Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why walking out of restaurants should be encouraged

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ thats so true CW! I learned so much from working at a restaurant and in retail about people and their piggish disgusting nature and how some ppl just dont have manners/common decency and how you can't buy class etc. etc. etc...
    and also like you said, Managers at restaurants dont give a shit about their employees or really even their customers, they only care about the bottom line (what kind of business they do that day) so they can get their quarterly bonuses and promotions.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ thats so true CW! I learned so much from working at a restaurant and in retail about people and their piggish disgusting nature and how some ppl just dont have manners/common decency and how you can't buy class etc. etc. etc...
    and also like you said, Managers at restaurants dont give a shit about their employees or really even their customers, they only care about the bottom line (what kind of business they do that day) so they can get their quarterly bonuses and promotions.

It's so true and so sad. It's made me a more patient person. I appreciate anyone in the service industry. I hate it so I'm going back to college. Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    While I supported myself in college I worked as a waitress and I learned more than in class.

Anyway, if a waitress ignores me that's one thing, but usually it has other reasons.

Owners of bars and restaurants are eploiters by nature and usually the places are understaffed. If it's a busy night and you are working for three, it happened often that people walked out on me without paying. Guess who had to pay their bills? Me!

Oh, and even bad restaurants only put loogies in your food if your complaint is very unreasonable. at least from my xeperience. But if they do it, everyone's having a blast. You wouldn't believe the many snobby, sadistic people who only go out to dinner in order to torture some poor waitress. Especially, aging rich women.
    So very true. I work at a coffe shop/restaurant that keeps growing and growing. We are incredibly understaffed. I run around so much I almost faint. I smile and laugh and try my hardest. I feel bad for the people and honestly would not eat there at rush times. BUT, there are some mean ass people out there. They treat you like an idiot and are just in general ungrateful and rude. It usually is older ladies, unfortunately. Some people are really nice and it makes my day to make someone something they really enjoy and chat with them for a bit.

On the complaints and sending things back: They paid money for it, it should be fixed, and I believe in Karma. If they are bitchy about it, I do it while swearing quietly (I love the phrase c*ck-sucking Nazi Hooker). It's wrong to mess with someone's food and hard to keep a smile when they get belligerent, but I would think most people would be a little kinder to those who handle their drink and meals. The only thing I do to get back at customers is give them the blank stare or go extra slow in the preparation (as long as no one else is waiting). But guess what?? Today is my last day. I'm going back to college. I quit, and everyone else is following suit. Haha bitches! That'll teach 'em to appreciate a good employee.
    Last edited by Tati; August 31st, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

^^ Good for you!!!!!!! Congrats!

I admire people who can stay in that business longterm. Sometimes I see 50-year-old waitresses. These people are heros for not going beserk.

When I go out for dinner or drinks with friends and I can always tell who worked in service and who didn't. Those who count every cent when they tip and those who have that sense of entitlement that I know too well from working as a waitress are usually the ones who never had to work hard for their money.

I start the most anal arguments because of this and no, I will not give it a rest because we had such a fun night.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

NEVER send back food. If it is not good then do not eat/finish it, leave(paying or not but if you have eaten something you should pay for it IMO), etc. but do not send food back. There is too good of a chance of 'adulteration' of the food. Same with complaining. Save it for AFTER the meal or do not do it at all. If you must complain and food is still coming out/going to come out-then leave. Do not eat the food that is to come. I have seen the adulteration happen myself(yeah I did not do it myself but I saw it more than once and did nothing...*embarrassed*..yeah I was only a teenager but still...)

Same thing for raising hell in a restaurant that you frequent...and then continue to frequent..wtf? Your ass WILL be remembered. The very good tippers/nice people...and the complainers/assholes ARE the ones who do get remembered-not the other 95% of the diners. Again too much risk of retaliation.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

good for you girl!!!! Thats awesome! Do you know what you're going to study?!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    While I supported myself in college I worked as a waitress and I learned more than in class.

Anyway, if a waitress ignores me that's one thing, but usually it has other reasons.

Owners of bars and restaurants are eploiters by nature and usually the places are understaffed. If it's a busy night and you are working for three, it happened often that people walked out on me without paying. Guess who had to pay their bills? Me!

