Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Vegetarian diet 'weakens bones'

  1. #16
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,602

    Default

    Here is a response from Dr. John McDougall who has been successfully treating lifestyle diseases, including heart disease, cancer and adult-onset diabetes, with a low-fat vegan diet for decades:

    This article published ahead of time in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition was by the same authors as the vegan osteoporosis article I published in my June 2009 newsletter. The article I reported on received little press worldwide and showed results very favorable for a vegan diet and bone health. The McDougall Newsletter - My Favorite Five Articles Recent Medical Journals.

    This study showing negative effects of a vegan diet was a meta-analysis and these kinds of studies are notorious for showing bias and are easily manipulated by the choice of studies included or excluded in the analysis. There are many other criticisms that could be directed to this publication but the most important question to ask is why did this article get so much attention and the other one by the same authors published at the same time received almost none?

    One fact you should know is the meta-analysis article suggesting vegan diets may be bad for the bones (slightly lower BMD) was funded by a AMBeR alliance incorporated in Malaysia, which owns Amber F&B Nutrition Sdn Bhd, a dairy products producer and wholesaler.

    You can write the authors at: tuan.nguyen@unsw.edu.au.and ask your questions about the studies and why the one paid for by dairy money received so much world attention.

    Reference to financial ties: Amber Alliance Sdn Bhd acquires F&B Nutrition Sdn Bhd - Nov 15, 2006 - Deal Snapshot - AlacraStore.com

    ------

    It is very interesting to me that most anti-veg articles can be traced back to meat/dairy producers. There is a wealth of information now that proves without a doubt that vegetarian/vegan diets are perfectly healthy, and mountains of research from reputable people like Dr. McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, Dr Neal Barnard, Dr. Dean Ornish, and John Robbins [to name a few] who back up everything they present to the public with a slew of scientific sources so that you can do further reading, if you choose.

    I also just wanted to say, based on my own experience, that veg diets do NOT require any special planning. Simply eat a wide variety of whole foods, cut the junk, and you are good to go. It isn't difficult or complicated at all.

  2. #17
    Elite Member chartreuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    the salad bowl
    Posts
    6,410

    Default

    ^^ i love to read your posts on vegetarian & vegan eating.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.


  3. #18
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I also just wanted to say, based on my own experience, that veg diets do NOT require any special planning. Simply eat a wide variety of whole foods, cut the junk, and you are good to go. It isn't difficult or complicated at all.
    Maybe not special planning but the healthy vegetarians I know (as opposed to the teenage emos) have taken the trouble to educate themselves about healthy nutrition and what foods to substitute for the meat and/or dairy they don't eat. From my own "veggie" periods I know that while there's plenty of things you can eat it does help if you already have a fairly wide range of tastes and are prepared to try new things or experiment. People who don't or won't already eat a wide variety of fruit, veggies, pulses, legumes etc or things like tofu or soy products etc will find it difficult to maintain a healthy veggie diet. One emo teen veggie I know will only eat rice, potato and frozen peas because she refuses to eat or try anything else. Needless to say she's a pasty, spotty mess and it's not just the hormones.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  4. #19
    Elite Member TonjaLasagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    I'm happy I went Veggie for my health, however I do eat yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat cheeses and organic eggs. Plus, I take one multi-vitamin, extra calcium, CoQ10, Flaxseed and Animi-3 capsules every day.
    My cancer has been in remission now for 2 1/2 years and so far I have not needed chemo.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

  5. #20
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,580

    Default

    Do you think your diet has contributed to your remision? I had a friend in the UK with aggressive breast cancer and she went on a very strict vegan diet (I think it's called the Bristol diet?) designed for cancer patients. 20+ years later she's still in remission. She swears blind it was the diet but the cancer was detected early so who knows. Can't do any harm either way.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  6. #21
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,602

    Default

    I think what bugs me most - really makes me grit my teeth - are the smug self-righteous set who think their diet is automatically superior just because they eat meat and dairy; never mind that they also eat a load of processed crap and haven't seen a vegetable in years.

