View Poll Results: Are you an ethical eater?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 33.33%
  • No.

8 26.67%
  • Sometimes.

9 30.00%
  • Don't know or care.

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What foods do you consider unethical to eat?

Default Re: What foods do you consider unethical to eat?

I only eat meat once in a blue moon. if I do it's McDonald's, and I can't verify that's meat anyway! I eat Egg Beaters when I can, but stuff like birthday cake I don't get all holier than thou and refuse to eat it if it has eggs or milk. Other than that, no meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
    I don't eat meat at all. I buy cage free eggs and I only drink soy milk (I think it tastes much better!)

I'm especially opposed to factory farmed ANYTHING. Veal and foie gras absolutely disgusts me.

pretty much the same for me...except i take it easy on the soy milk...it'll make you fat so sometimes i drink just plain ol' skim milk.

A*O

In order to make it palatable, soy milk can be FULL of sugar. Beware and read the label. When the 'lactose intolerant' baby fad hit the UK a while back and neurotic mothers gave their babies powdered soymilk there was an explosion of kids with blackened stumps popping through instead of nice white baby teeth. Their teeth had literally rotted inside the gums from all the sugar in the soy baby formula.

Because I drink it, I have always given my kids ordinary lo/no fat cows milk, sometimes with extra calcium/vitamins/whatever, and because they have never known any different they don't mind at all.

We are not vegan/vegitarians but I usually make a couple of family meals per week with little or no animal products, mainly because we are blessed with such a variety of veggies here so it's easy to find interesting and nutritious ingredients. We sometimes go through a No Meat phase, but I could never give up fish or dairy on a long term basis.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i try. i buy organic, free range, etc. fair trade coffee. i eat a lot of fresh food, i hate most processed stuff. i try to buy a lot of local produce and specialties. it's not hard since i'm in switzerland, right next door to france and they just love their food, they have the best cheeses and veggies at the market on weekends.
    but i love meat, i'll eat veal, venison (had some last week, it's hunting season so it's on all the menus in restaurants), every part of the cow (except for the tongue), duck, ostrich, horse, and fish and sea food, except for endangered species. and if i ever go to china, i'll probably try cat and dog too ;-)
    i don't feel bad about eating foie gras though... yeah i know it's a horrible practice, but it tastes sooo good, i can't quite bring myself to care...

What's the deal with foie gras?? I don't like organ meats, so that's why I've never had it. And yet, I've had livermush and I LOVE it!!! Or, liver pudding. It's a southern thing, so maybe a bunch of you will have no idea what I'm talking about. I like it fried as a sandwich with good ole American cheese, or mixed up in a bowl of grits with cheese, eggs, butter and black pepper!

http://www.neesesausage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    What's the deal with foie gras?? I don't like organ meats, so that's why I've never had it. And yet, I've had livermush and I LOVE it!!! Or, liver pudding. It's a southern thing, so maybe a bunch of you will have no idea what I'm talking about. I like it fried as a sandwich with good ole American cheese, or mixed up in a bowl of grits with cheese, eggs, butter and black pepper!

http://www.neesesausage.com/
    livermush sounds good. if you like that, chances are you'll like foie gras, it's soooo good. and it's not like eating a piece of liver, it's very soft and mushy too.i love the goose one, but my favourite is duck. with some toasted bread and in some places they serve it with a bit of chutney on the side.

A*O

This is a deeper philosophical/ethical question. If you are prepared to eat meat - any animal product - then all it really boils down to (sorry for the pun) is whether you like the actual taste of whatever you are eating. It should make no difference if you are eating a nice piece of cow muscle (steak) than a lamb's liver or whatever. If you prefer not to eat animal flesh for moral and/or health reasons that's fine too - I don't have a problem with eating vegegarian although I admit I'd find it hard to give up dairy and eggs too. And fish. LOL
    I think people who choose to be vegetarian/vegan for moral reasons are different from those who make those choices for health reasons. I guarantee that if I made a lucious bacon sandwich on fresh bread with extra tomato and mayo BOTH camps would be tempted LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ I'd only be tempted if you took off the tomato!

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    But I do think it's wrong to cause undue stress and pain and agony on animals just so we can put 'em in our bellies. How we treat the animals before we eat them is what I find unethical.
    That's how I feel. I don't have a problem with eating meat at all, but I think factory farming is wicked and so I buy free range and organic. I think that cheap meat generally tastes like shit anyway - textureless, flavourless, and stuffed full of all sorts of antibiotics and growth hormones and crap. No thank you.

I agree with the people who said they don't buy from Zimbabwe or Israel. And I also don't buy French apples and meat. Their farming industry is protected to a ridiculous extent and I can remember them blockading ports to stop British produce. So they can keep theirs. Um, apart from the cheese and the wine.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information