Oh, and even bad restaurants only put loogies in your food if your complaint is very unreasonable. at least from my xeperience. But if they do it, everyone's having a blast. You wouldn't believe the many snobby, sadistic people who only go out to dinner in order to torture some poor waitress. Especially, aging rich women.
    I agree completely. Although I have never been a waitress, I work extensively with the public. I know how feral they can be. When I deal with waiters, waitresses, and other people who deal with the public, I am always polite. I try and make their interaction with me as easy as possible.

I just got an amazing internship, so I will be leaving my public library days behind. I am so looking forward to not having to deal with rude, ungrateful, and unreasonable people.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I never send back food because I don't want to risk what they might do to it. If I don't like something, I just won't eat it. There have been a couple of times at Cracker Barrel where the vegetables tasted like the smell of a sweaty or dirty rag. I don't know how else to describe it. I wonder if they were using dirty pots and pans or something.

I've walked out of a Waffle House once because no one even acknowledged us. It was bizarre... the place was not crowded. The waiters were standing around talking to each other and no one came up to get our order, so after a while (I think it was 15-20 minutes) we got up and left.

Another time I went to a steakhouse with my parents and elderly grandparents. The waitress did not arrive to take our drink orders for over 30 minutes. When the manager walked by, my dad discretely said something to him about it. Within minutes, the waitress came over and rudely made a remark to my dad indicating that she didn't appreciate him talking to the manager. She then said something about how she couldn't wait for our party to leave. My dad was really offended and he told her he would not be talked to like that in front of his children and in-laws. We did not walk out because it was late and my grandparents were ready to eat. I believe the manager made her apologize, because the next time she came by the table she was overly attentive and friendly. My dad usually leaves an extremely high tip (20% or more), but he only left her 15%.

Your father was still very kind at 15%...

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    NEVER send back food. If it is not good then do not eat/finish it, leave(paying or not but if you have eaten something you should pay for it IMO), etc. but do not send food back. There is too good of a chance of 'adulteration' of the food. Same with complaining. Save it for AFTER the meal or do not do it at all. If you must complain and food is still coming out/going to come out-then leave. Do not eat the food that is to come. I have seen the adulteration happen myself(yeah I did not do it myself but I saw it more than once and did nothing...*embarrassed*..yeah I was only a teenager but still...)

Same thing for raising hell in a restaurant that you frequent...and then continue to frequent..wtf? Your ass WILL be remembered. The very good tippers/nice people...and the complainers/assholes ARE the ones who do get remembered-not the other 95% of the diners. Again too much risk of retaliation.

What if it was raw?

I ordered a stuffed pork chop once from a very a upscale local restaurant and it was completely raw inside and when I told the waiter he was like "well, what's wrong with it" - I told and showed him that it was RAW - he grabbed the plate spun around on his heel and left in a huff.

My plate returned AFTER all the other dinner plates on the table had been cleared (it was a large party of 8 or so).

I was really angy because I know the waiter was being spiteful because he smirked proudly when he returned and looked at me, the empty table and my very late dinner.

I bit my tongue but in fashion of negative word of mouth speech I have of course told everyone I know and their friends about it, with a full description of the waiter (LOL) and it usually makes for good conversation.

Had we not been part of a party and we were on our own I would have told them to keep the dinner and best not charge us for it but it would have been really rude to the host to make a scene at the time.

Other than that one experience I don't send back food because of the "treats" as well.
    Last edited by Tati; September 3rd, 2007 at 11:13 AM.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Your father was still very kind at 15%...

What if it was raw?

I ordered a stuffed pork chop once from a very a upscale local restaurant and it was completely raw inside and when I told the waiter he was like "well, what's wrong with it" - I told and showed him that it was RAW - he grabbed the plate spun around on his heel and left in a huff.

My plate returned AFTER all the other dinner plates on the table had been cleared (it was a large party of 8 or so).

I was really angy because I know the waiter was being spiteful because he smirked proudly when he returned and looked at me, the empty table and my very late dinner.

I bit my tongue but in fashion of negative word of mouth speech I have of course told everyone I know and their friends about it, with a full description of the waiter (LOL) and it usually makes for good conversation.

Had we not been part of a party and we were on our own I would have told them to keep the dinner and best not charge us for it but it would have been really rude to the host to make a scene at the time.

Other than that one experience I don't send back food because of the "treats" as well.
    No way would I have eaten it-especially with the attitude and all. I would have just made the best of it with the other diners or whatever. It is not your fault the food was bad and the waiter an ass-so I would not have though I was being rude or ruining anyone else's time by not eating it. And no doubt they probably dredged it over some filthy disgusting section of floor before they 'recooked' it...

