Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: A Week of Groceries In Different Countries

Regular shopping staples look something like this for me - bear in mind my kids eat several tons of food per day:

Romaine lettuce
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Broccoli
    Onions, garlic, shallots (although not every week because we buy them in bulk at Costco and they last forever)
    Squash, eggplant or zucchini
    Mushrooms
    Bell peppers
    Whatever other veggies look interesting/good price
    Diced tomatoes, canned
    Ass-tons of Bananas
    Apples, oranges, pears
    Frozen blueberries, cherries or mango chunks
    1% Milk
    10% Cream
    Eggs, LOTS
    Cheese
    Bread, but I make my own
    Greek yogurt
    Frozen yogurt for the kids, fruit flavoured so I won’t eat it!
    Butter (less than 1 lb a week though)
    Natural peanut butter (ditto)
    Jam, but I use my own preserves
    Caesar salad dressing (don’t buy every week but use regularly)
    Chicken (could be just about any cut)
    Pork or beef, whatever looks good
    Fresh salmon
    Frozen shrimp
    Fresh (live) mussels (not every week, but pretty regularly)
    Live lobster (yeah, right! Maybe every couple of months)
    Bacon
    Cheerios
    Ginger snaps or other cookies that we keep in the car
    Coffee, whole bean
    Coke Zero cans (1 or 2 12-packs per month)
    Sparkling water, glass bottles

The kids love pasta but since my husband and I went low-carb we haven’t had to buy any in ages; ditto rice, flour, oats, carrots, peas, potatoes...
    SuriCruise likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I'm a food obsessed bitch so I love judging other people on their groceries. Now that I have a social life, since going to other people's houses I can see why a decent chunk of people I know are overweight. Same with grocery shopping, I turn it into a competition. I love checking out other carts and feeling proud of my own. I buy loads of fruits and vegetables and since I'm wheat-free and dairy-free, I buy rice pasta and quinoa and lentils every once and a while (but I don't tend to eat grains) and the only dairy I buy is parmesan cheese to put on one of my daily dishes I make. This week I bought apples, kale, spinach, pomegranates, ingredients for guacamole, peas, bell pepper, sweet potato, carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, asparagus, brussel sprouts, mango, blackberries, mushrooms... other stuff but I can't remember, but all fruits and vegetables. The only things I buy boxed or prepackaged are almond milk and non-wheat pastas, or no salt added beans. Oh, and a particular marinara sauce, I just bought that because I'm too lazy to make it myself, but I plan on starting soon.

I'm a perfect example of those food-obsessed hyper competitive "let me tell you about my diet" people, so seeing the USA people makes me cringe. I am a huge emotional eater as well so I have stuffed my face with plenty of junk when I'm on a binge, but I recognized it as junk and felt ashamed. Not that everyone should feel shame and obsess about "bad" foods like I do, but to have so little knowledge about the fuel you're giving your body blows my mind. 2 tomatoes and some grapes are the only non-processed foods they have. How can they put that in their body regularly?
    Last edited by Brah; November 20th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

In my case it depends how much cooking I'll do that week, some weeks I'll have time to cook every night or almost, and take leftovers to work for lunch the next day. Some weeks I live on deli and restaurant food.

It's me and my roommate and we share food so well do the groceries together and split the cost.
    A typical week:

ground lean turkey meat
    salmon or trout or some kind of fish
    boneless chicken thighs or breast (my roommate likes bland chicken breast, I prefer darker meat, so we'll alternate)
    Eggs
    seltzer. Lots of it. We're addicted and we need to get our act together and buy a fucking soda fountain
    some fruit. Whatever is seasonal. Apples and clementines in fall and winter usually.
    veggies: usually cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, beets, mushrooms, snow peas, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce and other salad greens, in fall and winter lots of butternut squash. Shallots and green onions a lot too.
    we always have fresh ginger root, garlic and onions
    We always have a variety of pasta and noodles, some Italian and also soba noodles, rice noodles, Chinese egg noodles, etc. some rice too though i almost never eat it unless I make curries or dhal.
    there are usually red lentils for dhal as well
    milk
    butter
    Crackers, usually triscuits
    yoghurt (regular for me, my roommate still eats that nasty 0% shit that's loaded with crap)
    cheese. always.
    Sour cream
    beer and wine
    dark chocolate
    coffee, espresso ground. Usually illy or the organic fair trade stuff from our local grocer
    kosher salt, pepper, sriracha, soy sauce, olive oil, a variety of mustards and vinegars, a collection different hot sauces, sesame oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, etc. are always in our kitchen.

we try to buy organic as much as possible but we're not total nazis except for milk, chicken/turkey, eggs
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Mine is simple-Greek Yogurt(big package from Sams) salad mix,tomatos,sweet potatos.One purple onion.Belvita breakfast things(cookie-ish. I love hearing my dogs crunch on them. I share) olives,nuts-heart healthy packs & walnuts,Louisianne tea
    bages ,Folgers French roast coffee. Multigrain omega3 bread(has lots of nuts & seeds). Always,sugar free tropical flavor popsicles.
    Novice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Since I stay at home, I shop every other day. Not for the staples, but mostly for fresh bread and produce. I don't like to use frozen meats, so I only buy what I'm going to use in the next 2 or 3 days. Frozen chicken or frozen ground turkey is fine but not beef or steaks. I try to buy organic when possible or reasonable. Eggs and milk for sure. Chicken I prefer to be organic. Berries, grapes and I think organic bananas taste better. Not sure why.

