percent of a McNugget; the remainder is a mixture of corn-derived ingredients, sugars and synthetic substances.

According to McDonald’s website, McNuggets’ ingredients include dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone also used in cosmetics. Another additive is tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a preservative used in vegetable oils and animal fats. Contrary to a scary claim in the book, “A Consumer’s Guide to Food Additives” that’s been widely repeated in other books, including the bestseller, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” and on the Web, TBHQ is not a form of butane, a component of lighter fluid. In fact, TBHQ contains, in part, an arrangement of four carbon atoms called a “butyl,” as do many harmless foods, including butter.

If a four-piece serving of Chicken McNuggets carried a nutrition label, at first glance it wouldn’t seem too scary: 190 calories, 12 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fat. But consider that more than half of those calories (56 percent) are from fat—and protein accounts for a mere 19 percent. Add a whopping 360 mg sodium, and its image as “the more nutritious fast-food snack” fades.

Read about 15 surprisingly healthy fast food picks.

What’s the worst that can happen?

Aside from collapsing and gasping for air, as Stacey Irvine did? Doctors also discovered that the veins in Ms. Irvine’s tongue were swollen and she was diagnosed with anemia. Further, such a high salt intake can increase a person’s blood pressure (which ultimately can put them at risk for a stroke or heart attack).

McNuggets are low in nutrients everyone needs, such as calcium, fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and healthy fats, so a steady diet of nuggets means missing out on the health benefits of those ingredients.

Find out which vitamins you really need.

So what’s a parent to do?

If your kids are hooked on nuggets, experts offer these suggestions for steering them towards healthier eating:

Serve a variety of healthy foods at home to prevent “picky eater” habits from forming. Taking them grocery shopping, teaching them to find and choose foods, and involving them in meal planning tells them you want to prepare meals they will enjoy.
    Set realistic goals. If the child bristles at eating a side portion of veggies, make a game to get him to take one bite of the new-tasting food.
    Make your own chicken snacks at home, using healthy dipping sauces like marinara sauce, yogurt or mustard. If you must bread the nuggets, dip them in an egg, roll them in cornflake crumbs and bake, don’t fry.
    If you’re eating out, cut out half of the trans and saturated fat by ordering a grilled chicken sandwich instead of nuggets. Order for your child from the adult menu, or share your sandwich with her, so the nuggets issue doesn’t come up.
    Be consistent and firm, but encourage and praise the child every time she tries a new, healthier food. And be a good role model—don’t expect children to eat healthy when one or both parents snack on salty chips or fatty, processed foods.
    Keep healthy foods in the meal, even when you give in and allow your child to order nuggets. Serve it with a side salad, fruit, or a slice of whole-grain bread.
    Learn about the 7 superfoods you should be eating.

Editor's note: This post has been updated on January 30. Thanks to comments from readers and chemists, we've learned that the post misstated the protein content of Chicken McNuggets and described one of the ingredients inaccurately. Tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) is not "a form of butane."

Source: Chicken Nuggets: How Bad Are They? | Yahoo! Health
    Im sure I told this story before. When I was younger I used to eat McDonalds chicken nuggets every day for lunch. One day I bit into them and found a bone. Ive never eaten them since. Nowadays I prefer Chicken Selects but they deep fry them so hard you get more crunch than actual meat.

Stacey Irvine is like the Augustus Gloop of chicken McNuggets.

So, you're not only leaving the Eurozone - you're going back to imperial units, too?

Just kidding....
    Funnily enough, we still have loose veg & fruit priced as both, some places lable packed stuff too still.
    However the UK isn't in the Eurozone, we still use pounds sterling. Thank goodness. I think that last time "they" suggested we give the pound up we were on the verge of our 3rd civil war/revolt.
    Free Charmed.

Funnily enough, we still have loose veg & fruit priced as both, some places lable packed stuff too still.
    However the UK isn't in the Eurozone, we still use pounds sterling. Thank goodness. I think that last time "they" suggested we give the pound up we were on the verge of our 3rd civil war/revolt.
    Yikes. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Wawa means goose in some Native American language. That's what I heard when I moved to the area. That's why there is a goose on the label. It is a weird name though.
    Ojibwe. Wawa is a town in Northern Ontario... never heard of the burger joint or gas station or whatever.

McDonald's food is weird for me. I definitely have cravings for it at times, but even as I'm eating it, I never actually think it tastes good. It's not like, an hour later, I'll think, 'how gross', and regret it - even in the moment, it's just not any good. Yet I still crave it...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Yikes. Thanks for the correction.
    I wouldn't want you to come on a visit & only have Euros

I had to check whether it meant economic policies or just the actually Euro currency.....
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information