Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird eating habits: do you have any?

Chilly, you're on!

ETA: i don't eat junk, just basic food and thats the way I like it. Re textures: bleugh, anything that is slimey or excessively chewy is off for me. I think I have a super-sensitive gag-reflex or something, because the texture of foods like pasta (slimey), mushrooms (too smooth!), yoghurt (sooo slippery, and especially gross with bits) and tomatoes (what the fuck?!?) make me wanna throw up.

Also I agree, you order the food in a restaurant, you eat it the way you want to, ie with ketchup

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
    ^ I put ketchup on almost everything. I have to dip my food or I just don't enjoy it.

I don't care if I am at an expensive place or not, I am the one paying for it and I will eat it the way I enjoy it. haha
    I spit out my coffee on this one, greeneyed! You sound exactly like my mom, bless her heart. I was raised middle class, and my ex-husband was brought up well-to-do. My mother was a child of the Great Depression, and has rarely gone out to eat (too expensive, not in her value system). She actually asked a waiter what the finger bowl was for in front of my ex, and he got so upset. And I don't blame him! I was embarrassed too. Unfortunately she wasn't old then so I couldn't blame it on that

Last night she was telling the waitress all this extraneous stuff that had nothing to do with the meal. Old folks don't get how fast we live now and how people don't chitchat in restaurants like they used to-unless it's the greasy spoon!

As for ketchup, she doesn't do that, but she has to have bread and butter with every single meal, and a cup of coffee no matter what time it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Old folks don't get how fast we live now and how people don't chitchat in restaurants like they used to-unless it's the greasy spoon!
    Mira, my MIL is terrible for that. Not just in restaurants but she will chat at length to ANYBODY. I think it's because she doesn't have a partner and is a bit lonely, so I feel for her but especially in restaurants it can be so embarrassing!!!

PS. I don't know what a finger bowl is for. I'm hoping not knowing is just a language barrier and not an indication of my classlessness.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Don't worry bella, it's just one of those bowls with water in it so you can clean your fingers. I think it's more tradition now than anything else, except in the classiest of places. For God's Sake, that restaurant was in the L.A. 'burbs out in the vineyard sticks at the time (now it's called RANCHO Cucamonga) That's a whole other story - thread, actually. To me, they just were being pretentious for the local country club folks.

I'm trying to think of the weirdest food I've ever been served. I have to say it was in the Middle East.... something was put in front of me at a house we were visiting. I looked at my MIL and my eyes told her "I am NOT eating that, I don't care how embarrassed you get!" When we got home I said what the HELL was that and she laughed but I know she was embarrassed and had to blame it on my new pregnancy to her friends. Seriously, it was some kind of fish thing (they don't eat pork, thank God), but the way it was prepared, I'd rather starve.

Texture is huge for me, but I don't mind mushrooms. I feel the same way about most raw tomatoes, though. Never liked jello, or most puddings. I love raw oysters, but I don't really chew them. They just slide down my throat.

I don't eat any slimy seafood or veggies, or anything like that. Oatmeal is tough for me to eat, but it is nutritious so I do eat it occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Don't worry bella, it's just one of those bowls with water in it so you can clean your fingers. I think it's more tradition now than anything else, except in the classiest of places.
    I thought so! At least I can rest assured that I have the class not to ask everyone what it was!

I don't do slimy seafood either, but I'll eat steamed clams...go figure. They are little pieces of rubber. I love a good linguine and clam sauce. I don't eat octopus or calamari either.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh hell. KrisNine you're reminding me of the time I ate Luminaria's across the fwy. from Cal State L.A. when I was working downtown. I was on a first date, and I made the mistake of ordering paella. When it came with about 9 little calamari faces staring up at me, I couldn't eat a thing. I had to send it back. The guy was cool about it, just laughed.

NO WAY can I eat something with a face on it that is tough, grainy and slimy.

^ Ugh, I couldn't do that either.
    I would be so upset for the poor little creature to begin with but it would gross me out for it to be looking at me too.

So you don't like the calamari with the squiggly tentacles? Those come with the most crispy vittles, extra chewy!

My tastes are very New England- boiled, fried fish, steamers, bread pudding, corn bread, succotash, that kindof stuff.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

OK I confess that like Lobelia I can eat calamari if it's chopped up in little pieces and breaded and crispy-fried, dumped onto a great salad!

Hit By Ban Bus!

OK now Dean, YOU'RE reminding me of the one and only time I was at the Cape Cod coast, yet again with a guy I'd just met. I decided to order a plate of a "dozen clams on the half shell" without knowing what it really was. I had to send it back and the waitresses all got a good laugh. How the hell was a Waspy L.A. girl from the burbs supposed to know that they're RAW??!! My dad grew up there but he'd never told us about that. Holy crap! I know people who lurve this stuff and that's their favorite weird thing to eat.

I love raw oysters, delicious! But they have to be chilled, room temperature is a little gaggy. They're so gold with a little lemon juice, bottle of Sammy Lite, and a side of fries. mmmmm...

And a fisherman's platter of fried clams, scallops, fish, and calamari. Fantastic. I never really got into mussels until I moved to New York, they serve more mussels here than in NE.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh holy crap. MUSSELS.

Moving right along, I actually like the oyster thing you described, I lived in West Marin County (just north of S.F.) for a long time, and many of the restaurants there serve up a wonderful spread like that. I am getting better.

Once in Paris ,my SIL and i went to a FRENCH,real french brasserie for lunch.No English on the menu.but i ordered for her and i asked for a salad for myself,most of the food was meat.
    The guy brought the salad,a huge plate of just raw vegetables.
    I told him smiling politely,for me vegetarian does not exactly means i am a cow.
    We agreed he will get me something else.
    By this time i was so hungry i was eating the baguette and eying my sil ,s steak.
    So i asked for this plate,assured the guy i knew what it was with a nodd and a smile,and i said to my sil .that of course i had no idea.
    Next thing you know,a little round silvery dish arrived,containing 6 snails and a spoonful of greenish sauce in the middle.
    I payed 13 euros for it,i ATE the stuff and i cant forget it....
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Thread Information