My daughter eats tons of fruit. Clementines are one of her favorites. She also loves bananas, apples and grapes. I try to have those on hand all the time. I'm not much of a fruit eater. I make up for it with veggies. I love all veggies, except beets.

I keep the house stocked because typically I cook three meals a day. Weekends are the exception. We usually grab something for lunch or dinner on the weekends. A few times a year, I'll make a big pot of spaghetti/pasta sauce. It's super good and I freeze it in dinner sized portions.

Mostly, my week would look like this:

Chicken
    Ground turkey
    seafood. Usually fish(salmon or trout), but I also will pick up shrimp or crabmeat.
    Italian or polish sausage
    beef or steak
    fruit: apples, oranges, pears, bananas, grapes, etc. Seasonal fruits and berries are always in the fridge.
    veggies: several types of lettuce, squash, asparagus, beans, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers, onions, garlic, shallots, potatoes, cucumbers, carrots and jicama if it's around.
    bread. Either fresh or sliced italian. I hate wheat bread, unless it's from a bakery.
    waffles for the kid
    turkey sausage for the kid
    milk
    eggs
    cheeses
    crackers (triscuit and goldfish for the kid)

I always have canned tomatoes and beans on hand for sauces and salads. Panko bread crumbs to make the kidlet fresh baked chicken tenders. Pastas and basmati rice (a half persian household cannot do without), olives, pickles, nuts, sauces, vinegars, seltzer (lemon or lime) and of course, coffee.

Sunday's dinner was: Honey mustard pork loin with Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and apple cobbler. Pork bbq tonight with coleslaw.
    We normally try to have a big meal on Sunday and leftovers on Wednesday. We eat light during the rest of the week. Breakfast is not as much as it should be(orange juice and a waffle with peanut butter), but lunch or dinner has more. Normally the kids get at least a banana or apple for lunch. Might only get one entre for dinner with a side of something. Usually chicken with green beans. Friday night is always take out night because we stay up late and sleep in Saturday morning.

A*O

Mini Rant: Why do people look at what I have in my shopping trolley and JUDGE me? It's usually little old ladies and they are shameless about it just looking me up and down, into the trolley, up and down again. Fuck OFF. My shopping habits are perfectly normal and ordinary and there's nothing weird or unusual in there. Not much processed or junk it's true but grannies tend not to eat that shit either. Or maybe they see something and think "ohhhhh, that looks nice, I'll get some of that".
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I always think others are judging me. It's usually a bunch of healthy choices in my trolley and then that one bit of junk that caught my eye and I couldn't do without. I get a paranoid desire to camouflage my junkfood under some lettuce, or something.

One time I was on the express counter right behind a couple who could hardly take their hands off each other. Their only purchases: a box of condoms and a big bottle of lube. My only purchases: chocolates and catfood. FML
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

A*O

Glad you responded yanna because the worst culprits are the local Greek grannies! LOL They judge me in the supermarket while their husbands sit on a bench outside smoking and gossiping. Then they pile into an ancient, massive Mercedes and erratically drive away in clouds of oily smoke. Just like Athens!
    sputnik likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I was actually just getting ready to say this, Fuck You to all you, "I only eat healthy, organic only, blah, blah, blah." Knowfuckingwhat? I have 3 kids and work 2 part time jobs, with a full time working hubby, and kids with sporting events almost every day. I don't have time to cook healthy, perfectly balanced meals every day. I'm a little annoyed that I have to spend my night putting all my shit away because the cleaning lady comes tomorrow. Yeah, I don't clean my own house either.

My last grocery shopping trip consisted of: frozen pizza, milk, eggs, bread, goldfish crackers, grapes, potatoes, chicken broth, pop, cereal and not the healthy shit, I bought Cinnamon Toast Crunch, fucking nasty Banquet frozen dinners cuz my kids like salsbury steak (shudder), red meat and I think some spaghetti. Oh, and ice cream. Cuz my kid won't take a shit without eating ice cream.

Judge away.
    Novice, A*O, OrangeSlice and 3 others like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

No judgement Louis! My shopping list is really depressing since I'm poor and live by myself at the moment. This week I got: lactose free cheese, milk and yoghurt, frozen chicken, package of stir fry mix, bag of basmati rice, loaf of thick white bread, cans of tuna, cat food and litter, cans of diet irn bru, cheese and onion crisps and a big bag of malteasers. My dinner tonight was chicken noodle soup that I made myself, and was mediocre at best. Yesterday I had a sammich. I may go to my parent's tomorrow so I can eat something that's actual food.

