Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When lobster was spam: 5 gourmet foods that used to be cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Mmm, I love everything on this list. I don't eat foie gras anymore, but I did once before I really knew what it was.
    I feel so cheated; I never got the chance to try it. And now it is illegal in my state of PA.

A*O

If you want to try truffles without bankrupting yourself you can get truffle infused oil in good delis. It's not quite the same but a small splash on most things give it a truffle aroma and hint of a taste.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Truffles made me think of The Name of the Rose and the play on words about pigs looking for the devil (der Teufel). I've had them with pasta but I'm not too crazy for them.

In the list the only thing I don't think I've ever had is oysters. I honestly can't remember having ever tried them. I don't mind that they look and probably feel like snot, I don't mind gross things, I've just never gotten a chance to try them, really.

I adore lobster but I feel horrible about cooking it alive and as for foie gras, I've only had it a couple of times and I don't like it enough to get past the ethical dilemma of how it's produced.
    And I could live on sushi! There's a place in Athens that has an all you can eat buffet every Sunday and they know me by name there

Bleurgh, this thread is making me hungry and I've only had a mango (first time ever!) and a tiny ice cream today.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you want to try truffles without bankrupting yourself you can get truffle infused oil in good delis. It's not quite the same but a small splash on most things give it a truffle aroma and hint of a taste.
    exactly...and I bought my awesome grey truffle salt on clearance at TJMAXX. for maybe $3-4? It is surprisingly high quality and a little goes a long, long way.

as far as cooking lobsters alive, just stick the live lobster in the freezer for a short bit first! the cold puts them in a painless coma, then you just drop them in the pot. I usually make someone else cook and crack the lobster though...I just want to work with the meat
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

They make a lot of less expensive truffle products.. paste, butter, juice for stocks, oils, even cheeses. Seriously, if you've never tried it you should soon.. the flavor is amaaaazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    They make a lot of less expensive truffle products.. paste, butter, juice for stocks, oils, even cheeses. Seriously, if you've never tried it you should soon.. the flavor is amaaaazing.
    Truffle infused cheese excites me much more than it ought to

This thread is the work of the devil.....I'm off to scoff a kitkat...

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Truffle infused cheese excites me much more than it ought to

This thread is the work of the devil.....I'm off to scoff a kitkat...

haha, take a good look after you bite into it...jesus just might be looking back at you!
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Zee

Will look for the truffle salt at the store. It sounds interesting. Used to go to a restaurant that would make risoto and grate the truffle at the table before serving. Delicious.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I've always been so curious about truffles too. What kind of flavour does it have? I imagine it to be sweet? But maybe because I think of the other kind of truffles.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    I've always been so curious about truffles too. What kind of flavour does it have? I imagine it to be sweet? But maybe because I think of the other kind of truffles.
    The taste is usually described as "earthy" and "meaty".

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Yea I've always wondered too, when I see them shave it on t.v., it looks like chocolate shavings. But curious about all the hype surrounding it.

um, it's hard to describe the taste. they just taste like truffles. sounds stupid, i know. but before i tried them, people would describe what they tasted like - earthy, meaty, strong flavour, etc... but nothing i imagined even came close to what they actually taste like.
    basically, they taste like nothing else and you have to try them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't do fancy food. Ever.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

i like food that tastes good, whether it's fancy, cheap or in-between.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Fancy food usually includes dead or rotten things - lots of pretentious bs. Not my cup of tea. I think I said before, the only fancy food I like is Crème Brulée (sp?).
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information