Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What is NOT for dinner tonight: 'Foods' you would NEVER eat!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I used to love liver and onions, but there's no way I'd touch it now - too full of hormones and antibiotics. Even the organic makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Oh, and warm drinks like soda or something that should be chilled or iced and it's given to me room tempature. If there's no ice, I won't drink it.
    While learning to speak French & Italian from native speakers, it was pointed out multiple times that this cold drink/ice thing was an American peculiarity. Boy, do we looooove our sodas with lots of ice. I was warned repeatedly that, if I go to Europe, I would get no ice in my Coke. And if I asked for some, I would get a *look* & then get about 1 cube of ice.

We have worldly people here.. is this true?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hot dogs. *barf* We stopped at a restaurant tonight named Sandy's so my kiddo could get some ice-cream and the smell of the hot dogs made me gag.

Elite Member

Lobelia:

Yes, most countries do serve drinks lukewarm or room temperature. In France, I remember everyone slapping on cheese, butter or olive oil on bread and that was dinner. You didn't really re-heat food. Nonetheless, I admit that I still like my drinks COLD and my food hot. I even like my water chilled.

Everything's pretty much served room temperature in Mexico, Spain and Italy. I would think it's like this in most countries. But, I still prefer my food really hot when it's served to me and my drinks cold with ice. I guess that's the spoiled American in me. We can nuke our food and put ice cubes in our drinks anytime we want.

At my grandmother's house, the frijoles, tortillas, rice, chorizo, etc.....were cooked and then left there. They were always on the stove burner and people would serve themselves all day. You didn't microwave the food, you ate it as it was (room temperature). So I'm used to it, but I don't exactly prefer my food that way now as an adult.

Wow. Funny what we take for granted.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

Oh, one thing I wouldn't eat now is snake meat. That's something I wouldn't even consider. I don't know why because I'm not particularly scared of snakes, but I don't think it would taste good. But I know a lot of hispanics who do like eating it.

McJag, you're funny! You had to grow up in my family. You're speaking to the girl who had a grandfather and uncles who thought nothing of eating the maguey worm from the Tequila bottles and killed the chickens in the backyard to slap on the dinner table later on...lol.

I think we're so far removed from the actual food we eat and we let others prepare it for us that now we as a society think everything is gross. The food chain doesn't exist for nothing...lol

Maguey worm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicharrones (pork rinds) are soooo good too.

Chicharrones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plaintains (maduros, tostones, mofongo, etc...) are delicious. Those are fried bananas... and yuca with tons of butter. I believe in English it's called Cassava root. I'd die and go to heaven if someone gave me some of that now. There are so many good foods in all parts of the world....for the most part I'd try anything once.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; March 31st, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

^^ Those fried bananas are divine. With just a sprinkling of sugar.mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    While learning to speak French & Italian from native speakers, it was pointed out multiple times that this cold drink/ice thing was an American peculiarity. Boy, do we looooove our sodas with lots of ice. I was warned repeatedly that, if I go to Europe, I would get no ice in my Coke. And if I asked for some, I would get a *look* & then get about 1 cube of ice.

yeah pretty much. i've lived i europe since i was 11 and i still can't get used to drinking coke at room temperature. i rarely drink it but when i do i like to fill up a whole glass with ice cubes and drink it so cold my teeth hurt. whenever i order coke here i always have to ask first if they have ice (some places don't) and ask for a lot of it... but it's the only thing i drink that cold. i like my water room temperature and while i love that when i'm in the states they give me plenty of ice with my coke, i hate the chilled ice water you get in all the restaurants and always have to ask for room temperature even though it makes me feel like a bitch asking for special requests.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

For those of you who are scared of hot dogs (and rightfully so!) I finally found one brand that is safe: Hebrew Nation. Try 'em-especially if you have kids! The motto is "we answer to a higher power"lol. and 95 calories. And clean!!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ That's pretty much the rule for any kosher food. The laws are so much stricter that you can pretty much guarantee that kosher foods are far safer or cleaner to eat. Best Kosher makes a good beef hot dog as well and either Hebrew National or Best Kosher makes a like 98% fat free hot dog that is FANTASTIC. The flavor of the kosher ones are much better, far more garlic in them than the regular unidentifiable hot dogs.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post

I can't speak for the whole of Europe obviously, as I only have experience of seven or eight western European countries, but in the UK you will normally get ice in a coke, although you might find that if you are in a pub they will ask you if you want it or not. You will probably only be given a few cubes though rather than a glass full, as people are inclined to complain if they get a glass full of ice and no drink. Lager beers are generally served cold, but bitter beers are served a few degrees warmer.

I think the room temperature thing with food is more common in Mediterranean countries where it's warmer - we like hot meals in the UK, especially in the winter.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    For those of you who are scared of hot dogs (and rightfully so!) I finally found one brand that is safe: Hebrew Nation. Try 'em-especially if you have kids! The motto is "we answer to a higher power"lol. and 95 calories. And clean!!!!
    I've been scared of hot dogs since I was a kid. My mum used to boil them, not grill them. I remember that the water was always hot pink afterwards. Ick!

I can't bear it when my drink is filled with ice! It just means the company get away with giving me less drink! Not to say I like my drink luke-warm, but too much ice is just a waste, and makes an expensive drink!

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    I can't bear it when my drink is filled with ice! It just means the company get away with giving me less drink! Not to say I like my drink luke-warm, but too much ice is just a waste, and makes an expensive drink!
    Well, say I was in England at a resturant-would they frown if I ordered a coke AND a glass of ice? Could that be the best way?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Drinking your beverages ice cold with lots of ice is not good for you at all. I don't like drinks that are supposed to be cold served lukewarm, but I don't like them filled with ice either. One or two small cubes is plenty. And even then, I don't use them unless it's very hot, or I'm having an alcoholic beverage.

I always think it's a way to skimp on the actual beverage. I don't like crushed ice at all. I don't want that much crap water diluting whatever it is I'm drinking. When I make ice at home, I always make it from filtered water.

I do like my beverages quite hot, tho, and that isn't good for your system either. Neither too hot or too cold -- it screws up a lot of things
    Last edited by pacific breeze; April 1st, 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information