Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: A Week of Groceries In Different Countries

My shopping cart looks pristine except for the occasional ice cream, cheese and booze.

But that's only because we eat out at restaurants like 80% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Damn it was so much easier when breakfast was a cup of tea & a fag.
    I wish I could like this a thousand times over. I was a lot less stressed when I sucked down that sweet demon nicotine on a regular basis. And then I had to go and give a shit about what it was doing to me. The struggle.
    Novice likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

No judgement from me, either. If I worked outside of my home, I wouldn't be able to cook the way I do. By the time I would pick my kid up at daycare and get home to cook, it would be past 7:00. I'd rather have that time with my daughter, not chopping and cooking.

Oh, I should have added frozen pizza to my list. My kid loves the little frozen pizza from Trader Joe's.

Cigarettes and coffee. Breakfast of champions. Ahhh. I still miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Damn it was so much easier when breakfast was a cup of tea & a fag.
    it sure was
    Novice likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Haven't been judged re. the groceries (afaik), but I tend to buy (considered weird here in TX) stuff like fennel and people ask me what I make with it.
    i buy loads of fennel too, especially in fall and winter. i find it funny that a lot of places here mislabel it as anise.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I eat fennel raw with a bit of salt.
    sputnik likes this.

A*O

My mother is an aniseed addict and will eat anything that tastes even close, including fennel. I make a great carb free "mash" of fennel, cauliflower and celery blitzed in the blender. Perfect topping for a cottage pie.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

What's weird is I hate most everything anise flavored. Liquor, licorice, etc. I love fennel.
    witchcurlgirl and faithanne like this.

i like anise but don't love it. but i LOVE fennel. it's one of my favourite veggies. and fennel and salmon is one of my favourite food combos.
    plus you can do so much with it. it's great raw in salads, steamed, roasted, stir-fried, puréed... the possibilities are endless.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes, it's really tasty, especially raw in salads. I also like it caramelized. And hubby hates it, so more for me.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I cook dinner *almost* every night. I love to cook, and even though I work full time and have the munchkin, I seem to be pretty good at time management. I do prep some things the night before, and a lot of what I cook is healthy, but very quick and easy. Also, I'll make things like meatloaf or lasagna on the weekends and make two of each so I can freeze them and pull them out as needed. I take advantage of my oven's programmable feature so that the lasagna is ready when we get home, and it's ready to eat.

This week we had lasagna on monday, chicken paprikash on tuesday (chicken pieces stewed with peppers, onions, tomatoes and paprika, served over noodles with a dollop of sour cream. Cucumber salad on side. prep time - 10 min). Leftovers on Wednesday. Tonight we're having falafel, tzatziki and greek salad. I made the falafel "dough" last night, because I find it holds together better when it's sat for awhile, and set the yogurt to drain this morning for the tzatiki. I'll probably spend less than 30 minutes in the kitchen and dinner will be ready. My daughter also likes to help, so it is a bonding time for us.

We don't drink pop. I buy not from concentrate orange juice, and we have a soda stream, so we drink 1/3 oj and 2/3 soda water. Lots of milk, yogurt, fresh fruit and veggies. Shit tons of bananas.

for a nice thick tzatziki,use strained yogurt and strain all water off the shredded cucumber..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I cook dinner *almost* every night. I love to cook, and even though I work full time and have the munchkin, I seem to be pretty good at time management. I do prep some things the night before, and a lot of what I cook is healthy, but very quick and easy. Also, I'll make things like meatloaf or lasagna on the weekends and make two of each so I can freeze them and pull them out as needed. I take advantage of my oven's programmable feature so that the lasagna is ready when we get home, and it's ready to eat.

This week we had lasagna on monday, chicken paprikash on tuesday (chicken pieces stewed with peppers, onions, tomatoes and paprika, served over noodles with a dollop of sour cream. Cucumber salad on side. prep time - 10 min). Leftovers on Wednesday. Tonight we're having falafel, tzatziki and greek salad. I made the falafel "dough" last night, because I find it holds together better when it's sat for awhile, and set the yogurt to drain this morning for the tzatiki. I'll probably spend less than 30 minutes in the kitchen and dinner will be ready. My daughter also likes to help, so it is a bonding time for us.

We don't drink pop. I buy not from concentrate orange juice, and we have a soda stream, so we drink 1/3 oj and 2/3 soda water. Lots of milk, yogurt, fresh fruit and veggies. Shit tons of bananas.
    do you mix the concentrate with water or are you just mixing the concentrate itself?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^
    not from concentrate. i think she mixes just the juice with soda

For my tzatziki, I grate the cucumber with the peel and manually wring the excess water off it before putting it in the yoghurt. I also put a little vinegar in the mix and dill. It's not tzatziki without dill! In some recipes they add olive oil in it but I think it's fine without too if you want to make it lighter.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information