Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why You Want to Avoid Foie Gras

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Whay?! Maybe its where you live, I've never heard anyone bitching about a vegetarian unless they were on their ass.
    Maybe that's because you are not a vegetarian? Chances are I encounter it more often. Mind you, I have lived pretty much anywhere.

"Try this"

"No, thanks."

"Why won't you?"

"I don't eat meat."

"You don't??? Since when?"

"All my life"

"I never even knew that, you never bring it up."

"No, I don't."

"Well, you know, vegetables have feelings, too."

"Could be."

"And leather is made of animals, too."

"Which is why I don't wear it."

"And you know, everyone has to be happy with themselves. I mean, where would it stop. And besides, you drink milk. bla bla bla bla bla bla bla." (10 minute tangent about the pleasures of eating meat, social responsibility, eco footprints, etc.)

Lunch over. Maximun level of annoyance. Rinse. Repeat.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Maybe, but I've been around vegetarians quite a bit, namely my best friend (among others). The only person I ever heard bitching at her about being a veg was her dad, and he's a biologist and is concerned she's missing trace minerals. Its possible I don't hear it because I'm not a vegetarian, if I did I'm sure it would register with me because I'm pretty damn protective of my friends.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

my best friend's pescetarian and here in chile i'd say i have a handful of close friends who are vegetarian and the problem here isn't people asking questions - chileans will ask but not to encourage you to eat meat but because being veggie here is still something of a novelty so people are genuinely curious. the issue is that the food culture here is all about meat and seafood so it's really hard to find places to eat that have a good selection of dishes for vegetarians. there are a couple of vegetarian restaurants and a few 'normal' restaurants with a good selection for veggies (and not surprisingly, they're all owned by foreigners). a couple of my friends have started eating the occasional prawn when they don't have a choice, and also because a couple of them are diplomats and sometimes you just have to eat what you're served at parties because you don't want to be rude and make a fuss.

and chilly, i don't think anyone here was preaching, we were just joking around with the OP who was pushy and somewhat rude. we turned the thread around on her is all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Holy shit, try being a vegetarian in Texas. There is absolutely an attitude that if you don't eat meat (BBQ, for instance, is considered some kind of food of the gods), you must be a pussy. And god forbid you're a MAN who doesn't eat meat--you must be a commie, Birkenstock-wearing homasexshul! I'm pretty sure this mentality is prevalent in any kind of red-state area in the U.S.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Holy shit, try being a vegetarian in Texas. There is absolutely an attitude that if you don't eat meat (BBQ, for instance, is considered some kind of food of the gods), you must be a pussy. And god forbid you're a MAN who doesn't eat meat--you must be a commie, Birkenstock-wearing homasexshul! I'm pretty sure this mentality is prevalent in any kind of red-state area in the U.S.

Yep. Pretty much any environment that values conformity and ridicules independent thought will be heavy on the peer pressure and suspicious of anyone who does anything differently than the rest of the group. These are the kind of people who are very big on being 'traditional'....you just do what everybody else does and don't bother to think too hard about how a custom came about or why you continue to do it. Doing what everyone else does is all the reason you ever need, so don't hurt your brain trying to think too hard because you might need it to catch up on missed episodes of The Bachelor.

This goes not only for meat eating but just about any other 'normal' behavior you can think of inclusing changing your last name if you marry (if you're a woman, of course), being heterosexual, getting married and having kids whether you actually want to or not, going into the family business, etc. So I'm pretty bitter about how judgmental people can be, but I'm also sympathetic to people who get subjected to well meaning but offensive tirades from anti-smoking zealots, hard core environmentalists, and extreme animal rights advocates.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Halibut/crab thing looks sooo good.

And someone could make a fortune from a 'Bitch School' or some kind of continuing education 'bitch' classes-if it does not exist in real life/on the internet already.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Chilly, it's the judgmental, preachy attitude that I'm railing against, not vegetarians at all.

If you go back to the beginning of the thread it went like this:

-"List of Reasons Why You Want to Avoid Foie Gras"

-"But I love foie, it's delicious and I'm going to keep eating it"

-Some good points about how these particular food animals are raised inhumanely

-"It's still delicious and I still don't want to avoid foie gras"

then this gem
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know ppl that eat this will die a slow death of heart disease. Natures payback Yayayay!!
    is what made this whole thing go to hell. She got personal when it became apparent some meat lovers won't be convinced.

I don't even like foie but someone being all holier than thou about anything disgusts me far more than foie gras.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I really only see livestock at the fair, but I can say, they do not have the same emotions. TV and literature humanizes them, and would have us think that farm animals are Charlotte's Web. Not the case. there is not much thought process between, run, sit, eat, sleep, shit. They aren't doing trigonometry.

Life, by design, is about eating those below you on the food chain. Check any zoology class.

You can't convince me that free range chicken are any happier than chickens in a cage. Because chickens don't get happy.
    Yeah, this is the biggest load of crap ever.

"I see farm animals at the fair so I can accurately diagnose whether they have feelings or not from my 5 second viewing."

Really?

Let's not rely on any studies or trials or anything.. a glance in their direction does just as well.

*facepalm*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Chickens live next door to me and they get very excited to see me even though I don't feed them or anything. They're actually very social animals. Or maybe they know I'm eating their eggs.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and chilly, i don't think anyone here was preaching, we were just joking around with the OP who was pushy and somewhat rude. we turned the thread around on her is all.
    I know, I didn't really mean you guys. It's just something that annoys me IRL. That situation when you're at the table and people won't shut up about it, all the while calling ME preachy, when I didn't even bring it up - ugh. Frankly, I think it's because they are not as convinced as they claim to be, which is why it is so important to feel victorious in a conversation with me. While I don't even care what some fat slut from HR has for lunch.

I really don't mind actual interest. I have met people who don't know any vegetarians and they are actually kinda cute. But to hear the same shit over and over again by all sorts of people in all sorts of settings, fuck no.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Chickens live next door to me and they get very excited to see me even though I don't feed them or anything. They're actually very social animals. Or maybe they know I'm eating their eggs.
    Pigs are also very intelligent and can learn tricks and commands. They can bond with people and make good pets. Horses are farm animals,too. So are turkeys and bunnies and so on.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chickens are evil.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Like goat.
    -Bugdoll-

Aw goats are adorable!

But I hear they're delicious too, especially in a curry.

goats are adorable AND delicious... mmm...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information