    I tend to stay away from most conversations about diet these days, but I do enjoy lurking in the vegetarian debates on Buddhist forums. They can be quite entertaining.

  7. #22
    Gold Member powerorchid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I also just wanted to say, based on my own experience, that veg diets do NOT require any special planning. Simply eat a wide variety of whole foods, cut the junk, and you are good to go. It isn't difficult or complicated at all.
    In my experience they do require research and planning because to keep your body healthy long term requires a balanced diet, which is very hard to do with such a restricted diet. For instance I know vegans who don't eat any natural oils, just highly processed vegetable oils, their bodies get no healthy oils. I also know people who have vegan for 20 years with yellow teeth that are wasting away, so obviously they are not managing their diets properly.

    Not sure if many of you remember (I don't know that I posted it at the time as it was pretty raw) but last August my brother, a long term vegan (who didn't put much thought into his diet) died, we are still waiting for the official "cause of death" from the coroner but we expect that one of the main contributing factors is malnutrition. He was also a diabetic and diabetics have trouble absorbing vitamins and nutrients (the few vitamins and nutrients he was getting). I have no problem with vegans but please, do some research on what your body needs - healthy natural oils, how much calcium are you getting? what about vitamin A? what does it do? why do you need it. What do small children's growing bodies and brains need?? where are you getting healthy natural cholesterol from? I hope you have researched and thought about all these things. It actually does take proper planning, you can't just eat vegetables and "be good to go."

    Most "anti-dairy" articles and reports are written by or sponsored by vegans and associated people, just as you say "pro-dairy" is researched by people who promote dairy as healthy. So it cuts both ways if you want to attempt to discredit these reports.

    I'm not going to reply to any critisism of my post, just wanted to give my 2 cents - if you disagree so be it. I don't really want to argue, just given my experience I just ask you to really think about what you are doing. I know vegans who appear healthy, perhaps they love to cook, perhaps they have put more thought into the nutritional value of their diet. But please don't just eat vegetables and highly processed soy products and think it is ok.

  8. #23
    Elite Member TonjaLasagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Do you think your diet has contributed to your remission

    I blame my three year addiction to fast food (McDonald's breakfast) for my cancer. After a bit of nutritional research, I went veggie, also monitoring my acidic food intake, choosing lots of alkaline food to try and keep it 50/50.

    Like your friend, my cancer diagnosis was early.
    I was only a Stage 1, though my encapsulated tumor was as big as a juicy cantaloupe melon {doctor's words}.
    It wasn't my time
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

  9. #24
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    Most "anti-dairy" articles and reports are written by or sponsored by vegans and associated people, just as you say "pro-dairy" is researched by people who promote dairy as healthy. So it cuts both ways if you want to attempt to discredit these reports.
    It doesn't cut both ways. The meat/dairy producers have one goal and one goal only - to make money. They don't give one shit whether you are healthy or not. Doctors like John McDougall put out information on veggie diets to help people, often at the risk of their medical reputations. Even though Dr. McDougall has decades of success treating people with diet, the medical community remains mostly quiet. Why? Because a good diet doesn't put money in the pockets of doctors or the big pharmaceutical companies. Dr. Dean Ornish has proven that you can cure heart disease without surgery or drugs simply by changing a patient's diet and lifestyle. And T. Colin Campbell has decades of research linking dairy to cancer. The bottom line is that teaching people to eat properly isn't a profit-making venture. No one makes money from it. The only person who really benefits is the patient who ends up saving money in the long run because he doesn't get sick.

    Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    I'm not going to reply to any critisism of my post, just wanted to give my 2 cents - if you disagree so be it. I don't really want to argue, just given my experience I just ask you to really think about what you are doing. I know vegans who appear healthy, perhaps they love to cook, perhaps they have put more thought into the nutritional value of their diet. But please don't just eat vegetables and highly processed soy products and think it is ok.
    I have no idea why you'd assume I only eat vegetables and soy. I eat a whole foods diet of grains, greens, vegetables, fruits, and beans with very little soy. I have studied nutrition for the last 25 years and I am very aware of what is healthy and what isn't. I've been a vegetarian since I was 18 and a vegan for the last 13/14 years. My vegan diet allows me to live with rheumatoid arthritis and not have to take any medications. My vegan diet also keeps my genetic disposition to poor circulation in check so that in a few years I don't have to worry about having a leg or a foot amputated like many members of my family.

    I am very on the ball when it comes to diet and nutrition.

  10. #25
    Elite Member MontanaMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Evading P6 & P7
    Posts
    13,652

    Default

    I am a carnivore from my head to my toes. But I think no matter what your preferred diet, it's important to pay attention to what you eat. In my view, the huge agribusinesses are more dangerous than any fanatical terrorist group. But I just flat out love food too much to cut anything out of my diet. For me, the closer I buy my food to the growing source, the better I feel. My first choice is always organic and seasonal.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

  11. #26
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think no matter what your preferred diet, it's important to pay attention to what you eat. In my view, the huge agribusinesses are more dangerous than any fanatical terrorist group ... For me, the closer I buy my food to the growing source, the better I feel. My first choice is always organic and seasonal.
    I absolutely agree and I think you are very wise to do so. All the crap that gets put in food nowadays just to create more product so these businesses can make more money is damn scary.

    I live by the motto - If you can't pronounce it, and you don't know what it is, don't eat it!

  12. #27
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I am very on the ball when it comes to diet and nutrition.
    No doubt. I think what powerorchid is saying is that a lot of vegans don't do their research and don't understand the basic principles of nutrition and a balanced diet. When you are not getting your protein and certain vitamins and other nutrients from animal products you have to ensure you get them from other sources and that involves educating yourself properly.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  13. #28
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    No doubt. I think what powerorchid is saying is that a lot of vegans don't do their research and don't understand the basic principles of nutrition and a balanced diet. When you are not getting your protein and certain vitamins and other nutrients from animal products you have to ensure you get them from other sources and that involves educating yourself properly.
    exactly.
    i am not denying that a vegan diet can be healthy, but the fact is it does require more thought and effort, especially if you're not eating at home every day and can't cook every one of your meals.
    one of my vegan friends is the first to admit this. he spends a lot of time travelling - he'll work for a few months, make heaps of money and then go backpacking for 6 months. and he's told me that especially in countries where meat eating is the norm, there will be periods where he practically lives on avocados and olive oil and fruit, or where he has to start eating dairy and eggs because otherwise it's too difficult to remain healthy.
    when he's back home it's easier because he knows exactly where to buy food, he has time to cook (and a kitchen, as opposed to living out of a backpack) and access to a wider variety of food. but he admits it's more work and when he made the decision to go vegan, he knew that he would be spending a lot of time and effort on food.

    at my last posting, a girl i worked with ended up anaemic because we'd be at the UN all day for meetings and then the office and you just don't have time to cook, and while the rest of us could just get a wide variety of sandwiches and mixed salads with chicken or tuna or anything else from the cafeteria, her choices were green salad, granola bar or cheese sandwich, and after a while that takes its toll on your health.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  14. #29
    Elite Member Shinola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Smokin' with your baby
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Regarding anemia, I had big problems with it during my pregnancy. Liquid chlorophyll completely saved me, and I can't recommend it strongly enough. I've never tried the tablets but am guessing they're also good.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

  15. #30
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,580

    Default

    Interesting. I can't take iron supplements because my whole gastro system goes into lockdown and no about of fibre will shift it. TMI but it is what it is LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM
  2. Vegetarian nut loaf
    By pacific breeze in forum Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
  3. Vegetarian cookbooks
    By JerriBlank in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
  4. Could you be a vegetarian ?
    By Goely in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
  5. Who's your favorite vegetarian?
    By Blackberry in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •