Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who's cooking Thanksgiving and what are you making?

oooh, bunuelos! my mil makes those. i love them!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Since it's just me and the boyfriend, I'll roast a chicken instead of a turkey. We'll also have:

mashed potatoes
    stuffing
    gravy
    green bean casserole
    sweet potatoes with marshmallows
    rolls
    pumpkin pie

Yum

I'll also make some plain white rice for Josie and add some leftover chicken to it

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'll also make some plain white rice for Josie and add some leftover chicken to it
    Aww, can't leave those fur babies out! I always collect everybodys' leftovers and bring them home for my sweet darlings to feast on.

Josie is just precious, and I love her name.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    I usually just get stuck with making the gravy or something.

This year I am going to try and make a diet stuffing, though.. small amount, though, since my family thinks 'diet' and 'stuffing' in the same sentence is blasphemy.

My mom usually makes green bean casserole, turkey, stuffing, and some kind of vegetable side.

My aunt makes mashed potatoes. Another aunt makes artichoke dip. My uncle makes this awesome macaroni tomato thing with black olives and gobs of cheese. And my grandma is usually stuck with quiche, pie, yams/sweet potatoes, and some really awesome fried cinnamon sugar things called bunuelos.

Those look and sound like the Elephant Ears they sell at all the carnivals. Is it?
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Count is at 23 so far. Probably end up closer to 27-30 by the day of. LOL!

Making:
    Turkey
    Spiral ham with honey mustard sauce
    Mashed taters
    Giblet gravy
    Green bean casserole
    Sausage, apple and cranberry dressing
    Roasted asparagus with bernaise (if I can find the asparagus fresh)
    Salad with blue cheese, candied walnuts and balsamic vineagrette dressing
    Pistachio salad
    Fruit salad
    Potato rolls
    Pumpkin spice cake, strawberry cheese cake and chocolate cream pie

I love cooking for holidays! Hope everyone has a great turkey day!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I usually cook everything, but this year my MIL wants to do it. Then the other day I find out she's ordering a bunch of stuff from Kroger's! WTFF?! Talk about a cop out. Foul. But I zipped it like a good DIL. She's supposed to pick up the turkey and greenbean casserole and the one or two other things she's not making herself (I think she's only making the sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes) that morning. So who the fuck knows if this is gonna be worth a crap or not. I'm trying to be optimistic. People I know who have ordered a whole holiday dinner from Kroger's or Schnucks have assured me that it was good.

She did enlist my help with one dish. I'm making the cornbread dressing. Oh...and deviled eggs. I always make it with real chicken broth and/or turkey broth or drippings which is what makes a big difference. But since I'm not cooking the turkey I will probably roast a chicken for us in the next day or so for dinner and use that. I usually make giblet gravy when I make the turkey too. But I'm guessing that will come with the (partially) store-bought meal she's picking up?

It will be nice to just sit back and eat (at her house too) and not have to clean up and store a shitload of leftovers though. I think I'm gonna bring a bottle of wine and get comfortably toasted.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    ^^ Sounds good to me, January!

Aww cynic, you just need to bring your sweet self on down here and eat with us then. Everything's calorie-free at our Thanksgiving dinner!
    .....can I get a turkey wing?.....

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Join the party! At least you got invites, none of my coworkers ever invited me, and that's with them knowing my family lives out of town (and I'll be working on one of the days). Which is fine because I really don't like spending hours with people I don't know, I'd rather spend it myself and be happy, like playing video games!

I was thinking of some turkey dinner with trimmings from somewhere but decided I better go with my favorite KFC meal deal. But I'll buy it on Wednesday because as I remember it practically everything is closed on thursdays, even the fast food places.
    ....yeah, I will never again shop for groceries the day before Thanksgiving....my little seven item list takes me an hour to get through with all the carts and kids and everyone in the tri-state area at the grocery store....

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I have had a number of solo years - my daughter used to go to her dad's every year. But I loved it and still made the full meal (it's all about the leftovers anyway).

