Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: What are you eating right now, Part II

It would taste better if it were less salty. That was my biggest problem with both marmite and vegemite. I just looked it up, and apparently vegemite is pretty high in sodium. And the taste is umami - which is the relatively newly discovered fifth type of taste. Very interesting.

The other thing I read recently was that marmite/vegemite originated as a way of getting rid of the solids that were left over from the beer brewing process.

Meh, I'm not falling for that umami hype. All it means is savory, which was already a word so there was no need to make up a new one.

My boss took me to a new gourmet street taco place here. It was really good, particularly the seared ahi.

http://www.dossantosdenver.com/asset...antos-menu.pdf

But I still prefer this other place called Pinche that we discovered a couple months ago. They're always tossing together new stuff daily made of whatever is fresh in the markets that day. I had a pork belly taco with a cilantro and apple slaw that was to DIE for. Its so hard to get a parking spot and a seat in here.

Menu « TACOS €“ TEQUILA €“ WHISKEY DENVER, COLORADO

These little gourmet street taco cafes are popping up all over here and I love it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It would taste better if it were less salty. That was my biggest problem with both marmite and vegemite. I just looked it up, and apparently vegemite is pretty high in sodium. And the taste is umami - which is the relatively newly discovered fifth type of taste. Very interesting.

The other thing I read recently was that marmite/vegemite originated as a way of getting rid of the solids that were left over from the beer brewing process.
    yup. it's super salty. that's why you spread it super super thin over buttered toast. like super super thin. a little goes a long way.

this guy did a side-by-side comparison of all 3. of course he's a brit so he's biased in favour of marmite but cenovis is clearly superior.
    btw, i use even less than what's pictured below:

Marmite, Vegemite, and...Cenovis? A tale of salty yeast spreads

Since it was reported a couple of weeks ago (erroneously, as it turns out) that Vegemite was a banned substance in the U.S., there's been renewed interest in the mysterious black spread from Australia, and its bitter rival in the yeast-extract world from the UK, Marmite.
    But, did you know that Switzerland, the otherwise sane land of beautiful mountains and secretive banks, has its own black, viscous, salty yeast spread? Yes it does, and its name is Cenovis.

As you can see, Cenovis comes in a fairly straightforward jar (made of plastic), or in a tube. You may think it's funny that a spread should come in a toothpaste-like tube, but in Switzerland a lot of food products come in such tubes - mayonnaise, tomato paste, fish paste, dog food. (Okay, not dog food.)

Like its more famous counterparts, Cenovis is a by-product of the beer brewing process. The ingredient list says that it is fortified with Vitamin B1 (Thiamin), though I am fairly sure that the nutritional makeup of all three yeast spreads is quite similar. Unlike the Kraft-owned Vegemite or the Unilever-owned Marmite, Cenovis is still made by a company called, quaintly,Cenovis S.A., based in Geneva. Their web site says that Cenovis used to be included in Swiss Army rations. Since they are beer brewing by-products, they are all vegetable based. (Bovril, a similar product, is traditionally made of beef extract so is not included here.)
    A side-by-side yeasty comparison

Marmite, Vegemite, and Cenovis are all quite similar yet distinctly different. Since I had on hand jars of all three products (Vegemite and Marmite were procured last week in England; Marmite is available in Switzerland in some department store food halls, but I've never seen Vegemite), I decided to do a simple comparison.
    Following are my findings on this weighty matter.
    The packaging

Both Vegemite and Cenovis come in fairly plain, straight jars (or in toothpaste tubes for Cenovis, as noted above). Cenovis does have a nice Swiss-theme paper cutout kind of design on it.
    But in terms of packaging, the Marmite jar wins hands down. Made of brown glass, it is nicely rounded. The logo font is curved to fit, and there's a cartoonish pot marked Marmite, in reference to the French meaning of the word (pot). (Marmite is in fact named after its container.) It's a timeless, classic and lovable design.

The appearance

All three are dark brown-black, but Vegemite is slightly darker in color than the other two. It's also the least sticky one - the consistency is sort of like that of a fruit butter. It is opaque and matte, not shiny.

Marmite is the most sticky and viscous one - the consistency is like that of a toffee syrup, and very shiny.

Cenovis is somewhere in between - shiny and slightly sticky, but not as viscous as Marmite.

The taste

But the most important test is taste. The standard way to eat these spreads is to put them on bread, toast or a plain cracker with butter, so that's how they were consumed. (I was out of toast bread.)

