Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who's cooking Thanksgiving and what are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    ^^ My mom makes that every year. Tastes like shit, but she still insists on making it. It's usually the last of the leftovers, too.

Its true, green bean casserole sucks (though I make mine differently) but you MUST serve it on Thanksgiving, its tradition. Its kinda like the fruitcake phenomenon...nobody ever eats that shit, yet every year someone gifts you with one, and probably the same one that someone gifted to them the year prior. I'm convinced that only 10 fruitcakes have ever been made in the history of western civilization and that same ten keep getting passed around.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Then how the fuck did my grandma end up with at least four of those ten? I swear, she's had them for at least as long as I've been alive.

She's too classy to re-gift.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm making the cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, and pecan pie. Basically all my favorites.

My mother will do the bird, asparagus casserole, and gravy. We'll probably both make the fruit salad, because if I leave it to her she'll put a shitload of coconut in it.

I think I'm off the hook this year b/c I have to work, kinda sad about that though. I actually like being part of the prep for thanksgiving b/c we normally have 3 generations of women working in the kitchen together. My uncle will be smoking the turkey in their backyard. My aunt will be making the stuffing and rolls (usually homemade), my grandma makes sweet potatoes and kugel (which is Jew food and it wouldn't be a family holiday without it), and my mom is making green bean casserole and homemade cranberries. We'll also have the canned cranberries b/c that's all my uncle will eat, so he gets a whole can to himself. Dessert is by my uncle's parents, usually homemade pumpkin pie and pistachio cake that they make in advance.

It's usually such a crazy, cramped day with a few too many glasses of wine being poured while still cooking, but really fun and a favorite memory. I'm so happy my aunt is healthier this year and can participate.

I just have to say I LOVE green bean casserole. LOVE it. We all do-and have to put the onion rings over the whole top. Try it-you might like it! You notice just about all of us have it-all over the country. Has to be a reason!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I am going to my sister's here's what I am making
    apple/sausage stuffing
    squash casserole
    an appetizer, probably a hot dip
    applesauce, this I'm a little nervous about since the only applesauce I've ever made is for my daughter which is basically unseasoned apple puree
    dessert, no idea on this yet, any suggestions?
    Fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheWord View Post
    I am going to my sister's here's what I am making
    apple/sausage stuffing
    squash casserole
    an appetizer, probably a hot dip
    applesauce, this I'm a little nervous about since the only applesauce I've ever made is for my daughter which is basically unseasoned apple puree
    dessert, no idea on this yet, any suggestions?
    Pumpkin pie is the lowest in calories...although a fresh berry mix with whipped cream would also be in the running. Caramel cake cannot be beaten for taste-but don't even look at the calorie count!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Don't ya just wish that for once the guys did all the cooking and cleanup instead of sitting on their a--es. Giving out all martini's and margarita's to the girls with a smile.
    Yes, that would be wonderful!! The cleanup is what really pisses me off. I don't like cleaning up after other people. I think that everyone should wash their own plate, glass, silverware, etc. after the meal (especially in my family, which is large) so that you don't have one person who gets stuck cleaning up after 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I have to admit, the guys are fairly good at clearing the table and loading that dishwasher. Especially my FIL I've noticed over the years.

Absolutely not!

Actually, one thing I will fess up to is being a bit of a turkey nazi when it comes to how the remains are deboned. It drives me nuts to see a turkey thrown out with a shitload of meat still on it. But it's only because I'm thinking ahead of all the easy meals I can make for another week (or more if enough to freeze).
    ....I was raised properly...........I know that you save the turkey carcass for soup......mmmmmm......I like soup......with all kinds of leftovers.....

i'm another one who doesn't care for green bean casserole. canned "cream of..." soups kinda skeeve me out for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Oh Ang, institute the rule that whoever cooks DOES NOT clean up.
    i like doing this! it's usually what hubby & i do for dinner every night. it's nice to only have to do one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ....I was raised properly...........I know that you save the turkey carcass for soup......mmmmmm......I like soup......with all kinds of leftovers.....
    omg, so true! turkey noodle soup & cream of turkey soup are both delicious soups that i love to make after t'giving.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I am jealous of you all, the food sounds so good on thanksgiving (we don't celebrate it here).

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Yes, that would be wonderful!! The cleanup is what really pisses me off. I don't like cleaning up after other people. I think that everyone should wash their own plate, glass, silverware, etc. after the meal (especially in my family, which is large) so that you don't have one person who gets stuck cleaning up after 5 or 6.
    How lovely that would be, everyone cleaning their own spot and dish. Then we all go relax together or take a walk because I'm always comatose after a big meal.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ^^and ya'll would be behind us every step of the way, telling us how we are not doing it right!......
    .....fess up....you know I'm right.....
    Nope. I thoroughly enjoy someone else cooking for me and would never think of telling them how to do it. I'm not a very good cook, so I totally respect other people who can.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    i've noticed this at other people's thanksgivings (or other big dinners) that i've been to. we all clean up at our dinners...i find it extremely rude when men plop down in front of the tv & wait for the women to clean up everyone's mess, after the women made the meal. geesh, give a lady a break!
    Totally agree. It's worse at my house because I seem to be the only one helping. Everyone just seems to disappear when there is work to be done. I think I'll try that this year.

Never did like that greenbean casserole. I think my father is the only one that actually wants to get a fruit cake from someone. He absolutely loves it.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

We never have the greenbean casserole, which is fine by me. Squash casserole is what's yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I don't do the crowds thing either, so I try to shop on off hours. The idea of leaving the house for any purpose (except maybe to the liquor store) on Black Friday gives me hives.
    Meee too.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ahti View Post
    I am jealous of you all, the food sounds so good on thanksgiving (we don't celebrate it here).
    The food is Thanksgiving - we celebrate it in Canada in October - around the 10th because of the earlier harvest season, and I think my menu is a bit different than the American posters, turnip rather than squash, brussel sprouts, pan roasted potatoes, no sweet potatoes, pork pie for some reason, not so much emphasis on desserts (pumpkin cranberry cheesecake from Dufflet's is something I've added recently -delicious ). If it sounds English, my mom was from Jarrow and I think my dad (from Glace Bay) taught her about Thanksgiving - it looks like she adapted English Christmas. It's my favorite holiday - fairly non commerical, no presents, no dressing up, just a feast day. We don;t have enough of those.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information