Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why You Want to Avoid Foie Gras

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    You must be new here.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    just one more reason to love anthony bourdain. plus i think he's sexy as hell - he just looks like he'd be an amazing fuck.
    I think he's amazing. Anyone who eats warthog rectum roasted on a stone and would rather eat that than a McNugget, you gotta respect.

well, next time you're out of town, look for the best french restaurant around with good reviews for their foie gras and indulge.
    Thanks, I will. I'm guessing the goose liver I've gotten in tins in Christmas packages is not the real thing?

Ummm, its alright in a pinch, but its far from the real deal. Its kinda like the difference between crap olives packed in jars with brine, or real olives in the Mediterranean.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Is anybody as outraged about this as I am:

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Is anybody as outraged about this as I am:

Just because we can't hear the olives scream, does not mean that they(or other plants/plant products) do not feel pain!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Just because we can't hear the olives scream, does not mean that they(or other plants/plant products) do not feel pain!
    Exactly. If you look on the top left side of the photo, you can see that the poor little guy is so stuffed with blue cheese it's coming out his backside.....

see, that's mockery.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    see, that's mockery.
    Is this 'mockery' plant or animal..does it taste good?

Is it raised organically and free range without genetic tampering and (if it applies) is 'the mockery' slain in a fast and humane way?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Is this 'mockery' plant or animal..does it taste good?

Is it raised organically and free range without genetic tampering and (if it applies) is 'the mockery' slain in a fast and humane way?
    mockery, like sarcasm - is delicious. it's like ice cream masquerading as cheesecake! It's free range, organically grown ...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Mmm, mockery.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

This thread has made me hungry, dammit.

Y'all were baiting the vegetarian a bit, but her responses were completely out of line. Laughing it off would've been a wiser course of action, cuz you know, wishing heart disease on people will seldom convince them of the utter moral rightness of your crusade.

I love foie gras, but I haven't had it in years. It IS amazing. However....I get squicked out thinking about how it's made. I admit it. I'm an old softie, and I love critters. I can accept eating them, especially as I know many of them would loooove to eat my pudgy butt for dinner, but the cruelty of large-scale meat production is creepy to me. Anyone who's ever driven past the Harris Ranch stockyard on I-5 and seen hundreds of sad cows standing out there on a pile of bare dirt and steaming cow shit in the blazing valley sun, their ears and tails drooping, covered with flies, just waiting to die....will probably understand what I'm saying.

Yet I eat beef. I love it. I just make an effort to buy from small local producers whose practices I trust. I won't go near Harris Ranch beef. Screw them and their Cowschwitz.

My love and sympathy for many animals even inspired me to try vegetarianism for a couple of years. But I'm violently allergic to most nuts, cheese makes me fart, and soy makes me barf.....so I gave up. A girl needs protein! Ice cream alone doesn't quite do the trick.

Point is, I don't judge anyone else for eating whatever they please. Sputnik, ironically, when you went to that lady and bought her foie gras and geese, you were doing it the way I wish we all could--locally, sustainably, etc.

Lastly, while I'm on the subject of the sustainability of meat production, I'd just like to point out that the real problem with that probably has more to do with human overpopulation than anything else. *cough* But humans never want to talk about that.

*trots off to enjoy some beef enchiladas*
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^^^
    Cowschwitz. I must use that term very soon!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

So tonight my husband and his friend are going to a restaurant called Animal. I'm not going because they specialize in rich animal fatty foods that simply don't appeal to me but the place is incredibly popular here and sometimes hard to get a reservation. I think I will post pics of their food so you foie-lovers can drool some more.

that place looks amazing. i want to go.
    you should go! i'm sure there would be something you'd like on the menu.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, there's several things I'd probably like but they mostly eat family style and I'm definitely not eating everything they order. Plus it's expensive and I think it's kind of a waste to spend that kind of money and stick to gnocchi or veggies--it seems so against the spirit of the restaurant!

Hubby and friend have been there before and their favorites are the pork belly sliders, the bone marrow dish and of course their many variations on foie gras. Oh and the bacon chocolate crunch dessert is uniformly raved about. They described it all in detail to me and I just couldn't find it appetizing.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information