I loved these photos, the ones with all the fresh produce look so appetising. I like that family from Bhutan, that's a lovely pic.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I usually eat standing up at 9-10 pm at night, while cooking his dinner if it's Monday-Thursday, Friday-Sunday he is away & I eat dinner 9-10pm standing up in the kitchen washing up or doing some other chore. Saturday night I try to eat sitting down (luxury!).
    therefore I eat what is easy & usually share it with the dog , so lunch is more important & is usually tuna salad or a "healthy choice" microwave meal - m&s does nice ones that seem to be made of real food (salmon, potatoes, etc).
    breakfast is porridge if I have any ... Damn it was so much easier when breakfast was a cup of tea & a fag.

My "weekly" shop usually consists of massive amounts of dog/cat food, lots of milk, reduced cake or veggies for the chickens.
    Laurent likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I do 90% of the shopping every week and I could recite the list in my sleep and backwards if I have to. I could even tell you how many feet I walk from one item to the next -- it's so sad. Some of these items last more than a week.

But basically:

3 gallons of skim milk
    3 to 4 dozen eggs
    fresh spinach
    greek yogurt
    protein bars (for the kids - I want them to be the size of linebackers when they are finished growing)
    at least two frozen packages of 85% lean ground beef. It used to be ground turkey, but the kids hate it now
    One frozen pizza
    One package of boneless chicken breasts
    One jar of spaghetti sauce
    Two pounds of dried spachettie noodles
    One box of potato flakes
    One packet of powdered gravy
    Two loaves of whole wheat bread
    A box of Saltine crackers
    Flavored coffee creamer
    Unflavored coffee creamer
    Splenda
    Nutrigrain bars
    Ground decaf coffee
    Ground coffee
    Low-fat Turkey sausage
    Turkey bacon
    Steak
    Pork
    Potatoes (not canned!)
    Onions (not canned!)
    Carrots
    Tomatoes
    Green Peppers
    Bananas (about 4 pounds, I think)
    Two packages of mushroom
    Snap peas (for my wife who eats them at work)
    Green beans (for my wife who eats them at work)
    Orange juice not from concentrate, medium pulp (for my wife, but the kids drink it, too)
    Low-fat dessert snacks for my kids' lunch
    Pringles for my son's lunch
    Rice chips (either ranch of cheddar) for my daughter's lunch
    Apples
    Juice packs for the kids' lunch
    Lunch meat for my son's sandwiches

Haven't been judged re. the groceries (afaik), but I tend to buy (considered weird here in TX) stuff like fennel and people ask me what I make with it.

Weekly shopping:

Cheeses
    Salmon, sometimes shrimp
    Lots of fresh fruit, mostly what's in season and i try to buy the dirty dozen organic. Last time, bananas, pineapple, apples, oranges, mandarins, pears, grapes. Still have loads of poms from our tree, otherwise I'd buy those too.
    fresh veggies, kale, power greens, spinach, carrots, beets, fennel, onions, garlic, red potatoes, red cabbage, leeks, green onions, cilantro (bwahaha!), kohlrabi, yams, avocados, peppers, tomatoes.
    Greek yogurt, almond milk, butter, eggs, chive cream cheese, natural bliss vanilla coffee creamer
    frozen veggies and frozen fruit for smoothies
    We don't drink soda, but I buy lots of seltzer. We like it with a squeeze of fresh orange or lemon
    beer and wine
    chocolate, sometimes pretzels or potato chips or corn chips
    salsa
    noodles
    olive oil
    tomato sauce
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I was actually just getting ready to say this, Fuck You to all you, "I only eat healthy, organic only, blah, blah, blah." Knowfuckingwhat? I have 3 kids and work 2 part time jobs, with a full time working hubby, and kids with sporting events almost every day. I don't have time to cook healthy, perfectly balanced meals every day. I'm a little annoyed that I have to spend my night putting all my shit away because the cleaning lady comes tomorrow. Yeah, I don't clean my own house either.

My last grocery shopping trip consisted of: frozen pizza, milk, eggs, bread, goldfish crackers, grapes, potatoes, chicken broth, pop, cereal and not the healthy shit, I bought Cinnamon Toast Crunch, fucking nasty Banquet frozen dinners cuz my kids like salsbury steak (shudder), red meat and I think some spaghetti. Oh, and ice cream. Cuz my kid won't take a shit without eating ice cream.

Judge away.
    No judgement here, Louis. My husband and I are dieting and we've completely cut out snacky carbs (in fact, we're still in the no-fruit phase but that's almost over) and all alcohol (that, also, will not last), so it's pretty much lean protein, lean dairy and veggies for us these days, then we prepare some grain-based stuff and toss it the kids' way, and their fruit is pretty much self-serve. But that's us being very, very good, which is a recent development, lol. And we both work but we work from home, and I know we have it easier in that respect than parents who work full-time outside the home. Our kids like trips to both "the cookie store!" (Sobeys) or "the sample store!" (Costco) so we can all go together any of the days they're not in daycare and can take our time, and I know that's a luxury.

I do feel a bit shitty, because I love farmers' markets and buying locally is very important to me but I just can't make it work right now with the kids and the massive crowds and the no shopping carts and having to bring cash and trying to juggle everything without the kids running off somewhere and then still have to go to another store for the stuff I can't get there! Hopefully we can get back into it when they're a bit older and can be let "off leash" a bit better.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information