Simply politely declining to eat it( a simple 'I lost my appetite' would suffice) is not being rude IMO -Waiter/asshole probably spat in it too..yuck. May have done even WORSE to it..YIKES~~~

LOL..just kidding about the food adulteration stuff..I am sure they did nothing to it..hehehe.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    No way would I have eaten it-especially with the attitude and all. I would have just made the best of it with the other diners or whatever. It is not your fault the food was bad and the waiter an ass-so I would not have though I was being rude or ruining anyone else's time by not eating it. And no doubt they probably dredged it over some filthy disgusting section of floor before they 'recooked' it...

Simply politely declining to eat it( a simple 'I lost my appetite' would suffice) is not being rude IMO -Waiter/asshole probably spat in it too..yuck.
    Ewwww, yeah, after getting that reaction from the waiter, there is NO way I would have eaten it. Hell no. I would have talked to the manager about the food, the waiter's attitude and made sure that meal was not on the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    NO way I would have eaten it. Hell no. I would have talked to the manager about the food, the waiter's attitude and made sure that meal was not on the bill.

Yes, you should not have eaten it and instead gotten up away from the table, told the hostess to find the manager, then tell him or her directly.
    I work part time in the restaurant biz and that's the smart move. Then again, it is tough to confront someone in the service industry who treats customers that badly.
    15% was too good of a tip to leave that jerk.
    I would have left him a dollar and told him to choke on it.

Gold Member

After reading this thread I'm nervous to think about all the things my mom has sent back in restaurants over the years. Always very politely and tipping well, but still.

god whenever we go out for a meal with my new mother--n law and sister-in-law you can guarantee that some part of the food order will go disasterously wrong. The best one recently was when we managed to get dinner for four free.
    It was a lovely old pub we used to go to that had come under new management and refurbished the place (ie-take out all the character and charm, and replace it with magnolia walls, wooden floorboards and what was supposed to be 'chic' surroundings. This pub is in the middle of the countryside and was not supposed to be or ever will be in any way 'chic')
    Anyway, us four girls trooped in (my future hubby was on his stag do so me, my sis, my MIL and SIL got together for dinner), went to the bar, asked for a menu and ordered drinks. We got the drinks, sat down and decided what we wanted to eat. We went to the bar a few minutes later to place our order only to be told the kitchen was closed for half an hour so they could catch up with orders. GRRR!
    They gave us menus just minutes before!! Why could they not have told us then!! If we'd have known that we'd have gone elsewhere.
    Still, we'd bought drinks and we were a few miles from anywhere else so we gave them the benefit of the doubt and placed an order. It must be good if the kitchens that busy!!

Well, we waited...

and waited.....

and waited.....

after 40 minutes we wandered up to the bar to ask, y'know, where's our food, it's been a while now??
    The kid on the bar went to check and said it'd only be 10 minutes.

So, we waited....

and waited....

My MIL got a bit pissed on wine..

we waited some more....

The food came out at 9.30pm. Bearing in mind we'd ordered at 8pm.

Eventually the food came out. My sister had a goat's cheese tart which would barely have sufficed as a starter, MIL a bowl of blatantly microwaved spaghetti. Can't remember what SIL had but it was utterly mediocre too.

Mine, well I'd ordered a cajun bbq chicken, thinking it'd be a nice salsa type sauce with some nice chicken and flavours going on. On the menu it came with cheese, and as a bride watching her figure I asked NO CHEESE. I don't think I need to tell you what was melting over the top of my dinner.
    We sent it back and about 15 minutes later I got the crappiest lukewarm,microwaved bit of chicken, covered in what was essentially bottled BBQ sauce, which had clearly just been pulled out the fridge. It was dissappointing and after a 1 hour 45 minute wait was just shocking. We pulled over the (clearly) harassed maitre de and explained just how poor the service had been and how bad the food was . He asked us what we wanted from him, and my by now very steaming MIL blurted out 'Not to pay!!!'

So we didn't. As this little exchange happened a couple who were just leaving overheard our conversation and piped in. They'd had to wait over an hour and a half too, why should they pay for their food?!? The poor bloke had to refund them too, and I'm sure more people followed suite.

We walked out of there laughing our heads off at my MIL's balls to just say what we were all thinking. She just said, If we hadn't have waited so long I wouldn't have got so bloody pissed!

