Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole Foods now in bed with Monsanto

Everything is about the money; most people will 100% sell out for the bottom line. Principles? Ethics? Pfffft. The temptation is too great.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    I always wondered, how does one know food is organic? I went to a grocery store and found all sorts of organic mess, organic milk, organic sugar, this is getting crazy. And the regular milk has a sticker that the farmers pledge to not use any sort of growth hormones in the milk. Whats the difference? Why would I pay $7 for a gallon as opposed to $4? How do I know its worth it? How do I know they arent just slapping an organic sticker on it even though it isnt?
    I am wondering about this too. There is "natural" and then there is "organic". To me, natural means the animal has been raised without hormones or antibiotics. Organic means the animal has only been fed organic grains that weren't treated with pesticides/herbicides. I don't know what to buy anymore. Is organic milk/dairy worth the price?

I drink Almond milk anyway, but the rest of my family drinks regular milk (though not a lot). I buy organic yogurt for my son's lunchbox as well.

'Natural' doesn't mean anything. It isn't indicative of a quality product. Potato chips can be 'natural'.

Whole Foods, that SLUT!!! Next thing you know, Whole Foods is going to be vacationing with Charlie Sheen.

In the US, there are no regulations on the word "natural". It can mean anything. "Organic" requires third party certification, and the criteria are actually rather strict.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    In the US, there are no regulations on the word "natural". It can mean anything. "Organic" requires third party certification, and the criteria are actually rather strict.
    Yes, but there are laws against false claims, right? So if my ground beef I buy at Harris Teeter is labeled natural and has a sticker on it that says there are no hormones or antibiotics in this meat, I should have the expectation that this is true.

I don't think organic certification covers hormones and antibiotics, does it? Isn't that reserved for pesticides/herbicides/insecticides/chemical fertilizer? So that makes more sense when you're talking about organic fruits and veggies. It loses some meaning when we're talking about meat, eggs, and dairy. In that case, does "organic" mean that the animal ate only grains that were not treated with chemicals? But was still injected with growth hormones or antibiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    Yes, but there are laws against false claims, right? So if my ground beef I buy at Harris Teeter is labeled natural and has a sticker on it that says there are no hormones or antibiotics in this meat, I should have the expectation that this is true.

I don't think organic certification covers hormones and antibiotics, does it? Isn't that reserved for pesticides/herbicides/insecticides/chemical fertilizer? So that makes more sense when you're talking about organic fruits and veggies. It loses some meaning when we're talking about meat, eggs, and dairy. In that case, does "organic" mean that the animal ate only grains that were not treated with chemicals? But was still injected with growth hormones or antibiotics?
    I couldn't say with certainty, but that sounds like it could be right. I'm honestly not sure if Organic implies no hormones/antibiotics or not.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information