I'm cooking this year for my daughter and myself

Turkey (fresh from the Hutterite farm)
    Corbread/chestnut stuffing (I dropped the oysters this year, made the dressing too mushy)
    Mashed Taters
    Sweet Taters w/ balsamic
    Green Bean Casserole (I use the Cook's Illustrated recipe which makes it such an awesome dish - not quite as gloppy)
    Gravy
    Jellied cranberry - from the can only. This is not negotiable, you must have the plop from the can and be able to see the lines!!! There have been many debates about this among friends & family.
    Pot de Creme

I did most of my shopping today and finally got smart this year and put it on an Excel spreadsheet. Sure makes shopping easier when I figured out how to do a Pivot table to group all the categories together. I recommend if you make the same things every year.
    A) How old is the daughter?
    B) Pot de Creme?....does one smoke it?....
    C) Just kidding, it all sound delicious....

I've always cooked Thanksgiving since I was 15 or so, my mother absolutely canNOT cook, so I learned in self-defense. I thought it was just me and my boys this year, but my oldest invited his buddy and his family. A dad and three kids who don't have a mom, so I invited one of couple of people I didn't plan on having just so single dad doesn't get any ideas.

I cook the usual:

Turkey
    greens
    green bean casserole
    giblet gravy
    rolls
    candied yams
    cranberry sauce
    mashed potatoes
    homemade mac and cheese (I have a kid who hates potatoes)
    punkin pie with homemade whip cream
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Usually in my family, my stepmother does the majority of the cooking, but all of the girls help out while the guys watch football on tv.

We will have turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, homemade rolls, several pies, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, ambrosia, and probably a few other things.
    Don't ya just wish that for once the guys did all the cooking and cleanup instead of sitting on their a--es. Giving out all martini's and margarita's to the girls with a smile.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

^^and ya'll would be behind us every step of the way, telling us how we are not doing it right!......
    .....fess up....you know I'm right.....

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Don't ya just wish that for once the guys did all the cooking and cleanup instead of sitting on their a--es. Giving out all martini's and margarita's to the girls with a smile.
    i've noticed this at other people's thanksgivings (or other big dinners) that i've been to. we all clean up at our dinners...i find it extremely rude when men plop down in front of the tv & wait for the women to clean up everyone's mess, after the women made the meal. geesh, give a lady a break!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ....yeah, I will never again shop for groceries the day before Thanksgiving....my little seven item list takes me an hour to get through with all the carts and kids and everyone in the tri-state area at the grocery store....

A) How old is the daughter?
    B) Pot de Creme?....does one smoke it?....
    C) Just kidding, it all sound delicious....

A) Daughter is 13 and totally useless (she can walk through the kitchen, not touch a thing and every counter and surface is covered in crumbs. I get her back by mercilessly mocking her! After being dragged to see Twilight this weekend I spent the weekend telling her she's beautiful, like diamonds. One of the more cheesily delivered lines).
    B) A fine idea - it's a dense mousse-like chocolate custardy dessert. I get sugar shock just thinking about it, even though there's only a couple of tablespoons of sugar - I'm not sure it would light, but maybe I'll give it the old college try.
    C) Thank you. I love to cook (and eat), so it's fun to have some old favs.

I don't do the crowds thing either, so I try to shop on off hours. The idea of leaving the house for any purpose (except maybe to the liquor store) on Black Friday gives me hives.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    i've noticed this at other people's thanksgivings (or other big dinners) that i've been to. we all clean up at our dinners...i find it extremely rude when men plop down in front of the tv & wait for the women to clean up everyone's mess, after the women made the meal. geesh, give a lady a break!
    Oh Ang, institute the rule that whoever cooks DOES NOT clean up. It's family law in my house (except when it's just my daughter and me because I don't want her touching my cooking stuff). I once did a big birthday dinner for my mom and there were about 15 of us (mostly kids and grandparent aged). My aunt was cleaning up after and my uncle just kept saying, she shouldn't be in there doing that. I finally said, ummm, should it be your sister on her birthday or should it be me who bought and cooked the whole thing....oh wait, you're right, it should be you.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Aww, can't leave those fur babies out! I always collect everybodys' leftovers and bring them home for my sweet darlings to feast on.

Josie is just precious, and I love her name.
    Awww...thank you. She is a doll. I just love her to bits.

Mom went nuts and went out and bought turkeyzilla.. the damn thing weighs 27 lbs.... AND a ham... she already told me that she'll be up by 3 am to cook it all.

Lovely.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information