I did feel bad for the guy who had to deal with all the crap, but having done 2 years in the kitchen & restaurant trade myself I know how it works, and it didn't work in that instance.

What a long post!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    god whenever we go out for a meal with my new mother--n law and sister-in-law you can guarantee that some part of the food order will go disasterously wrong. The best one recently was when we managed to get dinner for four free.
    It was a lovely old pub we used to go to that had come under new management and refurbished the place (ie-take out all the character and charm, and replace it with magnolia walls, wooden floorboards and what was supposed to be 'chic' surroundings. This pub is in the middle of the countryside and was not supposed to be or ever will be in any way 'chic')
    Anyway, us four girls trooped in (my future hubby was on his stag do so me, my sis, my MIL and SIL got together for dinner), went to the bar, asked for a menu and ordered drinks. We got the drinks, sat down and decided what we wanted to eat. We went to the bar a few minutes later to place our order only to be told the kitchen was closed for half an hour so they could catch up with orders. GRRR!
    They gave us menus just minutes before!! Why could they not have told us then!! If we'd have known that we'd have gone elsewhere.
    Still, we'd bought drinks and we were a few miles from anywhere else so we gave them the benefit of the doubt and placed an order. It must be good if the kitchens that busy!!

Well, we waited...

and waited.....

and waited.....

after 40 minutes we wandered up to the bar to ask, y'know, where's our food, it's been a while now??
    The kid on the bar went to check and said it'd only be 10 minutes.

So, we waited....

and waited....

My MIL got a bit pissed on wine..

we waited some more....

The food came out at 9.30pm. Bearing in mind we'd ordered at 8pm.

Eventually the food came out. My sister had a goat's cheese tart which would barely have sufficed as a starter, MIL a bowl of blatantly microwaved spaghetti. Can't remember what SIL had but it was utterly mediocre too.

Mine, well I'd ordered a cajun bbq chicken, thinking it'd be a nice salsa type sauce with some nice chicken and flavours going on. On the menu it came with cheese, and as a bride watching her figure I asked NO CHEESE. I don't think I need to tell you what was melting over the top of my dinner.
    We sent it back and about 15 minutes later I got the crappiest lukewarm,microwaved bit of chicken, covered in what was essentially bottled BBQ sauce, which had clearly just been pulled out the fridge. It was dissappointing and after a 1 hour 45 minute wait was just shocking. We pulled over the (clearly) harassed maitre de and explained just how poor the service had been and how bad the food was . He asked us what we wanted from him, and my by now very steaming MIL blurted out 'Not to pay!!!'

So we didn't. As this little exchange happened a couple who were just leaving overheard our conversation and piped in. They'd had to wait over an hour and a half too, why should they pay for their food?!? The poor bloke had to refund them too, and I'm sure more people followed suite.

We walked out of there laughing our heads off at my MIL's balls to just say what we were all thinking. She just said, If we hadn't have waited so long I wouldn't have got so bloody pissed!

I did feel bad for the guy who had to deal with all the crap, but having done 2 years in the kitchen & restaurant trade myself I know how it works, and it didn't work in that instance.

What a long post!!

You feel bad for the guy that had to deal with this crap? I have to ask...did you actually eat the second plate of chicken? Cuz if that was the way the service and food were with your initial entree...I am willing to bet alot of money that your second piece of chicken had seen the floor, or spit from the cook's mouth...or God forbid both! If you ate it.. or your guest ate theirs... I feel bad for you.

Never...ever... return your food when the food comes out looking like crap the first time... the second time is going to be a hellava lot worse - and on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    You feel bad for the guy that had to deal with this crap? I have to ask...did you actually eat the second plate of chicken? Cuz if that was the way the service and food were with your initial entree...I am willing to bet alot of money that your second piece of chicken had seen the floor, or spit from the cook's mouth...or God forbid both! If you ate it.. or your guest ate theirs... I feel bad for you.

Never...ever... return your food when the food comes out looking like crap the first time... the second time is going to be a hellava lot worse - and on purpose.
    lol. No I only ate a bit of it. As I said it was nasty! My other diners did not send their food back, so I don't think it was touched.

I don't know how bad the whole 'modifying' food thing is over here in the uk, certainly when I worked as a cook I never tampered with food that was sent back.

If somebody got sick from the tampered food it was very possible you could get shut down.

It's like Poland attempting to base its economy on vowels, or Portugal depending on glamour modelling.

i love this guy's writing but this phrase definitely takes the cake!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information