Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What foods to buy and what to skip at Trader Joes

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Yup ... I should put it in my signature. I always end up making reference to it and no one knows why in the world I care so much about corn
    Wow, I've never heard of that. What about HFCS (high-fructose corn sweetener). Does that cause an allergic reaction, too?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of that. What about HFCS (high-fructose corn sweetener). Does that cause an allergic reaction, too?
    HFCS definitely causes reactions. I have relatively severe reactions to derivitives like citric acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, etc. Corn starch in some curry paste sent me into anaphylaxis. It's a bummer, but damn am I healthy not being able to eat any processed foods.

HFCS definitely causes reactions. I have relatively severe reactions to derivitives like citric acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, etc. Corn starch in some curry paste sent me into anaphylaxis. It's a bummer, but damn am I healthy not being able to eat any processed foods.
    Yeah, I would think that by the time you are excluding all those derivatives and combinations, you would end up with a very simple, organic type of diet.

If you start to feel anaphylaxis coming on, can you self administer your epi pen in time? I've been curious because I wondered what I would do if someone next to me in a restaurant started to have a reaction.

Yeah, I would think that by the time you are excluding all those derivatives and combinations, you would end up with a very simple, organic type of diet.

If you start to feel anaphylaxis coming on, can you self administer your epi pen in time? I've been curious because I wondered what I would do if someone next to me in a restaurant started to have a reaction.
    I am lucky in that my anaphylaxis shows itself initially with a moderate drop in blood pressure, which gives me plenty of time to administer the pen to myself. Some aren't so lucky and drop unconscious before they even know it is happening. At the dr office and when out to eat (the most likely places for a reaction) I keep my epi-pen on my lap or on the table so it's clear to folks around me that I might need it. Otherwise they would have to dig through my purse to even know I might need the pen.

I am lucky in that my anaphylaxis shows itself initially with a moderate drop in blood pressure, which gives me plenty of time to administer the pen to myself. Some aren't so lucky and drop unconscious before they even know it is happening. At the dr office and when out to eat (the most likely places for a reaction) I keep my epi-pen on my lap or on the table so it's clear to folks around me that I might need it. Otherwise they would have to dig through my purse to even know I might need the pen.
    Thanks, that's one of the things I wanted to know. When I first enrolled my daughter in nursery school, we saw that about half the kids in the class had allergies severe enough that the parents provided epi pens to be used in an emergency. It was a real eye opener.

I think my concern is that I might be confused whether someone is choking or experiencing anaphylaxis. Do people with severe allergies wear bracelets that can be checked in an emergency?

Thanks, that's one of the things I wanted to know. When I first enrolled my daughter in nursery school, we saw that about half the kids in the class had allergies severe enough that the parents provided epi pens to be used in an emergency. It was a real eye opener.

I think my concern is that I might be confused whether someone is choking or experiencing anaphylaxis. Do people with severe allergies wear bracelets that can be checked in an emergency?
    It depends on the person. I do, but primarily because a glucose IV is so common in an ambulance ride and would cause me tremendous issue. Often people who are anaphylactic will shows hives or swelling on the face and neck, which is the biggest and most obvious tipoff.

Wow. Thanks for all that information. I really appreciate it.

Yup ... I should put it in my signature. I always end up making reference to it and no one knows why in the world I care so much about corn
    I have a corn allergy too! People look at me funny when I tell them. I break out in hives and rashes.

Why would a glucose IV be a problem?
    Coffee is my happy drug

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    I have a corn allergy too! People look at me funny when I tell them. I break out in hives and rashes.

Why would a glucose IV be a problem?
    Oh good lord I missed this ages ago - so sorry. Dextrose is often in glucose IVs ... so if you have a life threatening corn allergy they could effectively kill you in the ambulance. Nice huh?

Bronze Member hunterlovesgossip's Avatar

I love their chocolate covered pretzels.

Mine shows with swelling inside the mouth and throat--sort of a horrible grainy feeling and a "lump in the throat" sensation that won't go away. Then other stuff sets in, notably panic, body itching/hives all over, endless sneezing and bizarre head congestion. I've sneezed about 75 times in a row. I've been so congested I couldn't barely swallow from the pressure. There's also nasty stomach pain and vomiting. My allergy is to peanuts.

Oh good lord I missed this ages ago - so sorry. Dextrose is often in glucose IVs ... so if you have a life threatening corn allergy they could effectively kill you in the ambulance. Nice huh?
    Holy shit. At least they don't put peanut oil in IVs. My heartfelt sympathies to you!!!

I've never had to use an epi-pen (though I have one!) I get very uncomfortable but have never fully gone into shock. My worst episode was at a youth hostel in Scotland, late at night, in 1989. I was totally alone, young, and too stupid to seek help. Luckily, I survived and ever since I've been so paranoid about everything I eat. I've had a couple of near misses, but nothing like THAT again.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

It's scary for sure. Glad you've got it under control. The lump in the throat is irritating.

Bronze Member

i like their almond ring (sweet bread)
    pretzel rolls for sandwiches, spicy mozzarella stick, scones
    and their combo potato chips (red, blue and yellow)

Hi! I'm New Here!

I always go straight for the frozen chili lime chicken burgers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information