N00bs People who have not grown up with any of these yeast spreads may have heard fearful stories of how disgusting they are and such. The most common problem with yeast spread neophytes is spreading way too much of it on. If you spread it on as thickly as you might a jam, you are headed towards disaster, horror, and a lifelong loathing of anything dark and viscous.
    The difficult thing though is that the amount of spread to use differs from spread to spread. From my tests, the optimum amount of Marmite (M) per 1 teaspoon of butter (B) is 1/8th of a teaspoon, or a 1:8 M:B ratio. Vegemite (V) on the other hand is less salty and less intense in flavor, so you can go up to 1/4 teaspoon, or a 1:4 V:B ratio. Cenovis (C) comes somewhere in between, but is closer to Marmite in saltiness, so the 1:8 C:B ratio works well. You can make the argument that Marmite and Cenovis are more economical in this case.
    In terms of flavor, Marmite is the strongest, with a sort of 'meaty' taste. Cenovis shows its brewing roots more, with a beer-ish undertone. Vegemite has a very slight fishy taste to me, plus the taste of dessicated onion flakes.
    So the winner is...

Well I must admit to a bias towards Marmite, since I spent some childhood years in England consuming marmite-and-butter-sandwiches for tea. However I must say that Cenovis is surprisingly tasty, and has an adult air to it due to that beer undertone. Its only drawback is that as far as I know, it's not available outside of Switzerland. Swiss expatriates do not seem to have as strong an emotional attachment to yeast spread as Brit and Aussie expats do.
    My least favorite by far is Vegemite. This may get me banned for life from ever entering the great nation of Australia. The fishy-oniony undertone just doesn't do it for me at all, I'm afraid. One day though I look forward to trying the Vegemite alternatives said to be available in Australia, such as Aussie-mite and Mightymite. All in the name of research.

Submitted by maki on 2006-11-10 13:45.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wow, I loved that article. I had Marmite in 2001, right before I went on a trip to Australia to present an engineering paper. Marmite had kind of a glassy appearance. A Filipine coworker brought it in, and I tried some with her and a British coworker. We didn't have toast, so they dipped beef jerky in the Marmite jar. It was awful, but in retrospect, that's like the worst combo you could come up with for this spread.

When I had vegemite in Australia - it looked almost like Nutella and had was not shiny like marmite. I thought it kind of tasted like pureed anchovies - salty and fishy. The ironic part was that I was sitting at a conference table and the little tubs of vegemite were complimentary, and we did have toast. However, there was nobody around to tell you to not put so damn much vegemite on your toast - because everyone else at the table was from some other country besides Australia, and they were just as confused as me.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    We didn't have toast, so they dipped beef jerky in the Marmite jar.

holy shit, that's nasty.
    go out and buy a jar of marmite (not vegemite, it's gross and tastes like fish and dried onions) and spread it verrrrrry thinly on some yummy crusty toasted bread with lots of melted butter. once you've mastered that you can move on to toast with avocado and marmite, also delicious.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

holy shit, that's nasty.
    go out and buy a jar of marmite (not vegemite, it's gross and tastes like fish and dried onions) and spread it verrrrrry thinly on some yummy crusty toasted bread with lots of melted butter. once you've mastered that you can move on to toast with avocado and marmite, also delicious.
    Where can you get marmite - like Whole Foods? I've bought brewer's years in kind of a powdered form at a health food store - and LOVED it. I was putting it in soups and on spaghetti.

i don't know about whole foods but i've seen it lots of places. pretty much any supermarket with a well stocked international section will have it. and if not, amazon.

I'm eating these amazing pastries from a Russian bakery. So stinkin' good. One is an apple cinnamon roll and the other is a beef cheese piroshki. We also picked up a cinnamon cardamom one and a chicken, mushroom, and rice one.

Chocolate turtle pie.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Churrasco and garlic mashed potatos.

fgg

wild berry skittles
    greysfang likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Oh man, now I want skittles. I love them.

I tried vegemite at a hotel in Perth in my Navy days. Once was enough.
    greysfang and MohandasKGanja like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Some homemade soup and rice from our deep freeze - it has the date on it (10/2014). So far, I feel pretty goo.....[thud]

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Oh man, now I want skittles. I love them.

You just want everybody's candy. Run down to the vending machine and get you something. Or limp slowly, as the case may be.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information